[Ext] Console² 0.1 to 0.3.6.2

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
shirishag75

Post by shirishag75 »

[OT] How does the voting system work in bugzilla. The help file for voting in bugzilla is pretty cryptic & possibly out-dated. As it tells of

To look at votes:

* Go to the query page. Do a normal query, but enter 1 in the "At least ___ votes" field. This will show you items that match your query that have at least one vote.
Now this atleast to my experience is possible only in the advanced Search & not in the normal search.
Then the other thing of Voting for a bug
# Click on the "Vote for this bug" link that appears just above the "Additional Comments" field. (If no such link appears, then voting may not be allowed in this bug's product.)
# Indicate how many votes you want to give this bug. This page also displays how many votes you've given to other bugs, so you may rebalance your votes as necessary.

I did click on vote for this bug & it took me to a page where I could change the vote but didn't tell anything about what difference does it make. Also am I able to double vote or what? Leaves me thoroughly confused. I tried voting for inclusion of your bug in the main trunk. Don't know whether I was able to do it or not. Is there some way to find out ?
91.4.0esr on GNU/Linux as well as Windows :)
Extensions info. viewtopic.php?t=413910 - needs to be updated
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com
Peng

Post by Peng »

The only difference that voting makes is that the "Votes: #" line shows a number one higher. The developers will know that the bug is important to one more person, though that doesn't necessarily mean it will be fixed any faster.

To find out if you have voted, in the bug, click the "Show votes for this bug" link. If your email address is listed, you've voted. Or, you can click the "Vote for this bug" link. If the checkbox is already checked for the bug, you've voted for it. :)
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook
jqp

Post by jqp »

I haven't read all 10 pages of this, but I figured I'd drop in my 2 cents.
I would prefer that the defaults be to show "Type: All" "JS" and "Content"
(speaking in terms of this console becoming the Firefox error console) If a person is having a problem, one of the first questions we ask a user is "what does the error console say"? That user may have never seen the error console before. It would be nice if they see only JavaScript errors related to content. CSS errors are usually very minor and chrome errors would not be helpful in helping those users. Not a big deal, just a thought.
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

and chrome errors would not be helpful in helping those users.

Not when you're trying to debug chrome code (e.g. extensions or Firefox code - for bug triage) remotedly. CSS errors could indeed be hidden by default if this is to be the default console - they appear to confuse users (I've seen a few reports of 'errors in firefox', where users saw a CSS error reported for a site.)
jqp

Post by jqp »

they're so poorly labeled that they've confused a few veterans too at first.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

While CSS errors are easier to distinguish in Console², they might still rather confuse the users. Therefore, as of the most recent nightly (v0.2.5.1.+), they won't be shown by default on a clean profile.

As for Chrome errors: while they are relevant for remotely debugging extensions, they've so far never been shown by default, either. Until now, you had to ask your users to set the (badly named) hidden pref javascript.options.showInConsole (this pref is simply ignored by Console²). Asking them to display Chrome errors shouldn't be too much to ask in this case - especially since they can at the same time hide Content errors; and that they'll have to correctly set the Type and Lang selectors anyways. In order to not confuse innocent users (who might know what http://www.google.com/ is but not what chrome://global/content/bindings/browser.xml might mean), I've thus decided to default to Content messages only - as suggested py jqp.
shirishag75

Post by shirishag75 »

cool. Btw is there any way so that the console gets emptied each time a session is closed. I don't know whether this is the default behavior or not but just wanna make sure.
91.4.0esr on GNU/Linux as well as Windows :)
Extensions info. viewtopic.php?t=413910 - needs to be updated
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Not sure what you understand by "session". In any way, whenever Firefox/Thunderbird are exited the console's content is erased - since it is always stored in memory only. On the other hand, clearing the console is actually just a hack which won't erase anything (see bug 313183).
bamm

Can the console show HTML errors?

Post by bamm »

I've tried the Console and found it was very useful. I was just wondering if it can also be configured to show html errors instead of just xml. The tidy extension is overkill if we just want to display html errors, so I think it would be better if they were shown in a console together with other web page errors instead of having to install tidy for this purpose.
jqp

Post by jqp »

it just catches errors that are normally caught by the error console, and no HTML errors are currently thrown by the browser to the error console. This extension just organizes those errors that the javascript console normally catches.

If you use XHTML instead of HTML and use a proper MIME type, then it will catch well-formedness errors just like any other XML (that's what I do). It still won't catch, however, elements going where they're not supposed to: <code><p><div></div></p></code> or something like that.
bamm

Post by bamm »

jqp wrote:it just catches errors that are normally caught by the error console, and no HTML errors are currently thrown by the browser to the error console.This extension just organizes those errors that the javascript console normally catches.

If you use XHTML instead of HTML and use a proper MIME type, then it will catch well-formedness errors just like any other XML (that's what I do). It still won't catch, however, elements going where they're not supposed to: <code><p><div></div></p></code> or something like that.

Apparently this only works if I use XHTML as the file extension. If I create an XHTML file but give it an HTML extension it doesn't seem to catch any errors.

You mentioned that it is the browser that decides which errors to throw to the console. Could it be possible to configure FF so that it would show page errors regardless of file extension used?
jqp

Post by jqp »

Apparently this only works if I use XHTML as the file extension. If I create an XHTML file but give it an HTML extension it doesn't seem to catch any errors.

It's up to the webserver to send an XHTML page with an XML mime type. If the page is sent as text/html, then the browser is going to treat it as regular HTML and not XHTML (XML) where it checks for well-formedness.

In your case, you're not dealing with a server, you're dealing with your local computer. In that case, the operating system sets the MIME type. In Windows by default, files with .xhtml extensions are treated with the right MIME type. .xml extensions are as well.

So, no, you can't configure firefox to treat the MIME types differently, but you can configure the operating system to use whatever MIME type you want. In your case, the best thing to do would probably be to save the file with a .xhtml or .xml file extension.

I didn't mean to take this thread off-topic, but to take the best advantages of Console extension for HTML files, then using XHTML is the best way to go at the moment.
Litegod

Post by Litegod »

Is it possible to use the Firefox 1.5 icons for the Console2 extension? They look a lot better to me and are also used in the buttons panel...
reagun ban

Post by reagun ban »

Thanks, this plugin is wonderful.
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

I just stumbled across bug 318245, and it made me realize that it's not obvious to beginner what are you supposed to type in the text field next to "Evaluate" button. There should be a label or a tooltip or another hint that the field is for JS, not for anything else.

By the way, you could also fix the bug 318245 itself ;)