[Ext] Console² 0.1 to 0.3.6.2

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

FYI:
As I've already mentioned elsewhere, I'll discontinue all development and user support of this extension at the end of July.

I had originally hoped that major parts of Console² would find their way into Firefox 2, but the official request was pretty much denied and the reduced alternative seems to be getting nowhere. So there will probably be one more Console² release compatible with Firefox 2 (and further compatibility updates might follow, should I find bugs bothering myself - as long as I use this extension).

In case you are considering a take-over: should time allow it, I'd offer to answer your questions while getting started; and comrade693 has already offered assistance as well. Whoever eventually continues to maintain or even further develop this extension, please mention it here so that I can adjust the links...
ramasaig

Post by ramasaig »

I only 'discovered' Console2 a few days ago. At first I was running it in a tab, but then (somehow ?) it became available as 'Error Console' instead of 'Javascript Console' in the Tools menu. It was working fine for me, and I could turn it on and off (ON when developing my own site, OFF when browsing elsewhere) but it has now changed so that it will pop up whenever there's an error on a site, even if I haven't turned it on in the Tools menu. The only way I've found to stop this is to turn off 'Report Strict Warnings', which isn't helpful when working on my own site.

In about:config I currently find:

javascript.options.showInConsole .... true
javascript.options.strict .... false

Can anyone tell me how to get back to having the Console ON or OFF under user control from the Tools menu, with javascript.options.strict as TRUE, please.

I'm running Firefox 1.5.0.4 in Win XP Home SP2

Tim Dawson
Ramasaig
Maolbhuidhe, Isle of Mull
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Not sure what you mean by turning it ON and OFF. Either it's opened or it's not. If it's opened but in the background and pops to the foreground whenever an error occurs, that's due to the option "Focus On Report" being enabled (see the Options drop-down).

As for the Error Console entry in the Tools menu: that's by design since the console displays more than just JavaScript issues (you'll note that the console's title also states "Error Console").
ramasaig

Post by ramasaig »

Thanks for your reply.

ON is Opened, OFF is not opened (i.e. closed). When I was using the old Javascript console I had to open it specifically from the Tools menu. Currently Console2 seems to be opening itself spontaneously when (a) it is set to STRICT, AND (b) it encounters an error. I do NOT have 'Focus on Report' set.

I'm delighted with the facilities provided by Console2, but I would like it not to open itself when I don't want it. I can achieve this by setting STRICT when I want it to open on error, and un-setting STRICT when I don't, but that doesn't seem the ideal way.

I understand why there's a new name in the Tools menu, and the extra error detection is very handy. BTW where can I find out how to use the 'Evaluate' box ?
Ramasaig
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Alright: you're actually observing an issue related with a different extension, since Console² simply can't open itself (e.g. the Web Developer extension which provides an option to achieve precisely the behavior you describe).

And to use the Evaluate box, simply enter some JavaScript code (e.g. <code>2+2</code>) and hit Evaluate (or [Enter]). All it does is execute the code you entered and display the result below.
ramasaig

Post by ramasaig »

Thank you. I am running Web Developer, of course. Now it seems I need to find out how to turn off this option that you mention. Ah ha, I've found it and turned it off !! Thanks again.

I'll try the Evaluate box. Does it work in the contect of the running scripts, or does the code I enter have to be self-contained ?
Ramasaig
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

ramasaig wrote:Does it work in the contect of the running scripts, or does the code I enter have to be self-contained ?

As with the Evaluate box of the original JavaScript Console, the code has to be self-contained. If you need a debugger, have a look at Venkman or Firebug.
ramasaig

Post by ramasaig »

Thank you for your help.

