SpellBound Development version

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

Thank you, Cusser, for your clarification and offer to help me.

Cusser wrote:Removing UI for preferences where it makes sense to do so is a usability improvement for the majority rather than the minority. Firefox is about removing annoyances from the web (giving the user control in that respect), but if you compare it's interface to SeaMonkey or Opera, you'll quickly note the usability increase by relegating many less-useful preferences to about:config.

Yes, I do appreciate Firefox's additional preferences that are in about:config and not the GUI. If they were all in the GUI I can imagine it being overwhelming for a new or casual user. I've become very familiar with the about:config documentation in the knowledge base and I'm grateful for the work that was done to put that documentation together.

Alan Baxter wrote:
Cusser wrote:Remove: "Hide context menu when the focussed element can't be spell checked"
Justification: This should be hard-coded on. There's no need for a disabled menu item when it can be hidden instead - this is how the majority of context menu items function.

Since I've never had a desire to spell check non-focused elements, I might not miss that option if it were missing and hard-coded on instead. But what if a user wants to use the context menu to initiate a global spell check without having to first transfer focus to a checkable element? I don't know. Why do you think Robert put that option in there in the first place?

Well, that pref disables the menu item, but leaves it on the menu itself. This seems inconsistent with the way the context menu functions (i.e. a disabled item has no added value over a hidden item, it's just another thing to read when you're trying to use the menu). I think that the menu item should either be visible (and thus active) or hidden (and thus disabled).

I agree that a disabled context menu item shouldn't be visible but that isn't what that pref does. It says "Hide context menu when the focussed element can't be spell checked". That's quite different from your interpretation. Perhaps its description could be clearer.

Alan Baxter wrote:By the way, Spellbound's en-US dictionary flags focussed as a misspelling. Answers.com lists focussed as an acceptable variant. :)

Unfortunately I think that's outside the scope of this thread. The dictionaries are provided by a MozDev project - I don't know if Rob is a contributor.

Remind me to never play poker with you.

Alan Baxter wrote:That fact is that I sometimes do get confused about which elements are spell checkable and which ones aren't.

How so? If this is a problem, there might be a better overall solution that we can discuss, perhaps some way of making spell-checkable items more visible, or at least clarifying which are which.

I'll rethink this issue. Perhaps I'm not that confused. That fact is I always initiate a spell check with the context menu and "Check Spelling..." has always been available unless I try to spell check something in the search bar. In that case it's obviously not supported as soon as I see the context menu. I'll remove the toolbar button and see if I miss it.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and opinion.
Old R.Marotta

Post by Old R.Marotta »

@ Robert S...

Thank you so much for this Fantastic Extension!!
I Have it loaded and are using it on my iMac w/ the latest Mac Branch Build: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051209 Firefox/1.5 ID:2005120904
No problems at all, And Loaded it on my Girlfriends Windows XP Notebook as well, A Converted IE User....Now a Loyal Firefox User !

Keep Up The Great Work !!

p.s On A Side Note, I Spell Checked my Sig (Rmpmw) and the Spell Check Options are Armpits !!!!!
Can we do something about this????!!!!!
xpgeek

Post by xpgeek »

Awwwwwwesome ! Working beautifully here, no probs with 1.5 on XP SP2. I LOVE the in-line spell checking.
dogbreath

Post by dogbreath »

Wow! Thanks. Installed perfectly. Works great. Well done.
jedbro

Post by jedbro »

Robert, I found one bug that is a bit annoying.
If I start off the sentence with a capitol letter, or even a capitol letter in the Middle of a sentence, I would expect spellbound to respect the case when it gives me options for corrections.
As it is right now, I correct the word, then have to go back and manually edit the word (make first letter capitol).

What's interesting is it seems a bit random, as sometimes it works and other times only the first suggested word on the correction list IS capital, but the rest are not.
Cheers
-Jed
Hypercubed

Post by Hypercubed »

Robert,

Thanks for the development version. It works great and looks really good in my WYSIWYG FF extension (<a title="" target="" href="http://www.hypercubed.com/projects/firefox/">Xinha Here</a>). Are you planning on providing some documentation for extension developers to enable/disable inline checking and/or popup the spellchecker within their extensions? Basically I'd love to place the two buttons you have in the options-Test Area on the Xinha toolbars. That would make a great plugin for the Xinha core.

I've tried reverse engineering your extension to see if I could get it to work but haven't had any luck.
Jayson

<a href="http://blog.hypercubed.com/">blog.hypercubed.com</a>
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

rmpmw wrote:p.s On A Side Note, I Spell Checked my Sig (Rmpmw) and the Spell Check Options are Armpits !!!!!
Can we do something about this????!!!!!

hmmm... I get no suggestions for Rmpmw myself. You are referring to the suggested spellings... true?

Jed - I can think of a couple of reasons this may happen along with a couple of workarounds that might fix it... may be a little while before I get a chance to look at it as well as making it so it can be used from other extensions. I'll PM you when I have a version that can be used from other extensions.

Hypercubed - not sure when I am going to get a chance to re-write it to support other extensions but it is planned.
Alan Baxter

Random logic reversal in "Check all elements ..."

