[Ext] Console² 0.1 to 0.3.6.2

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

WFM with yesterday's 1.6a nightly. The colors used should be the very same you get for any other list with selectable items (i.e. your OS's defaults). Can you reproduce this behavior with a clean profile? Do other lists like language selection (Options -> Advanced -> General) work as expected? Have you modified your OS's color settings in any way?

As a work-around, you could also explicitly set the color and background-color to be used for .console-row[selected="true"] in your userChrome.css.
Peter(6)

Post by Peter(6) »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060115 Firefox/1.6a1 ID:2006011512
zeniko wrote:WFM with yesterday's 1.6a nightly. Have you tried a clean profile?

No
zeniko wrote:Do you get any errors/messages in the console?

Yes
zeniko wrote:Does enabling the settings change the correspondent values in about:config (and is changing the values in about:config mirrored in the console's Options menu)?

setting layout.css.report_errors true and opening the Console doesn't show "V report CSS errors"

zeniko wrote:As for disabling the CSS button: If you don't get CSS errors reported, why would you have any need for that button? I'm not yet decided about keeping that this way, but it seemed obvious...

I mostly look at Chrome - strict, and I have to set Strict every time I open the console
nightly build threads 20040225 (FF 0.8.0+) - 20120331 (FF14a)
onemen

Post by onemen »

i think that the background color problem is caused by other extension(s)... i see it with MR Tech's Local Install
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Peter(6) wrote:

No

I intended my list of questions as one to determine the error by subsequently narrowing the problem down. Trying a clean profile would be the first step - so please try it with one. If it works then (which it does for me), most probably another extension is to blame (resp. there is an incompatibility - since many extensions are not yet aware of the differences between the two consoles). In any way, it'd be interesting to know which extensions you have installed.

Peter(6) wrote:

Yes

I suppose I should have phrased my question: Do you get any errors/messages which seem relevant for this problem (such as having chrome://console2/content/console2.js as source file)?

onemen wrote:i think that the background color problem is caused by other extension(s)... i see it with MR Tech's Local Install

MR Tech's Local Install indeed sets background colors without caring for the foreground one (and it even sets them as !important). I suggest adding the following to your userChrome.css:

Code: Select all

.console-row[selected="true"] { background-color: Highlight !important; }
xeen

Post by xeen »

I'm not sure, maybe I'm stupid or something but the "where" drop down menu seems bugged to me.
Anywhere is selected. I left click Chrome, but Content gets selected. I click chrome again, Anywhere gets selected. I click content, chrome (N) gets selected (no idea why that shortcut thing is displayed now).
Middleclicking on in the drop down menu on Chrome or Content really selects chrome or content. However, middle clicking on Anywhere does nothing.
I hope you can fix this behaviour as it's quite annoying (or explain how it is meant to be used, maybe I'm too stupid).
And the error button lost its real icon somehow. Maybe this is skin dependent, but well.
One other idea: make the buttons stay at the same width. It's quite annoying to have the toolbar buttons to move around all the time just because you select a different option.
Greetings, xeen
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

xeen wrote:I'm not sure, maybe I'm stupid or something but the "where" drop down menu seems bugged to me.
Anywhere is selected. I left click Chrome, but Content gets selected. I click chrome again, Anywhere gets selected. I click content, chrome (N) gets selected (no idea why that shortcut thing is displayed now).
Middleclicking on in the drop down menu on Chrome or Content really selects chrome or content. However, middle clicking on Anywhere does nothing.
I hope you can fix this behaviour as it's quite annoying (or explain how it is meant to be used, maybe I'm too stupid)....

You're not stupid, xeen, or we both are. I'm seeing this too, at least the first part - clicking/selecting buttons. I first thought it was my theme too (Outlook 2003 green in this case). I don't have the other two probs though.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

The drop-down buttons are somewhat deprecated as of v0.3, since you've now got single checkbox buttons for all possible filters. To get these, just reset the toolbar (right-click -> Customize -> Restore Default Set).

If you intentionally want to continue using the drop-down buttons, remember that their elements now work as checkboxes - i.e. left-clicking one item checks/unchecks just that item. Now, since Anywhere = Chrome + Content, if you left-click/uncheck Chrome, you'll get Content and vice versa. Middle-clicking returns to the old radio-button behavior. Left-clicking on Anywhere finally is just a shortcut for checking both Chrome and Content (since the opposite of anywhere would be nowhere, which doesn't make much sense, it works a little bit differently in that respect). For completeness, I'll correct the behavior when middle-clicking on Anywhere.