I have tried Venkman but I find it too complex (I don't remember how to use it from one occasion to the next a few weeks/months later. Must be my age). Recently I've been looking at Firebug, but in truth I found the Javascript Console gave sufficient help, and Console2 is even better.
Ramasaig
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Perhaps what you are looking for is https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1729/
Execute JS 0.1, by Rudolf Noe, released on Dec 30, 2005

Execute JS is a enhanced JavaScript-Console, where you can comfortably enter and execute arbitrary JavaScript-Code and modify functions.
What can you do with Execute JS?
# Execute arbitrary (multiline) JavaScript Code in every window you like.
# Evaluting the properties of an object.
# Modifying functions on the fly i.e. you can search for functions, load and edit them and eventually save the modified function.

In addition Execute JS provides a history of the executed code snipets. By pressing Ctrl+Up/Down you can navigate in this history. Also some shortcut notations for frequent used expressions (e.g. getbyid for document.getElementById) were provided.

Phil
ramasaig

Post by ramasaig »

Thank you, Phil, looks worth a try.
Ramasaig
JsDude

JS Console Extra Kills Console2

Post by JsDude »

FYI - If Console2 does not work for you, make sure you remove JS Console Extras!

JsD
ramasaig

Post by ramasaig »

Console2 seems to work pretty well for me.

At the moment it's Firebug that's my problem -- at one point in my form submission it pops open but with no content (the panes are blank), and the browser hangs (Console2 doesn't report anything either). If I disable Firebug everything seems to work fine and the forms get submitted without apparent errors.

I'm working on it.
Ramasaig
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Hi zeniko.

I've got a small patch that will allow console2 to appear in SeaMonkey's mailnews component. Also a patch to chrome.manifest to allow console2 to install and function in SuiteRunner. I had to break the data URI into three lines to prevent the forum from getting too wide, so please rejoin these lines before applying the patch.

Code: Select all

--- chrome.old.manifest   Thu Apr 20 21:29:06 2006
+++ chrome.manifest   Tue Aug 29 17:17:24 2006
@@ -11,15 +11,19 @@
 locale   console2   pl-PL   jar:chrome/console2.jar!/locale/pl-PL/console2/
 locale   console2   sk-SK   jar:chrome/console2.jar!/locale/sk-SK/console2/
 locale   console2   cs-CZ   jar:chrome/console2.jar!/locale/cs-CZ/console2/

skin   console2   classic/1.0   jar:chrome/console2.jar!/skin/classic/console2/

overlay   chrome://browser/content/browser.xul   chrome://console2/content/overlay.xul
-overlay   chrome://messenger/content/mailWindowOverlay.xul   chrome://console2/content/overlay.xul
+overlay   chrome://messenger/content/mailWindowOverlay.xul   chrome://console2/content/overlay.xul   application={3550f703-e582-4d05-9a08-453d09bdfdc6}
+
+overlay   chrome://navigator/content/navigator.xul   chrome://console2/content/seamonkey-overlay.xul   application={92650c4d-4b8e-4d2a-b7eb-24ecf4f6b63a}
+overlay   chrome://messenger/content/mailWindowOverlay.xul   chrome://console2/content/seamonkey-overlay.xul   application={92650c4d-4b8e-4d2a-b7eb-24ecf4f6b63a}
+

override   chrome://global/content/console.xul   chrome://console2/content/console2.xul
 style   chrome://global/content/customizeToolbar.xul   chrome://console2/skin/console-toolbar.css
 style   chrome://global/content/customizeToolbar.xul   chrome://console2/skin/toolbar.css

# remove these two lines, if don't want to take advantage of Console┬▓'s richlistbox
 override   chrome://global/content/bindings/richlistbox.xml   chrome://console2/content/richlistbox.xml

--- contents.old.rdf   Sun Jan 22 20:07:20 2006
+++ contents.rdf   Tue Aug 29 17:10:54 2006
@@ -6,17 +6,22 @@
    </Seq>

<Description about="urn:mozilla:package:console2" chrome:name="console2"/>

<Seq about="urn:mozilla:overlays">
       <li resource="chrome://console2/content/console2.xul"/>
       <li resource="chrome://navigator/content/navigator.xul"/>
+      <li resource="chrome://messenger/content/mailWindowOverlay.xul"/>
    </Seq>

