[Ext] Gmail Manager 0.6.4.1 - Manage multiple Gmail accounts

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
brand404

Re: [Ext] Gmail Manager 0.6.1 - Manage multiple Gmail accoun

Post by brand404 »

onenerve wrote:@brand404, I know you knew this and you have been a big help. I was re-stating why mine did not work because there are still some that, although they have read and re-read the instructions, don't check all their accounts for Buzz.

Excellent point!
brand404

Post by brand404 »

lewayotte wrote:Thanks to Mook and everyone who worked on this... if I wasn't in the middle of a Snowpocalypes I would offered my assistance.

I do have have a couple questions, I could not find the answers for in that last 10 pages of this forum.

1) Do we know what the initial cause of Gmail Manager failing? What was it? Was it related to Google Buzz?
2) Do we know why Buzz is interfering with Mook's version?

For all interested, these are the steps I perform before installing Mook's version

1) I clicked "turn off buzz" and then "Disable Google Buzz" on two of my Gmail accounts.
2) I went to Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Remove Individual Cookies, searched for "google", highlighted them all and removed them. (I know someone said it wasn't necessary, but what the heck, it doesn't hurt anything)
3) I unchecked "Auto-login" for all my accounts in Gmail Manager
4) I removed any unecessary accounts (I had 15, paired down to 9)
4) I installed Mook's version
5) I restarted FireFox

2) From my tests you definitely dont need to remove cookies prior to installing but i do recall one case where i actually had to physically remove tmlong's version from FireFox's plugin directory before normal functionality returned (it was doing some messed up stuff in the browser).
3) Not necessary. I have 6 accounts that auto-login and they work fine.
4) I've tested it up to 34 accounts and it worked fine (i didnt find any limit) -- had to do this about 2 months back to help some other guy here

lewayotte wrote:Everything seems to be working like normal now. Mook's version isn't crashing my browser and I can actually see my emails again! YAY!

Yea the world is in balance again =D> :) ... would be a nightmare for all of us when this thing breaks again (0 respectable alternatives, however we do still have 2 other active forks here besides mook's) -- and it will break again simply because Google will change their coding.

lewayotte wrote:Now the only problem is that I did all this on my work computer, where I have 1 gmail account with Google Buzz enabled, but only use it in Google Chrome. I'll have to remove that account from my laptop's Gmail Manager because I need to have GB activated on that account

Yea that Buzz thing has been here for a while. I think a few months back we found out why it was doing this and shouldnt be that hard to add a quick workaround inside the code. I am currently stuck doing Flash code for another 3-4 weeks but i guess afterward i will finally sit down with the .js files and help mook fix several of these known issues. The other known issues (outlined in the Knowledge Base) are pretty simple to fix since they are just Regular Expression oversights in the code...for example the not using quotes around the label issue requires a simple 1 character change in a specific .js file...technically when you read the code you can see it isnt just quotes but it is unlikely anyone would do the other cases...still though if i were fixing it i would fix for those other rare cases too. Should be fun.

lewayotte wrote:Oh by the way, Todd Long definitely knows about the issue -- tweeted a few days ago: http://twitter.com/ToddLong/status/23772790792388608

Problem is Todd is notorious of doing nothing about it. But still good to see he is finally have a bit more respect for his original creation. But as far as i am concerned mook is the new owner. But hey here is hoping for redemption and that todd fixes all the other problems mook and the community has been resolving over the many months -- he might be best served forking mooks version and then updating that since it would save a ton of headache of discovering bugs that mook had fixed months ago.
rustyjarz

Post by rustyjarz »

brand404 wrote:Make sure there are no special characters in account names & passwords.

Thought it might be a good idea to ask for clarification on the special characters e.g. numbers in a password might be ok but characters such as ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) are not ok.
VScott

Post by VScott »

where do i find "mooks" version?
ReturenToSender

Post by ReturenToSender »

em28:

didn't meant to change topic order !
I meant to start from scratch that topic, no one is interested in the first 240 pages.
I think we should start all over again, posting knowlagebase first.

