"Back IS Close" extension

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
TP Diffenbach

Post by TP Diffenbach »

Chris000001 wrote:I was wondering if there is something I can put in my userchrome.css to make the regular back button show, but keep the back-is-close functionality?

As you've noticed, the BiC button is separate from the back button, they're alternately shown and hidden. IIRC there's a bac-is-close.css file (in chrome/extensions/whatever the hell the GUID); and there's a png with the button images.

Easiest thing to do would be to get a fresh copy of BiC, unzip it, unzip the jar inside it, change the css and/or images as you wish, zip the hart back up, zip the extension back up, and install your modified extension.

As the author of BiC, I'm more than happy with you doing this, but please DO NOT redistribute it; I don't want to deal with help requests/ bug reports about non-standard version, as I'll have no idea what the complaint's about.
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

Thanks for the reply. Instead of all the unzipping etc. I just started using 'list-style-image' with an image from my current skin. I was just hoping there was an easy way to automatically use the current skins (since I change skins often) back-button, without needing to find the 'back buttons' image name and location in the skins jar file. Maybe like a 'display: none' on the back-is-close button and some sort of 'visible' on the regular back-button image.
BBBenj

Post by BBBenj »

Hello!

My first post here...

I tried BiC for a long time now and I nearly always have the same problem.

First, my configuration:
WinXP SP2, Firefox 1.5.0.5, BiC 1.3.3 (and no more IETab!!)

When I open BiC extension, it is said BiC version 1.3.1, but in my extensions list it is written version 1.33... Is it OK???

Moreover, when I choose "Tabs, never windows", no error alerts but I can't close tabs. Too bad!

When I choose another option (which ever it is, including inactive!!!), I get this message (exact text!):
Exception thrown in (BackisClose) saveprefs: TypeError: Document.getElementById(CPMENUPREFIX + closePolicy) has no properties

And no function working as well...

Please, ask me whatever information you need, but this extension is such a wonder so I really need it!!! ;o)~

Thanks a lot.

Best regards

problem using BackIsClose and opening popup windows

Post by champoll »

Also for me this is the first post:

My configuration is MacOS X 10.4 (Tiger), Firefox 1.5.0.6, and BiC 1.3.3.

On certain websites there are javascript functions that open popup windows when you click on them. (i don't know if this is about javascript or just about popup windows) when I click on them, sometimes the window opens fine, but often nothing happens. then when i click a second time, a dialog box appears that says:

Alert

Back IS Close: exception in setup will retry 2 , exception: TypeError t.insertItem is not a function TypeError: t.insertItem is not a function

When I OK this dialog box, an empty window pops up, and the same message is showed again in another dialog box.

when I OK that second dialog box, almost the whole screen becomes blank (maybe it's a popup window with no frame), and i see the "spinning wheel" mouse icon that MacOS uses to show that the computer is busy. after a second or two, this disappears, and finally the popup shows up correctly. but by this time sometimes i've clicked on the popup link several times, and then the popup shows up several times even though it wasn't visible before.

Do you know what to do?
MrGrump

Post by MrGrump »

So, Back is Close phones home on startup -- can I disable that?

And the shortcut to BiC's preferences page that you withhold by calling it an Easter Egg when
it's a useful feature -- could you or someone post what it is? I haven't had any luck with my
Easter Egg hunt thus far...

Thanks for either solution -- or feel free to suggest an alternate, less precious extension I could use instead.
nthomas

Startup error with 2.0.0.8

Post by nthomas »

Since the last automatic upgrade of Firefox, to 2.0.0.8, I get an error message popup every time I start the browser, as follows:

Back IS Close: exception in shoutoutResponse, exception: Type Error rx has no properties Type Error rx has no properties

This does not seem to affect the functionality of Back is Close, or anything else that I have discovered, but it is very annoying to have to click the popup away every time. Uninstalling the extension cured the problem, but it came back after reinstalling. Is there any chance of an update to Back is Close to re-establish compatibility (or am I the only person getting this)?
tberman333

Re: Startup error with 2.0.0.8

Post by tberman333 »

nthomas wrote:Since the last automatic upgrade of Firefox, to 2.0.0.8, I get an error message popup every time I start the browser, as follows:

Back IS Close: exception in shoutoutResponse, exception: Type Error rx has no properties Type Error rx has no properties

This does not seem to affect the functionality of Back is Close, or anything else that I have discovered, but it is very annoying to have to click the popup away every time. Uninstalling the extension cured the problem, but it came back after reinstalling. Is there any chance of an update to Back is Close to re-establish compatibility (or am I the only person getting this)?