The shortcut for Chrome gets displayed, since for that button it's now an N instead of an E (which is the shortcut for Errors). Looks somewhat ugly, but you'll be able to live with it (or go with the checkbox buttons which except for CSS have all saner shortcuts).

As for the changing width of the menu buttons, that's the main reason why I moved away from them by default. The main reason why they are around at all is that they can be quite handy when used in the sidebar (where BTW the accesskeys are all disabled and thus the (N) is never shown).

Finally for the Errors button: the icons are hard coded to Winstripe for big icons and Qute for small icons - thus depending on the chosen icon size, you'll get icons which match better or worse. Choose that in the Customize Toolbar dialog.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

zeniko wrote:
Peter(6) wrote:

No

I intended my list of questions as one to determine the error by subsequently narrowing the problem down. Trying a clean profile would be the first step - so please try it with one. If it works then (which it does for me), most probably another extension is to blame (resp. there is an incompatibility - since many extensions are not yet aware of the differences between the two consoles). In any way, it'd be interesting to know which extensions you have installed.

Peter(6) wrote:

Yes

I suppose I should have phrased my question: Do you get any errors/messages which seem relevant for this problem (such as having chrome://console2/content/console2.js as source file)?

onemen wrote:i think that the background color problem is caused by other extension(s)... i see it with MR Tech's Local Install

MR Tech's Local Install indeed sets background colors without caring for the foreground one (and it even sets them as !important). I suggest adding the following to your userChrome.css:

.console-row[selected="true"] { background-color: Highlight !important; }

sorry bout that, I'll add this hack to my next build
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
xeen

Post by xeen »

The new behaviour sucks. Why should I need checkboxes for that? The option style just works fine for both, chrome, content. There's no reason to have that unintuitive checkbox method in the drop down fields. I'm going to downgrade. Any idea where to get 0.2.5? Thanks.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

I'm sorry to hear that. The option style might work for Chrome and Content, but it doesn't work that well for Errors/Warnings/Messages and JS/CSS/XML (since you couldn't select two out of three). If you really want to downgrade, you can get the older version over at AMO.
xeen

Post by xeen »

Warum einfach wenn's auch kompliziert geht? Just reenable the option style for chrome/content and leave checkboxstyle for the rest. Or are there any restrictions that prevent you from doing so? I doubt that so it would make some more lines code, but should be realizeable. It wouldn't be more confusing but one can still use the advantages of "checkboxstyle" for the rest.
Greetings, xeen
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Another <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/console2-dev.xpi">testing version</a> (v0.3.1.2+) which brings two changes: The menu button behavior is back to radio style (which makes more sense as long as "All" is an option) and it includes a basic helper for web page logging.

If you include the following function into a web page's script, you can "log" messages and objects to the console:

function debug(aMsg) { setTimeout(function() { throw new Error("[debug] " + aMsg); }, 0); }

While this code works in all browsers, Console² displays these messages not as errors but as plain messages (including a source URL you can search for). This should be more comfortable than alert-debugging...
Peter(6)

Post by Peter(6) »

@ Zeniko

resetting the console did the trick, thanks
nightly build threads 20040225 (FF 0.8.0+) - 20120331 (FF14a)
xeen

Post by xeen »

Meh.
Radio button behaviour for Anywhere/Chrome/Content
Checkbox behaviour for Type and Language (+middle click for radio button bh.) (or make it a radio button bh. by default and add checkbox on middle click for the more advanced people. However, that is rather unimportant).

This would be great (imho best), however the latest test version is still more comfortable than 0.3.1.

Greetings, xeen
Peng

Post by Peng »

How could I stop the icons next to Errors, Warnings, Messages and All from being displayed? They take up too much space. I've been trying some stuff in userChrome.css but it isn't working.

Edit: Ack! My userChrome.css in my test profile just imports the file with the code I want to test. And again, I accidentally left the Console² line commented out. Well, that might explain it.

Edit: I got it:

/* Stop Console² from showing icons next to Errors, Warnings, Messages and All */
#Console2Window #ConsoleToolbox .toolbarbutton-icon {
   height:              0px !important;
   list-style-image:    none !important;
   margin-left:         0px !important;
   width:               0px !important;
   -moz-image-region:   auto !important;
}

Edit: I just noticed that leaves four too many pixels on the left side of the button. I need to fix that.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook