[Ext] Favicon_Picker 0.3.0 is available for Firefox 1.5 Beta

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
RandomWhim

Post by RandomWhim »

That's much for this extension! This missing feature from is what was keeping my mother-in-law and her friends from switching to Firefox. Thanks for making it happen.
Lost User 205743

Post by Lost User 205743 »

I got Favicon Picker 0.3.0 to sucessfully instal in FireFox 1.5x. All went well for the first few icons I changed. Then I got an "Alert File Size To Big" while trying to change a default icon with one of my custom icons.
Seems that the largest icon file size that can be used is 16KB. My problem is many of my custom icons are much larger then that. Is there a solution short of me redoing my custom icons?
daTerminehtor

Post by daTerminehtor »

That pretty much is the standard size for icons of that type.
Swami

Post by Swami »

I notice in about:config a pref faviconpicker.sizelimit with a value of 16384
Does anyone know what that value means and could increasing that value allow larger icons?
Lost User 205743

Post by Lost User 205743 »

daTerminehtor wrote "That pretty much is the standard size for icons of that type".

That may be true BUT some people use the *same icon image* for the small icon on their Navigation bar, for the mid size icon on their desktop and the very large icon (mine are 196x196) for their XP folders when in Thumbnail View.
I want to use the *same icon image* for everything so I start out with a big master -- say 128 KB and then have the program bring it down for each application -- that works much better then trying to stretch a small icon up, up, up.
daTerminehtor

Post by daTerminehtor »

that works much better then trying to stretch a small icon up, up, up.

Indeed..
Sekerob

Post by Sekerob »

Somewhere @ the beginning of this 5 page thread I saw a request for modifying the Favourite (oops IE speak) Bookmark Folder Icons I.e. if having a Folder for FFx related bookmarks make it show with a firefox icon or the like. I've been looking for that as I want to add many folders to my bookmark bar, but that is eating space rapidly, since the decriptions needs to tell about the content. The bookmark icon alteration is already great, but since many websites carry their fav in the url not too exiting. The Folder icon customisation WOULD BE A TRUE BOON.

If there is nothing in the FFx code to facilitate this, then could this be promoted with the FFX development team?
The Dutch-Italian

RaiseMachine

Post by RaiseMachine »

Sorry Sekerob, this is not going to happen.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 73#1948773

The rest of that thread has a technique (by yours truly ;)) on how to achieve this.
"Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit... unnatural ?" - Bill Hicks
"Money is the Schrodinger's Cat of economics." - Robert Anton Wilson
"It's not a bug, it's two features having a fight in the pub car-park." - Me
Sekerob

Post by Sekerob »

Thanks RaiseMachine.... I read thru the bug report 173988 and note the WONFIX comment to be from Nov.2002. Scuze me, but to go by Bob Dylan's words...."The times they are a changin' ". Just when I hit the return button on yesterdays post I also realised I'd wanted same facility for feeds.... Now I have feeds on the bookmark bar with abbreviations....with personalised icons it would be much greater. Time to visit ASA's Outta' space blog and prod him a bit on this as he seemed to be an advocate ;>)
The Dutch-Italian

Arátoeldar

Post by Arátoeldar »

kamjingl wrote:Thank you dbmorris & Mook for the updated to this great extension.Your hard work is very much appreciated :-)

I couldn't say it any better.
JPQZ

Post by JPQZ »

I was informed to ask my question here in this thread:

I wrote:
I have downloaded the Favicon 0.30 extension. I am trying to put a text name besides the Bookmark Icons of some of the icons. Is this possible with this extension?

Here is a current view of my browser.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/6058/t ... iew2ly.jpg

I tried right clicking on the first Yahoo icon symbol on the bookmarks toolbar then selecting properties and putting the Yahoo in the name box in an effort to find out if that is the way to put the text "Yahoo" next to the little Yahoo symbol.

But, that is not working. Does this extension allow that and how do you go about it?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5
Old Greg S

Post by Old Greg S »

JPQZ wrote:I was informed to ask my question here in this thread:

I wrote:
I have downloaded the Favicon 0.30 extension. I am trying to put a text name besides the Bookmark Icons of some of the icons. Is this possible with this extension?

Here is a current view of my browser.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/6058/t ... iew2ly.jpg

I tried right clicking on the first Yahoo icon symbol on the bookmarks toolbar then selecting properties and putting the Yahoo in the name box in an effort to find out if that is the way to put the text "Yahoo" next to the little Yahoo symbol.

But, that is not working. Does this extension allow that and how do you go about it?

The label is there but your theme may be using an option to hide the labels
JPQZ

Post by JPQZ »

Greg S wrote:

The label is there but your theme may be using an option to hide the labels

Thanks for the information. I checked my Chrome files and I had it blocked there.

No more problems.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5
menet

Missing function in FaviconPicker

Post by menet »

What miss to me, in Favicon picker is a way to copy the favicon of a bookmark (shown in its properties) to save it :?

Then i will be able to use the icon in another bookmark. =D>

Best regards :wink:
Old Greg S

Re: Missing function in FaviconPicker

Post by Old Greg S »

menet wrote:What miss to me, in Favicon picker is a way to copy the favicon of a bookmark (shown in its properties) to save it :?

Then i will be able to use the icon in another bookmark. =D>

Best regards :wink:

Well assuming the favicon for the bookmark is associated with a website, just go to the site then somewhere in the page right click select View Page Info, select the media tab and find the favicon, left click to select it then use the Save As... button and well save it.