[Ext] Favicon_Picker 0.3.0 is available for Firefox 1.5 Beta

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
menet

Re: Missing function in FaviconPicker

Post by menet »

Greg S wrote:
menet wrote:What miss to me, in Favicon picker is a way to copy the favicon of a bookmark (shown in its properties) to save it :?

Then i will be able to use the icon in another bookmark. =D>

Best regards :wink:

Well assuming the favicon for the bookmark is associated with a website, just go to the site then somewhere in the page right click select View Page Info, select the media tab and find the favicon, left click to select it then use the Save As... button and well save it.

Thanks for this way to save a favicon of a site but it doesn't work if the site uses only a <strong>favicon.ico</strong> file just under the root of the web site. 8-)

Like i manage the icons in the bookmarks with <strong>Favicon Picker</strong>, it will be well if it include also this possibility to copy/save the favicon image. :twisted:

Regards :wink:
Old Greg S

Re: Missing function in FaviconPicker

Post by Old Greg S »

menet wrote:
Greg S wrote:
menet wrote:What miss to me, in Favicon picker is a way to copy the favicon of a bookmark (shown in its properties) to save it :?

Then i will be able to use the icon in another bookmark. =D>

Best regards :wink:

Well assuming the favicon for the bookmark is associated with a website, just go to the site then somewhere in the page right click select View Page Info, select the media tab and find the favicon, left click to select it then use the Save As... button and well save it.

Thanks for this way to save a favicon of a site but it doesn't work if the site uses only a <strong>favicon.ico</strong> file just under the root of the web site. 8-)

Like i manage the icons in the bookmarks with <strong>Favicon Picker</strong>, it will be well if it include also this possibility to copy/save the favicon image. :twisted:

Favicon picker or Firefox doesn't care if the favicon is .png or icon. Make a folder on your desktop or where ever and when you save as to that folder, change the name from the website default of favicon.ico to whateveryouwant.ico. Then in the Faviconpicker browse to that folder and select it.
menet

Post by menet »

2 <strong>Greg S</strong>, you don't understand me.
I know very well how to find the favicon of a site but i will appreciate if <strong>Favicon Picker</strong> , which has found the icon of a site, have a function to save this icon in a local file on our PC.
This function will be a new button (savebutton=Save) on the properties of a bookmarks with the 2 others buttons (browsebutton=Browse... and erasebutton=Erase) 8-)

Then all the function to add/modify/copy an icon in a bookmarks will be in <strong>Favicon Picker</strong> :P

Old Greg S

Post by Old Greg S »

menet wrote:Then all the function to add/modify/copy an icon in a bookmarks will be in <strong>Favicon Picker</strong> :P

OK, I understand now. You want it to do all the work for you. Maybe they will implement that in the next version
c0c0c0

choosing favicons for tabs.

Post by c0c0c0 »

Is there any way this can be extended into choosing favicons for tabs? I use FF for a lot of intranet sites at work and the developers did not include any favicons, I want to be able to quickly identify the tab using favicons.
Arátoeldar

Post by Arátoeldar »

What is the maximum size for an icon? I have one that is 30K. When I try to have the extension use it. I get an Alert say that it is too big.
JNewbry

Post by JNewbry »

pref("faviconpicker.sizelimit", 16384);

Look for the above in about:config..... change size there.
Personally, If it was me, I'd lower the icon's file size.
<a href="http://webdesigns.ms11.net/chromeditp.html" target="_blank">ChromEdit Plus</a> | <a href="http://webdesigns.ms11.net/winstripethemes.html" target="_blank">Firefox Themes</a>
Duke D

Post by Duke D »

Any1 get this to work with minefield ?
mcdh

Post by mcdh »

is there a place to downlard all kinds of Favicons? i'm just a little lazy to save all those by hand. thanks.
weezarc

Post by weezarc »

JNewbry can you or anybody else please explain how to lower the icon file size because I don't understand where the pref or about:config is. With IE I used FavOrg to search out icons and many of them are too large for the FF for some reason. I was also wondering if there is a similar program that will search out icons of my bookmarks for FF, like FavOrg does for IE.
Swami

Post by Swami »

weezarc wrote:I was also wondering if there is a similar program that will search out icons of my bookmarks for FF, like FavOrg does for IE.

http://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm
_maf_

Post by _maf_ »

Cool, this works perfectly. Thanks for the updated version :)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Re: Favicon_Picker 0.3.0 is available for Firefox 1.5 Beta

Post by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx »

Looks like 0.3.0 would be great. Thanks, dbMorris, for developing it.

