[Ext] Console² 0.1 to 0.3.6.2

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
cyberrus

Post by cyberrus »

after last update i see no messages from debugging Greasmonkey scripts - i added * in site permissions...
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@Peng: If ScrapBook's warnings annoy you, simply select Block Domain for any of it - and you'll never have to bother again (an URL usually looks like this: protocol://DOMAIN/path/file - in the case of an extension it's thus chrome://SCRAPBOOK/content/scrapbook.js etc.).

@makondo: You've set the Console to be always-on-top - and it is... (it's pretty difficult to get this right, so currently only the console window itself can be always-on-top)

@cyberrus: GreaseMonkey debugging messages (logged through GM_log) are Content Messages (thus these two categories must be enabled). They can't be blocked through the domain blocker (since there is no domain to block). Try hitting the "All" button if nothing else helps. If it still doesn't work then, please post screenshots of the Console and the Domain Blocker.
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

zeniko,
i sure did (set to 'always on top')! Found it out shortly after posting. Sorry i didn't come back to inform. Thank you very much for your time and great extension!
Peng

Post by Peng »

zeniko wrote:@Peng: If ScrapBook's warnings annoy you, simply select Block Domain for any of it - and you'll never have to bother again (an URL usually looks like this: protocol://DOMAIN/path/file - in the case of an extension it's thus chrome://SCRAPBOOK/content/scrapbook.js etc.).

Ahh. I hadn't thought of that as a domain, but I guess it's similar. Well, I don't want to block all errors from the extension. I'll live.

I bet I could turn off strict warnings when I'm going to update the full text search cache, since I think that's what the messages are.

Hmm. Console² only keeps a certain number of messages. And it 'collapses' duplicates into only displaying once, with the number of times they're repeated shown. But each of those duplicates counts towards the total, so that one message repeating a few hundred times completely empties it of anything else. Why couldn't it only base the total number of messages to keep on unique messages, instead of all of them, including duplicates? I don't think it should be a resource issue, since it would only have to store each message once, and also store a number saying how many times it's repeated. Not that I would really know, though..
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook
cyberrus

Post by cyberrus »

zeniko wrote:@cyberrus: GreaseMonkey debugging messages (logged through GM_log) are Content Messages (thus these two categories must be enabled)...

yeap - i know, i use console for a while - problem almost solved: after another console reinstalation i see massages, but not everytime - i use console in a sidebar and the sidebar is split (this is described here)

- this way XUL element "browser" which contains console has diffrent id ("sidebar1" instead of "sidebar") - previous version had no problem with showing any massages in split sidebar but this version sometimes hangs-up after splitting sidebar...

zeniko wrote:@Peng: If ScrapBook's warnings annoy you, simply select Block Domain for any of it - and you'll never have to bother again (an URL usually looks like this: protocol://DOMAIN/path/file - in the case of an extension it's thus chrome://SCRAPBOOK/content/scrapbook.js etc.).

as you see from the above screenshot blocking chrome protocol doesn't work for me... - doesn't metter whether console is in sidebar (split or single) or stand alone

Peng

Post by Peng »

"chrome" is not the domain, it's the protocol. You can disable it in the main Console² window with the Chrome button.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
cyberrus

Post by cyberrus »

Peng wrote:"chrome" is not the domain, it's the protocol. You can disable it in the main Console² window with the Chrome button.

I know - but what zeniko wrote:

means that you can block protocol with domain blocker

old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@Peng: Reducing duplicates to a single item is currently not an option since then I'd no longer know where to re-insert the items when the option to hide the dupes is disabled. In <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/console2.xpi">today's update</a> I at least raised the number of visible items to a maximum of 1000 (from 250 which is the size of Gecko's internal stack). This might help somewhat...

@cyberrus: I named the Domain Blocker "Domain Blocker", because it only blocks domains:

In fact, you could hack Console² to block a whole protocol through manually editing hostperm.1 (insert there instead of a domain name scheme:protocol), but that's usually pretty pointless - and as Peng already pointed out, for the chrome protocol there even is a nice button...

As for the issues related to splitting the sidebar, I haven't had the time to look into these yet...
cyberrus

Post by cyberrus »

it looks like console hangs up when it's in sidebar - doesn't metter split or not - i'm testing it all the time
Peng

Post by Peng »

zeniko wrote:@Peng: Reducing duplicates to a single item is currently not an option since then I'd no longer know where to re-insert the items when the option to hide the dupes is disabled. In <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/console2.xpi">today's update</a> I at least raised the number of visible items to a maximum of 1000 (from 250 which is the size of Gecko's internal stack). This might help somewhat...

