[Ext] Console² 0.1 to 0.3.6.2

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Peter(6)

Post by Peter(6) »

Zeniko, Console² 0.3.4 is causing
#335747[Firefox:Extension/Theme Manager]-crash when an extension is disabled and the next is selected (in addons manager new style) [@ xpcom_core.dll] [Win]
on the latest Trunk builds
nightly build threads 20040225 (FF 0.8.0+) - 20120331 (FF14a)
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

I'm not able to reproduce this on a clean profile with the testing version (0.3.4.4+). If you're affected by this and it bothers you, simply switch off Console²'s richlistbox by editing its chrome.manifest (as suggested in the bug).

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060427 Minefield/3.0a1 ID:2006042706
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

zeniko wrote:I'm not able to reproduce this on a clean profile with the testing version (0.3.4.4+). If you're affected by this and it bothers you, simply switch off Console²'s richlistbox by editing its chrome.manifest (as suggested in the bug).

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060427 Minefield/3.0a1 ID:2006042706

since you're probably not going to work on this extension for a while and the richlistbox override hoses current EM/TM listing for my keyboard shortcuts to move listed items in my Local Install extension, how about just removing those lines from the next official build.

Additionally folks would have to keep re-hacking on every upgrade which is truly annoying. And I just have a feeling it will cause more and more problems as things progress.

Thanks again for all of you great work!!!
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

mrtech wrote:since you're probably not going to work on this extension for a while and the richlistbox override hoses current EM/TM listing for my keyboard shortcuts to move listed items in my Local Install extension, how about just removing those lines from the next official build.

I won't disable the overrides before it has been decided that my patch to bug 298371 is definitively not the way to go. Until that point, consider Console² a glimpse into the future which tells you what might become broken (and as I already said: your keyboard shortcuts are badly chosen - and you probably won't need them for the new Add-ons manager anyway).

As for having to re-hack at every update: if I don't work on this anymore, there won't be any updates... ;) And as I already said: I'm not able to reproduce the crash mentioned in bug 335747 with what will become the next update.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Well I'm not really sure what's going on in the background with the core devs or you personally and I wish you the best, you extensions are great!!

But here in lies one of my biggest gripes with developers "Abandoning Ship". How many times has a great extension fallen to oblivion because of folks going on with life and leave extension development behind. If I had 10% of your coding experience I might considering helping with maintaining this extension, but I don't and someone who does really needs to step in and either work with the devs to sync up the richlistbox code or even more importantly just add Console2 as the default.

What's the reasoning they have given as to why they don't just use Console² code? As an extension junkie I'm already going through withdrawals and it's driving me crazy.
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

<a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/console2.xpi">Console² 0.3.5</a> is an update mainly for users from Eastern Europe and for nightly/beta testers for Firefox 2 and 3 (where older versions seem to trigger a crash in the new Add-ons manager). As I indicated, this release just fixes a few bugs and doesn't introduce any new functionality.

mrtech wrote:What's the reasoning they have given as to why they don't just use Console² code?

I don't really have a clue. I suppose they weren't that happy with the toolbar layout before version 0.3. See bug 310168 for the official reasoning.
shirishag75

Post by shirishag75 »

hmmm... just putting a heads up so that can find this forum later.... Have couple of issues & console2 might be involved but don't wanna say anything unless confirmed.
91.4.0esr on GNU/Linux as well as Windows :)
Extensions info. viewtopic.php?t=413910 - needs to be updated
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

zeniko: add-ons update is getting stuck while checking for console2 update...i get this in the console

Error: Component returned failure code: 0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE) [nsIXMLHttpRequest.statusText]
Source file: file:///C:/Program%20Files/firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
Line: 6116
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@shirishag75: You can find this thread always by going to Console²'s homepage. But you won't need to, since the problem is certainly due to another extension.

@supernova_00: WFM.
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

zeniko: i can reproduce everytime. also no add-on update ended message in the console so its definently getting stuck checking for console2.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/9530/bug3aw.png

Even if something with your server or update rdf file its a firefox bug for not having a timeout if check takes to long and also for still showing checking for another extension if update is stuck on the next check (I'll figure out how to better word that in the bug report)
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

Zeniko: robert strong marked my bug as #308522 which means nothign is being returned by the server.
shirishag75

Post by shirishag75 »

zeniko:- Console2 0.3.5 isn't compatible with Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060505 Minefield/3.0a1 . I could make it compatible with MTLI but not just by itself. the Addons gives me this :-

So I'm gonna disable it till a newer compatible one (which sits nicely with 1.5.x to 3.0nightlya works)
91.4.0esr on GNU/Linux as well as Windows :)
Extensions info. viewtopic.php?t=413910 - needs to be updated
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

There will never be a more compatible version than the most recent one. It worked flawlessly on Minefield last time I tried. You'll just have to install it from this thread (and not look for updates to it). Should it get disabled, please do as any other decent Trunk tester and use MTLI or NTT for keeping it running...
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

supernova_00 wrote:Zeniko: robert strong marked my bug as #308522 which means nothign is being returned by the server.

I don't know why you think that it means nothing is being returned by the server... it doesn't mean that at all.
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

Robert S. wrote:
supernova_00 wrote:Zeniko: robert strong marked my bug as #308522 which means nothign is being returned by the server.

I don't know why you think that it means nothing is being returned by the server... it doesn't mean that at all.

In the bug comment #1, you say "For this URL the request never returns"

So the request is not being answered and returned by the server. You said in the bug that you eventually did get a return but I let it go for over 2 hours yesterday and nothing.