But I've got no clue how to install/where to place the downloaded Favicon_Picker_0.3.0.xpi file.

Sorry, I'm a newish Firefox user. All my extensions until now were obtained through the Firefox Extension dialog (with its Install button); I don't see a way to use that for this.

Also I searched my entire PC for other *.xpi files as examples, but (as no doubt everyone more experienced than I am knows) I found none anywhere.

Help please ???

dbMorris wrote:All -

Download: <a href="http://rpgmaker35.voidofmind.com/misc/Favicon_Picker_0.3.0.xpi" target="_blank" class="postlink">(Favicon_Picker 0.3.0)</a>

If you have enjoyed using Torisugari's favicon picker in Firefox 1.0 through 1.0.6 like I have,
and find that it has not worked as well since migrating to DeerPark or Firefox Beta1
<a href="https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&category=Bookmarks&numpg=50&id=325&page=comments&pageid=1" target="_blank" class="postlink">(prior version 0.2.6 is found here) </a>, then this version 0.3.0 may help resolve your issues.

Extension version 0.3.0 will only work with Firefox 1.5 BETA or later.

Please continue to use the author's original extension for the Firefox 1.0.x releases
<a href="http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=617&hl=favicon" target="_blank" class="postlink">(prior version 0.2.5 is found here) </a>.

Usage:
To modify a bookmark entry or favorites toolbar entry, right-mouse-click on entry and
select Properties. You will see an icon image, ERASE, and BROWSE buttons
added. Selecting ERASE will set the entry back to the default icon and BROWSE will let
you navigate to assign an icon file for the entry. When done, clicking OK will accept the changes
into your saved bookmarks and CANCEL will abort your session back to Firefox.

Background Info:
With faviconpicker 0.2.6 I have been unsuccessful in clicking on bookmark menu entries or favorite
bookmarks to modify the default icon (either to erase or modify). I pointed this out to the author back
in June and again recently when I began to examine/modify his faviconpicker.js code. I have been
attempting to reach Torisugari by email, spreadfirefox, and mozillaZine for quite some time now with
no responses from him, so I took the liberty of generating this newer version and invite the author
to acknowledge or contribute when he so choses.

This extension is a collaboration between myself and Firefox contributor mook. Mook's
understanding of the Firefox code base has been invaluable as the two of us diagnosed the code and
came up with this update.

In order to maintain the author's original code design, this extension update contains some generic
un-elegant workarounds that we put in. I have been using it now for some time with a variety of
extensions (see my tag line for my extensions) with no issues. Besides repairing the icon
right-mouse properties usage, we put in some memory checks, cleaned up the source so it looks better
for printing/maintaining, made an EM icon, and bumped the version from 0.2.6 to 0.3.0

Going forward, mook nor I have the time to be able to take ownership for longterm extension support -
so we'll be hoping it can become a true community effort should further enhancements be needed. This
assumes of course the original author continues to be unavailable or that the author returns to take on
support for his extension as he sees fit.

I'm not sure how to promote the extension into the various extension mirrors -
if someone could help get the word out to post this extension, that would be great.
Schrade

Re: Favicon_Picker 0.3.0 is available for Firefox 1.5 Beta

Post by Schrade »

pixelwizard wrote:Looks like 0.3.0 would be great. Thanks, dbMorris, for developing it.

But I've got no clue how to install/where to place the downloaded Favicon_Picker_0.3.0.xpi file.

Sorry, I'm a newish Firefox user. All my extensions until now were obtained through the Firefox Extension dialog (with its Install button); I don't see a way to use that for this.

Also I searched my entire PC for other *.xpi files as examples, but (as no doubt everyone more experienced than I am knows) I found none anywhere.

Help please ???

You can install it from my website here just by clicking on it: http://www.schrade.com/firefox/extensio ... _en-US.xpi

Or you can take the one you downloaded and just drag and drop it into the Firefox window. It'll do the install process.
"Linux is for those who hate Windows, BSD is for those who love Unix." -Some Guy
Try my themes: QuBranch and QuTrunk
Fix Firefox's Resized image scrolling speed: <b>Bug 163975</b>
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx »

Excellent. Thank you, Schrade. I've got it now & will try it out.