<Seq about="chrome://console2/content/console2.xul">
       <li>chrome://console2/content/seamonkey-hack.xul</li>
    </Seq>

<Seq about="chrome://navigator/content/navigator.xul">
+      <li>chrome://console2/content/seamonkey-overlay.xul</li>
+   </Seq>
+
+   <Seq about="chrome://messenger/content/mailWindowOverlay.xul">
       <li>chrome://console2/content/seamonkey-overlay.xul</li>
    </Seq>
 </RDF>

--- seamonkey-overlay.old.xul   Sun Jul 09 17:15:58 2006
+++ seamonkey-overlay.xul   Tue Aug 29 15:52:44 2006
@@ -1,23 +1,32 @@
 <?xml version="1.0"?>
+<?xml-stylesheet href="chrome://console2/skin/toolbar.css" type="text/css"?>
 <?xml-stylesheet href="data:text/css,
@namespace%20url('http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul');
#toolsPopup%3Emenuitem[oncommand='toJavaScriptConsole();']{display:none;}" type="text/css"?>

<!DOCTYPE overlay SYSTEM "chrome://console2/locale/console2.dtd">

-<overlay xmlns="http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul">
+<overlay id="console2Overlay" xmlns="http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul">
    <script type="application/x-javascript"><![CDATA[
       function toErrorConsole()
       {
          toOpenWindowByType("global:console", "chrome://console2/content/console2.xul");
       }
    ]]></script>

<broadcasterset id="mainBroadcasterSet">
       <broadcaster id="viewConsole2Sidebar" autoCheck="false" label="&console.title;" type="checkbox" group="sidebar" sidebarurl="chrome://console2/content/console2.xul" oncommand="toggleSidebar('viewConsole2Sidebar');"/>
    </broadcasterset>
+   
+   <toolbarpalette id="BrowserToolbarPalette"> <!-- Firefox (toolbar) -->
+      <toolbarbutton id="console2-button" class="toolbarbutton-1 chromeclass-toolbar-additional" label="&console.title;" tooltiptext="&console.tooltiptext;" oncommand="if (event.shiftKey) toggleSidebar('viewConsole2Sidebar'); else toErrorConsole();" onclick="if (event.button == 1) toggleSidebar('viewConsole2Sidebar');"/>
+   </toolbarpalette>
+   
+   <toolbarpalette id="MailToolbarPalette"> <!-- Thunderbird (toolbar) -->
+      <toolbarbutton id="console2-button" class="toolbarbutton-1 chromeclass-toolbar-additional" label="&console.title;" tooltiptext="&console.tooltiptext;" oncommand="toErrorConsole();"/>
+   </toolbarpalette>

<menupopup id="toolsPopup">
       <menuitem id="errorConsole" label="&console.title;" oncommand="toErrorConsole();" insertbefore="java"/>
    </menupopup>

<menupopup id="viewSidebarMenu">
       <menuitem accesskey="&console.accesskey;" observes="viewConsole2Sidebar"/>
Phil
Alvaro A. Lima Jr

Error after the Update Console 2 v0.3.6 in FireFox 1.5.0.7

Post by Alvaro A. Lima Jr »

Telling,
after to bring up to date for the new version of the CONSOLE2
show a error criticize in the FireFox.
Error after the Update Console 2 v0.3.6 in FireFox 1.5.0.7
Debtor.
Alvaro Jr/BRAZIL
old zeniko

Re: Error after the Update Console 2 v0.3.6 in FireFox 1.5.0

Post by old zeniko »

Alvaro A. Lima Jr wrote:Error after the Update Console 2 v0.3.6 in FireFox 1.5.0.7

I'm not able to reproduce this issue. Please try uninstalling and reinstalling the extension. If that doesn't help, you might have reached the point to consider creating a new profile...