"Back IS Close" extension

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
tpdi

Re: "Back IS Close" extension

Post by tpdi »

Updated to version 2.5. Close button is properly placed in Firefox's Australis UI.
gNoise

Post by gNoise »

Hi tpdi,

I still love your add-on, but it stopped working in 57 with WebExtensions. I noticed the add-on is not developed for a long time now but there are actually no decent alternatives, so I would like to ask you if you could port the plugin for "me". Although I guess I'm not the only one.

Thank you in advance.

If you can't or wont do it, would you consider making it free and open source? Currently the license states derivatives are prohibited.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Hasn't updated this extension in two years and hasn't visited the forum since 2008
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
gNoise

Post by gNoise »

malliz wrote:Hasn't updated this extension in two years and hasn't visited the forum since 2008
Ah, I see TP Diffenbach is the topic starter, but tpdi gave the last update (and I figured tpdi is short for TP Diffenbach).

Anyway, it's a great loss for Firefox. :cry:
LL25255252

Post by LL25255252 »

gNoise wrote:I still love your add-on, but it stopped working in 57 with WebExtensions.
Yes, it's a very useful addon. You can still use it in Pale Moon, Waterfox or Firefox ESR 52.
BTW - If you install Firegestures you can use it by assigning the LEFT gesture to "BrowserHandleBackspace();"
bomjacob

Post by bomjacob »

Have a look at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -close-we/. It doesn't work exactly the same, but it's about as much as is possible with web extensions right now.
gNoise

Post by gNoise »

bomjacob wrote:Have a look at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -close-we/. It doesn't work exactly the same, but it's about as much as is possible with web extensions right now.
Yeah, I have that one now, but I am not completely satisfied.
- Not all tabs are closed;
-- When I open a tab from the bookmarks toolbar, it's not closing on back.
-- When I open a link with the middle mouse button, the new tab wont close on back.
- When closing a tab, the NEXT tab is activated, in stead of the previous (i.e. the parent tab).

But I'm not 100% sure this is the fault of the add-on or the restrictions of the new Firefox...

Ah, I see you are the author :-) I am "Anonymous user 619e81" on the reviews on addons.mozilla.org.

Update: The 'not closing' is inconsistent! When I middle-click a link on this forum, the new tab cannot be closed with backspace or the back-button on the mouse. But now it does work when I middle-click on a bookmark from the toolbar.

Update: Aaah I now see what you mean. You can't let the add-on close tabs from addons.mozilla.org but also not a Firefox error page, like server not found or certificate error. That sucks.

Update: Ok! So for now this is the best possible there is. Too bad, but in that case: I would like to thank you very much for your work! =D> :wink: