[Ext] Console² 0.1 to 0.3.6.2

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Another nightly for people using a different theme (<a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/console2-dev.xpi">v0.1.7.3+</a>): I've modified the code determining the icons to be shown and should now display on most themes the correct ones - should you not be satisfied with this solution, I'll think about simply including the winstripe icons (as I do now for the toolbar icons - these are not (yet) present in winstripe, at all). Additionally there are an Italian and a French locale for testing.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

console2 v0.1.7.3+ freezes Firefox Firefox/1.4 - Beta Build ID: 2005092506 when using AquaTint theme.
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

I've got you some good and some bad news about that: the good news are that I've had a serious bug in the icon fixing code which threw 2 errors per message, resulting thus in an endless loop (that's one of the risks of fiddling with the console) - I've updated the nightly about 10 minutes after your note. The bad news however are that precisely the AquaTint theme (and some few others) is not supported since the icons it uses are in some non-standard place.

Now I have few possible choices:
* simply ignore those themes which are too troublesome to worry about
* include a hack for each non-standard theme we discover
* rely on the themes to correctly overlay my own stylesheet (which obviously none of them does and at best few ever will)
* include the winstripe icons and ship with a pure winstripe-look only (I suppose this should legally be OK)
* be lucky and get provided with a clean new look (icons and styles) by someone else
Which one would you (all) prefer?
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Or....

In your stylesheet you can refer to the base classic theme images you need as a jar resource like this:
"jar:resource:/chrome/classic.jar!/skin/classic/browser/Secure.png"

If you use the same id's as the base console Firefox should apply the images automatically, not sure if you mean the images for the "original" all, msgs, etc. Good luck.
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

<a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/console2.xpi">Console² v0.1.8</a> is the latest nightly without the theme specific hacks (I've included some artwork of the default themes instead, which you'll probably notice most on OS X). Should anybody want to provide me with a set of nice icons - including for the toolbar buttons -, I'll be glad to include them, otherwise I'll see whether Kevin Gerich adapts the toolbar icons for Firefox 1.5 so that we've got a plain winstripe look (see bug 291002). Further on, I'm still looking for better alternatives for the mode menu-buttons...
shirishag75

Post by shirishag75 »

Hi all,
I don't know the basics about error consoles or Javascript console so if anybody has any good noOb documentation plz. forward it.
Another thing which perhaps would or would not be helpful would be good to have some kind of timing to know which page or from where the issues/errors are being generated. For e.g. is it something that the developer hasn't adhered too or is the browser at fault. Don't know much about it but would like to know more/help more.
91.4.0esr on GNU/Linux as well as Windows :)
Extensions info. viewtopic.php?t=413910 - needs to be updated
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

This is great! I have installed it in hunderbird as well.
Too bad this is too late for Firefox 1.5. I understand they may be doing an interim release between 1.5 and 2.0 to try to get feedview back in. If so, this should go in as well.
Anthracks

Post by Anthracks »

I think this extension is great :). I filed <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=310168">bug 310168</a> in Bugzilla asking them to consider incorporating your extension into Firefox. Like wgianopoulos said, it's probably too late for 1.5, but I hope they take a serious look at it in the future. The current JS console is pretty shoddy at this point, and you've taken care of almost all the really bad usability issues.

Edit: I hope it goes without saying, but please don't spam up the bug with "yeah, that would be awesome" or "no, that would suck" comments. The developers will decide what they decide, those posts don't help anyone. Thanks.
Last edited by Anthracks on September 27th, 2005, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
streppa

Post by streppa »

I would like to see the Error Console appear attached to my browser window either on the top or on the bottom, similar to the way the "Find" dialog comes up. I'm already alt-tabbing through a qazillion windows, one less for my javascript debugging would be nice =)

Scott Treppa
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@streppa: View -> Sidebar -> Error Console opens the console at the left side.

@Anthracks: Thanks for the honors.
onemen

Post by onemen »

onemen wrote:zeniko, i'd like to see separate buttons in the customize toolbar
for the diffrent types All, Erros, Warnings and Messages

zeniko. you include it in 0.1.7.? but i don't see this in 0.1.8 ??? :(
streppa

Post by streppa »

zeniko wrote:@streppa: View -> Sidebar -> Error Console opens the console at the left side.

Oh I'm aware of that. Just expounding on a personal preference for having a horizontal section for the console. Perhaps it's just me. =)

Scott Treppa
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

This updated nightly (<a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/console2-dev.xpi">v0.1.8+</a>) finally gets a real multiple-selection base so that copying several entries at once is finally done as you'd expect. To achieve this, I've replaced the richlistbox binding by an alternative version (see <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=298371">bug 298371</a> for the details). Since this is a nightly, I've decided to replace the richlistbox globally, for testing. A side effect of this extension is thus that you'll get page up/down and FAYT support in the Downloads and Extensions managers (see also <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=298993">bug 298993</a>). Please report any problems probably related to this, too.

@onemen: The All/Errors/etc. buttons are still included. You'd find at least a remark in the release notes at the start of this thread should I ever remove them (which I don't intend to).
onemen

Post by onemen »

can u add ability to clear by type. only messages or only error.....
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

onemen wrote:can u add ability to clear by type. only messages or only error.....

Now I could, but the cleared items would not last when the console is closed (i.e. they'd be back when you close and reopen the console). Would this be enough? Otherwise you'd have to wait for the implementation of bug 228205.