[Ext] MR Tech's Link Wrapper 2.2.1 Released

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

np wrote:I know it's not an option, but don't drastically change it. If you look through the comments on AMO, you'll see people saying "does exactly what it said it would". I don't see this extension as needing any options dialog or anything. It works right out of the box and it works sanely by default as far as I've seen. This is a "set and forget" extension.

I think you have a point, what I might do for the release is by default have the Tools option and statusbar icons off, that way it will look exactly as the previous version but with all the underlying goodies, thanks for the great feedback.
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

np wrote:I know it's not an option, but don't drastically change it. If you look through the comments on AMO, you'll see people saying "does exactly what it said it would". I don't see this extension as needing any options dialog or anything. It works right out of the box and it works sanely by default as far as I've seen. This is a "set and forget" extension.

This breaks an awful lot of pages for me. An option dialog would be nice, in my case, rather than having to use about:config every time, if only for that.
And... actually, personally, I think ideal functionality would be to activate it only when needed, with instant apply, naturally. Kinda like how the bookmarklet and such works.
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

XerBlade wrote:

This breaks an awful lot of pages for me. An option dialog would be nice, in my case, rather than having to use about:config every time, if only for that.
And... actually, personally, I think ideal functionality would be to activate it only when needed, with instant apply, naturally. Kinda like how the bookmarklet and such works.

gee, I've looked through the postings, have you reported any sites that break, cause I haven't seen any postings.

Additionally if you check the notes for the planned 2.0 in the previous posting page, you'd see that you can disable wrapping and toggle it on temporarily with the 2.0 version that I should have out soon.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 54#2246154

I'd rather try to fix the sites that don't work than have users turn wrapping off, can you post some url examples, thanks.
Zoolcar9

Post by Zoolcar9 »

XerBlade wrote:This breaks an awful lot of pages for me. An option dialog would be nice, in my case, rather than having to use about:config every time, if only for that.

That's why ...
I wrote:I think you should add an option to wrap long lines manually, using a toolbarbutton or a context menu, to save page loading time, and white-listing for sites/pages to allow wrap automatically. #

And for the vote
mrtech wrote:- Do I release 2.0 as Link Wrapper and also release 1.3 as Link Wrapper Lite or....
- Do I release 2.0 as Link Wrapper Plus and leave 1.3 as Link Wrapper

Release 2.0 as Link Wrapper 2.0 and leave 1.3 as older version of Link Wrapper
I think two versions of Link Wrapper would confuse everyone.

My Firefox information | Add-ons | GitHub

"With great power, comes great desire to show it off."
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Ok, let's try this again,
- I would prefer to leave link wrapping on by default,
- I've already added a statusbar icon in my local development that can be used for manual wrapping and
- I really would like to see if you could post site that Link Wrapper doesn't work on so that I can investigate and possible fix instead of assuming that Link Wrapper should be turned off.

As for the two builds I get to many ppl saying "jeezzuus, what the hell happened to XXX extension was only 6k before and now it's 21k, that sucks, I'm uninstalling" So for now I'm planning "Link Wrapper 2.0" which will have the bell and whistles and "Link Wrapper Lite" which will be the old school trimmed down version.

Couple of question though for everyone, I can't find a good icon and I'm currently using the Extensions icon that I have (green puzlle piece) since it's the only one I could find quickly.

I have color coded in the current four statuses: enabled, disabled, charater limit and blacklist for the statusbar only. I really don't want to add four large AND small icons for the toolbar, so will having the icon in the statusbar suffice? again clicking it will wrap or unwrap the current page temporarily and right-click will give you options, etc.

Is this an "acceptable" approach?

Zoolcar9 wrote:
XerBlade wrote:This breaks an awful lot of pages for me. An option dialog would be nice, in my case, rather than having to use about:config every time, if only for that.

That's why ...
I wrote:I think you should add an option to wrap long lines manually, using a toolbarbutton or a context menu, to save page loading time, and white-listing for sites/pages to allow wrap automatically. #

And for the vote
mrtech wrote:- Do I release 2.0 as Link Wrapper and also release 1.3 as Link Wrapper Lite or....
- Do I release 2.0 as Link Wrapper Plus and leave 1.3 as Link Wrapper

Release 2.0 as Link Wrapper 2.0 and leave 1.3 as older version of Link Wrapper
I think two versions of Link Wrapper would confuse everyone.
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

mrtech wrote:I have color coded in the current four statuses: enabled, disabled, charater limit and blacklist for the statusbar only. I really don't want to add four large AND small icons for the toolbar, so will having the icon in the statusbar suffice? again clicking it will wrap or unwrap the current page temporarily and right-click will give you options, etc.