Problem is this is the official thread for this pluggin. Somebody would have to change it in the program and chances are at Mozilla too.
Nyxtale

Post by Nyxtale »

VScott wrote:where do i find "mooks" version?

bottom page 247 :arrow: Knowledge base

brand404 wrote:
Because there are a lot of new (and apparently long) faces here i thought i'd just post the collective crowd's knowledge base of "to do's" for the newbies

Quick Facts:

• GM (GMail Manager)'s original download known as the tmlong version is obsolete and no longer supported so dont bother with that.
  • there are 3 other forked versions of GM that are discussed and supported within this thread -- the most active is: mook (i'd post download links to the other 2 forks but i am too lazy right now)

To-Do Checklist:

• Make sure all accounts' Google Buzz is turned off permanently (login to each gmail account manually -- dont use GM at this point or FF will freeze).
  • Make sure all Gmail accounts are in Standard View not Basic Html (note: by default all GMail accounts are in Standard View already)
  • Make sure all accounts names entered into GM are in lowercase.
  • Make sure there are no special characters in account names & passwords.
  • Make sure there are no quotes in label names (if you use them) within your GMail account.

Current Status (January 13, 2011)

• Working 100%
  • Latest Fix: Problem with not allowing multiple accounts to log in -- kept asking for the password and failing (a cookie issue)

Downloads:

brand404

Post by brand404 »

Added BUZZ Fix (No more Firefox Freezing)

Decided to take a few minutes to add an update to mook's latest version that resolves the Buzz problem (freezes Firefox) once and for all.

Download latest GM (mook) with Buzz fix

I will go inform mook so he can make it official in his next commit...until then anyone who needs Buzz (e.g. lewayotte) to work can just use this file.
Last edited by brand404 on January 13th, 2011, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lewayotte

Post by lewayotte »

brand404 wrote:Added BUZZ Fix (No more Firefox Freezing)

Decided to take a few minutes to add an update to mook's latest version that resolves the Buzz problem (freezes Firefox) once and for all.

Download latest Mook with Buzz fix

I will go inform mook so he can make it official in his next commit...until then anyone who needs Buzz (e.g. lewayotte) to work can just use this file.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Tested and verified... my one GMAIL account that requires Buzz has been added back in and is working without freezing Firefox.

Thanks again brand404
Gofo

Post by Gofo »

Download latest GM (mook) with Buzz fix

Great Job! THANKS mook and brand404.

On a side note is it just me or does it take longer to login and not all accounts login on the first try?
I'm using auto-login and a small amount always fails...
Mook

Post by Mook »

Thanks, pushed! I hope I did that git thing right and marked you as the author correctly. (A pull request would have been more sure, since that would tie things together github-side too, but anything that works is fine for me :D)

Re: tmlong coming back: yay, maybe that means I won't have to keep poking it anymore :)
poot.
brand404

Post by brand404 »

Gofo wrote:On a side note is it just me or does it take longer to login and not all accounts login on the first try?
I'm using auto-login and a small amount always fails...

Works perfectly fine and fast for me with multi-accounts (8 currently) with auto-login for all -- none fail.
Are you using a proxy -- proxies can be slow.

It's also possible the google server your side is accessing is possibly going through some temp maintenance.
Last edited by brand404 on January 14th, 2011, 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
sunny_one

Post by sunny_one »

error:

"could not install ... not a valid install package"

*sigh*

:(((((
brand404

Post by brand404 »

sunny_one wrote:error:

"could not install ... not a valid install package"

*sigh*

:(((((

I just checked it on my 2nd computer -- installed perfectly...no problems.

Try renaming the package with a ".zip" extension and then double-click it...can you see the contents of this plugin? If not then that's the problem. Maybe your download didn't complete successfully (it's corrupted).
sunny_one

Post by sunny_one »

brand404 wrote:Try renaming the package with a ".zip" extension and then double-click it...can you see the contents of this plugin? If not then that's the problem. Maybe your download didn't complete successfully (it's corrupted).

thanks brand,

I tried downloading again, dragged/dropped to the firefox window, got the same error. dl'd again, had firefox "open" it instead of save-then-drag, and it worked. (I wasn't ignoring your suggestion, was just doing all this before seeing your response).

i think this qualifies as one of those "wtf" moments.

it's all good, all working.

thanks again.
llamedos

Post by llamedos »

mook & brand404
I cannot thank you enough for your work on sorting out the bugs on this very valuable add-on. (and thanks to Todd for its creation..)
I installed Mooks version from your earlier post, deleted buzz from one account I had forgotten about (derrrr) and now everything works fine.
New email notification sounds and all! :D

=D> =D> =D>