Oh, right. I forgot that there was a preference to hide duplicates or not. Nevermind, then.

I'll try the new build. Will 1000 be an issue, though, with memory usage or performance?

Edit: After loading http://www.bestbuy.com/, unchecking Hide Duplicates can take a few seconds. Wow. They really have some awful JavaScript. I have "reference to undefined property q64.id" in the console 2082 times from moving the mouse around above the website.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Splitting the sidebar indeed looks interesting... for reference here the code for a keyconfig key to toggle the sidebar splitting:

Code: Select all

var _ = function(aId) { return document.getElementById(aId); }; var sb = _("sidebar-box"); if (!_("sidebar2")) { sb.appendChild(_("sidebar-splitter") .cloneNode(false)).removeAttribute("id"); sb.appendChild(_("sidebar") .cloneNode(true)).id = "sidebar2"; } else { sb.removeChild(_("sidebar2") .previousSibling); sb.removeChild(_("sidebar2")); }

@cyberrus: I'm not able to get the console hanging in the sidebar. Does this also happen on a clean profile? Does it hang indefinitely or just temporarily? And only when it's filled with messages or also when empty? It may take a while to display on slower machines (although it then takes the same while when displayed in its own window)...

@Peng: 1000 shouldn't be that much of an issue. You won't see any penalty on startup (since Gecko still provides a maximum of only 250 messages) and once displayed, adding a few more messages usually doesn't take any notable time (except on sites as BestBuy where you can see the exceptions walk by in hundreds ;-)) nor memory.
Peng

Post by Peng »

Wow. http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_NewProduct_List.htm repeats an error like 20 or 30 times a second, apparently forever. It's currently in the Error Console 6000 times, and Firefox is running very slowly.

The website had also completely flooded the Error Console with other errors (and Firefox crashed right here -- yay Crash Recovery) before that one totally flooded it.

Currently up to 15,000 times in my other profile. Using 54.1% of the CPU and about 23 MB of RAM just from this (it's been doing nothing else). It's undoubtedly all gone up since I started writing this.

You should code something to stop a single error being repeated infinitely.

Edit: And, you just have to go to http://www.giga-byte.com/. Not that longer URL.

Edit: Blocking the domain does not help memory or CPU usage at all. Is that the JavaScript's doing, then, rather than Console²'s?

Edit: Whoops. Missing ).
Last edited by Peng on March 5th, 2006, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Have you observed Firefox' resource usage when the console is closed? For me it remains quite high - unless I deactivate the option to get strict warnings reported. There's not much I can do about this, since even if you ignore that one message (which is the temporary equivalent of blocking an very-often repeated error [note that there's no way to tell that it's in fact repeated infinitely ;-)]) the console is useless, because Gecko's buffer still gets flooded - and there's nothing I can do against that unless I compile my own Firefox version to be distributed with Console² (which I'd consider somewhat disproportionate ;-)). So all I can tell you is doctor's wisdom: if it hurts, don't go there...
Peng

Post by Peng »

I didn't block the message, I blocked the domain, which I thought did more.

If the limit is 1000 items, what does Console² do when one item is repeated 10,000 times? Does it store it more than 1000 times?

Edit: Well, you could tell if an error is repeatedly infinitely in a way, sometimes. See if the code causing it will keep repeating infinitely. But that's not really what I meant. I mean, I dunno. I'm not sure what I meant. But something like stopping it from being added to the console infinitely, since if it stores more than 1000 repeats for an item, it's storing the whole message more than 1000 times, isn't it?
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Peng wrote:I didn't block the message, I blocked the domain, which I thought did more.

It blocks more messages, but has the same effect if there's only one message going astray.
Peng wrote:If the limit is 1000 items, what does Console² do when one item is repeated 10,000 times? Does it store it more than 1000 times?

No, it never stores more than 1000 items. It does however remember the number of duplicates of a specific message as long as at least one such message is within the 1000 items. That's why you can get a dupe count of 10'000. If you uncheck the option to hide the duplicates and go counting, you will see that there remain only the last 1000 of the 10'000 messages...