Is this an "acceptable" approach?

I, personally, would rather have a toolbar button, but if you want to use the statusbar button instead, that's no big deal. I will happily work with whatever you provide. 8-)
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

The Blood Series: BloodFire, BloodFire 3, BloodThunder, BloodSun, & BloodSong
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

mrtech wrote:
XerBlade wrote:

gee, I've looked through the postings, have you reported any sites that break, cause I haven't seen any postings.

Additionally if you check the notes for the planned 2.0 in the previous posting page, you'd see that you can disable wrapping and toggle it on temporarily with the 2.0 version that I should have out soon.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 54#2246154

I'd rather try to fix the sites that don't work than have users turn wrapping off, can you post some url examples, thanks.

Nah, I never have any problems with any pages I actually go to regularly, just with various pages I get to via Google or something when trying to look something up (which are, naturally, never the ones which have what I'm looking for). And the occasional incredibly unlikely test case in some forum postings using messy HTML, but those are the sorts of things that get problems from just about everything (such as the browser itself).
User Agent
Extensions
Zoolcar9

Post by Zoolcar9 »

mrtech wrote:As for the two builds I get to many ppl saying "jeezzuus, what the hell happened to XXX extension was only 6k before and now it's 21k, that sucks, I'm uninstalling" So for now I'm planning "Link Wrapper 2.0" which will have the bell and whistles and "Link Wrapper Lite" which will be the old school trimmed down version.

OK, you have a point here.

mrtech wrote:I have color coded in the current four statuses: enabled, disabled, charater limit and blacklist for the statusbar only. I really don't want to add four large AND small icons for the toolbar, so will having the icon in the statusbar suffice? again clicking it will wrap or unwrap the current page temporarily and right-click will give you options, etc.

You can make it look like NoScript/Stylish statusbar icon (left click to show the menupopup) or like Greasemonkey (left click to toggle enable/disable and right click to show the menupopup)

About the blacklist, actually I don't want all pages wrapped automatically, only the pages I want, so I prefer to whitelist, uses URL wildcard as filter like Greasemonkey (example: */viewtopic.php*, *showtopic=*, */showthread.php*)

But right now it's ok. Maybe on future versions :)

My Firefox information | Add-ons | GitHub

"With great power, comes great desire to show it off."
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

I found a couple of hookie images to use for the statusbar and have packaged them all up. Link Wrapper 2.0 and Link Wrapper Lite 2.0 are awaiting approval on UMO/AMO and I will post the updated xpi's on my site a little later tonight.

Thanks for your great input and enjoy.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Link Wrapper 2.0 and Link Wrapper Lite 2.0 have been released, enjoy.
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

mrtech wrote:Link Wrapper 2.0 and Link Wrapper Lite 2.0 have been released, enjoy.

LW 2.0 working great here! Excellent job, once again.
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

The Blood Series: BloodFire, BloodFire 3, BloodThunder, BloodSun, & BloodSong
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

With option set to either enabled or disabled, clicking the statusbar icon to toggle for the current tab doesn't change the statusbar image. Is this intended or no?
User Agent
Extensions
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

XerBlade wrote:With option set to either enabled or disabled, clicking the statusbar icon to toggle for the current tab doesn't change the statusbar image. Is this intended or no?

hmm, never noticed, sorry that slipped my testing, my intended goal was to have it switch much like it does when it's enabled, I'll look into the state of affairs and see what I can do, thanks.
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

I also just once managed to hit a somewhat complex (but still not entirely in the unlikely range) test case where I had to click toggle twice to get it to switch back to what I had set as default, but I can't for the life of me remember the exact steps I took, and I haven't been able to reproduce them. It had to do with going back and forward in tab history between two pages which both had long lines to be wrapped, while toggling on some but not all of the moves....

Edit: Ah, I found something else. With browser.startup.page set to 0 and Enable Wrapping unchecked, on startup, the statusbar will show enabled. It switches to the proper state on the first page load. If I have a blank tab running again after that point, it still shows the correct state, so that's not the issue.
Edit2: Also, if I load the first page in a new tab instead of current, switching to it and switching back to the original, still blank tab still shows the enabled state in the statusbar on that tab, but the correct state in the tab the page loaded in.
User Agent
Extensions
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

XerBlade: I'll do some testing and see what I find, thanks.