I am getting this as well. An update (or a workaround) would be great.
sa87

Post by sa87 »

IMHO this error is probably more widespread than just us 3 users in this thread.

I am seeing this on both the WinXP & Linux OS installs.

It has nothing to do with the recent Firefox upgrades, but has been caused by the extension not being able to get it's phonehome reply from the diffenbach.org domain name.

This domain name registration (not the hosting!) for diffenbach.org expired on 19 Oct 2007 (from historical data, the original NS was NS1.PLAINHOST.COM & NS2.PLAINHOST.COM) the registrar (tucows) has taken over the record and changed the nameservers to their "reminder" servers, unfortunately this is what resulted in the extension failing to call back home and it now shows the error dialog.

I am very, very disappointed that TP Diffenbach hasn't let the extension fail silently or even made allowances (or if they are there not documented them) for users wanting to disable this phone home thing.

Plus, as the extension is a compiled executable jar file, "going in" and commenting out the offending code until the author comes back isn't an option.

You have 3 choices to "workaround" this!

1. Uninstall extension
2. Put up with the error and wait
3. Add the IP for the original diffenbach.org server into your HOSTS file << my choice that has worked.

The IP for the server is 208.179.130.75 (queried direct from the original NS servers!)
Add this IP into your HOSTS file twice to resolve both diffenbach.org and www.diffenbach.org (do so at your peril, it's not my problem if you screw it up!) http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutoria ... ial51.html

{edited to add my workaround}
SMK2003

Post by SMK2003 »

sa87 wrote:Plus, as the extension is a compiled executable jar file, "going in" and commenting out the offending code until the author comes back isn't an option.

Actually, that "executable jar file" can be renamed to zip and extracted like any other extension ;)
Cal.123

Post by Cal.123 »

You three are not alone, but I only starting experiencing this behavior today. Very strange. I'm going to attempt to edit the jar - but as I'm not that experienced, I wish someone would post a solution as I really like the extension. It works so much better than 'Mouse Gestures' for closing tabs.

Thanks!

Cal.123
SMK2003

Post by SMK2003 »

Back IS Close 1.4 "No Phonehome" temporarily made available here:
http://www.unleashedmind.com/files/back ... 4np-fx.xpi
Cal.123

Post by Cal.123 »

SMK2003 wrote:Back IS Close 1.4 "No Phonehome" temporarily made available here:

Going to install now! Thanks for the link SMK2003...I'll report if I have any problems.

EDIT: All is fine! No banners - working like it should. What is this "Phone Home" anyway??? Why is a better question. We have enough spyware as it is trying to 'get out'. ;)

Cal.123 :)
sa87

Post by sa87 »

SMK2003 wrote:Actually, that "executable jar file" can be renamed to zip and extracted like any other extension ;)

/me slaps hand on head... forgot about the nested archive setup!

Cal.123 wrote:What is this "Phone Home" anyway??? Why is a better question. We have enough spyware as it is trying to 'get out'.

It's just what the author uses for montoring the use and deployment of the extension across different browser versions, it is noted on his website that this feature is there (see google cache of site), but I do agree with your point. There should either be no phone home, or at the very least it should be "opt out".
tberman333

Post by tberman333 »

Thanks for this, but the website hosting it seems to be down (maybe there is just too much traffic right now).
Cal.123

Post by Cal.123 »

tberman333 wrote:

Thanks for this, but the website hosting it seems to be down (maybe there is just too much traffic right now).

I put the new edited extension in a zip file - find it here:

http://www.fastdump.net/DOWNLOAD/a3d7b1 ... se-xpi.zip

Works fine for me!