Post by Alan Baxter »

There seems to be bug in the "Check all elements that can be spell checked" logic. Occasionally the logic gets reversed.

I have Spell As You Type disabled so I have Dialog spell checking only. I have unchecked "Check all elements that can be spell checked" so that only the focused element will be spell checked. That usually seems to works correctly. But occasionally Spellbound gets in a mode where its logic seems to be reversed, i.e. another element is spell checked before the focused element. If I modify the spell check with the Shift key, then only the focused element is spell checked. I always initiate a spell check with the context menu. Neither of Spellbound's toolbar buttons are in the toolbar.

I can fix the problem -- for a while at least -- by resetting the option as follows: I check the "Check all ...' option, click OK, bring up the Spellbound Options again, uncheck the option, and select OK again.

I'm usually just spell checking forum postings. The current example I'm looking at is in a MozillaZine forum "Post a reply" page. I'm spell checking my reply, but there happens to be a misspelling in the Subject element. Normally Spellbound will only check the element that contains my reply, but when it's logic gets reversed, it flags the misspelling in the Subject element first.

I have been unable to come up with a test case which reproduces this problem. Things seem to be working just fine for a while, i.e. it ignores misspellings in the Subject element, but then it starts flagging misspellings in the Subject element. I have to work around the problem by using the Shift modifier, ignoring or correcting any misspellings in the Subject, or resetting the option as I described previously.

I hope this report is of some help to you, Robert. Thank you very much for Spellbound. It is one my most useful extensions and one of the very few that I recommend to others.
Fx 1.5, Windows XP Pro

Here are my non-default user preferences copied from prefs.js:
user_pref("extensions.spellbound.dialog.checkEntirePage", false);
user_pref("extensions.spellbound.dialog.commandAlwaysEnabled", false);
user_pref("extensions.spellbound.firstRun", false);
user_pref("extensions.spellbound.inline.autoCheckMaxChars", 0);
user_pref("extensions.spellbound.inline.autoCheckMaxChars_PreviousValue", 500);
user_pref("extensions.spellbound.inline.enabled", false);
user_pref("extensions.spellbound.inline.toolsMenuItemHidden", false);
user_pref("extensions.spellbound.myspell.lastModifiedTime", 1134032498);
user_pref("extensions.spellbound.spellcheck.showAlertOnComplete", false);

--
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5 - Build ID: 2005111116
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

Alan Baxter - next time that happens check the extensions.spellbound.dialog.checkEntirePage pref in about:config and post the value
Alan Baxter

Misspelled word in ssubject

Post by Alan Baxter »

Robert S. wrote:Alan Baxter - next time that happens check the extensions.spellbound.dialog.checkEntirePage pref in about:config and post the value

It's happening again right now and the value is false. The other values in about:config match prefs.js too.
Old R.Marotta

Post by Old R.Marotta »

@ Robert S.;

I'm in Need of an Equities (NYSE/NASDAQ/S&P/Russell 500/Etc..) Table Dictionary which could be added to spellbound,
I checked around breifly and could not find anything, Do You know of or how one could be made?
It would be very useful to alot of people, It would seem that many other dict's of other topics other than languages are needed,

Are making the dictionaries difficult? -

- And Yes, I should have rephrased my question - The Spell Check Suggestions for RMPMW Are (Armpits)......
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

Alan Baxter - thanks, that narrows it down quite a bit believe it or not... I'll debug it in the next few days.

rmpmw - read the following:
http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/faq#q505
http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/faq#q506
Hugh C Harries

SpellBound Development version

Post by Hugh C Harries »

Many thanks Robert. I had been struggling to get SpellBound working again after installing FF 1.5 and I found the developer's home page was no help at all. Your version is working as I write. Thanks again.
Hugh
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

Hugh... glad it is working... the previous version is working for the vast majority of people and chances are you didn't have the correct libraries installed or a dictionary installed (e.g. as it states must be reinstalled all over the spellbound site)... at least that has been the case for the people that have had problems.
Norvin

Post by Norvin »

With each new version of Mozilla Firefox, I create a CUSTOM version which has several extensions added to it. It still amazes me they are not included with the default release version of Mozilla Firefox. One of those extensions is Spellbound. I will upload my CUSTOM version later tonight to my website and post the link to it here. Anyway, to get Spellbound working with Mozilla Firefox 1.5 (assuming it has never been installed to your Firefox before)...

1) Download and install Spellbound 0.7.3 from Robert's website at http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/download then close and reopen Firefox.

2) Download and install the dictionary of your choice such as "spell-en-US.xpi" from http://dictionaries.mozdev.org/installation.html then close and reopen Firefox.

3) Download and install "Windows Mozilla spell check libraries from the Thunderbird 1.0+ 20050727 nightly build" also from Robert's website. Close and reopen Firefox.

It should work just fine now.
<b><a href="http://tinyurl.com/hfda6">Norvin's CUSTOM Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.1</a></b>
<b><a href="http://tinyurl.com/zqqof">Norvin's CUSTOM Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5.0.5</a></b>