"Back IS Close" extension

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
pschroeter

Re: "Back IS Close" extension

Post by pschroeter »

I waiting for Back is Close to be upgraded, it is one of a very small handful of extensions making me reluctant to upgrade to FF 3. I am sad to hear (but glad I don't have to try and fail) that forcing compatibility did not work as I was giving that route serious consideration.
Россарх

Post by Россарх »

This is definitely one the most important Firefox-extensions. It's really sad that is seems to have become abandoned. Are Firefox-extensions open sourced so that someone could recode it to work with the third version of FF? Or maybe someone knows any extension with similar functionality?

Thank you
Россарх

Post by Россарх »

Finally we have a fix for this!

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=656698
Cal.123

Post by Cal.123 »

What's wrong with just using the Ctrl+W key combo (referring to the post directly above this) - won't that close the last tab open in FF3? That's basically all that Back is Close would do - but with the mouse back button. I'm not using FF3 because of some other extensions not working, but Back is Close was my favorite. Using the keyconfig extension + another KeyConfig companion to 'help' it still leaves one with a two key keyboard combination to press - why not the default one of Ctrl+W if it works on FF3?

Am I see this wrong?
Россарх

Post by Россарх »

I have not experienced control+w closing any tabs on it's own after going back.
The Keyconfig fix, presented by Pirsquared, does not need 2 key combos - one just assign the same button/key combination for both "back" and "BrowserCloseTabOrWindow()" - that way the browser will back until last page is reached and the next key push will close the tab. As i see it, that's the way Back IS Close worked.
MACpistol.com

Post by MACpistol.com »

So when will this extension be updated for firefox 3?
wsmyth

Post by wsmyth »

Can you give us an update on compatibility with FFx 3.5? Thank you.
Cal.123

Post by Cal.123 »

wsmyth wrote:Can you give us an update on compatibility with FFx 3.5? Thank you.

The "Back to Close" extension is working fine for me on FF v3.5.

Find it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/9793
wsmyth

Post by wsmyth »

I will give it a try. Thank you.
Cal.123

Post by Cal.123 »

wsmyth wrote:I will give it a try. Thank you.

You might want to uncheck the "Close Window" 'box' as that will end up closing all open pages...tab or no.

:)

Edit: If anyone has suggestions of modifications...please offer them.

Thanks!
Cal.123

Post by Cal.123 »

And on the above added edit...I mean with *any* extension similar to these two.

:)
aformalevent

Post by aformalevent »

how about a 'forward is reopen closed tab' extention to go allong with this one. it just seems like a natural extension of this functionality. i imagine accidentally clicking the little back button on my mouse on a tab and just clicking the little forward button to reopen it. easy peasy. I hope this inspires someone!
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

aformalevent wrote:How about a 'forward is reopen closed tab' extension to go along with this one, it just seems like a natural extension of this functionality. I imagine accidentally clicking the little back button on my mouse on a tab and just clicking the little forward button to reopen it. "Easy Peasy". I hope this inspires someone!

Good Idea :!: "Forward to Undo Last Closed Tab" or "Forward to Reopen Closed Tab"

You wright I have tried doing that on occasion after closing a tab when pushing my mouse's back button and without thinking, I try to press my mouse's forward button thinking it would undo the last closed tab if the current tab I'm viewing has no forward history... #-o
LL25255252

Post by LL25255252 »

Alt-Left-Arrow not working correctly on the new Firefox 22 with "Tabs,never windows".

To reproduce:
Set "Back Is Close 2.1" to "Tabs,never windows".
One window with one tab which has "no page" to go back.

The Close special button isn't displayed (no bug)
Clicking Backspace doesn't close the window (no bug)
Clicking Alt-Left_arrow closes the window (bug)

Tested on a NEW profile with no other addons.
Back Is Close 2.1
Firefox 22

BTW - For those who use the Firegestures addon, this is the command you should assign to the "left" gesture:
FireGestures.sendKeyEvent({alt:true,keyCode:"DOM_VK_LEFT"});

@TP Diffenbach, please fix it.
TIA :)

OK, :lol: ,I don't need to wait for the fix. I've found a workaround. In Firegestures, I Changed the command assigned to the "left" gesture to BrowserHandleBackspace(); (I've found the command by using Keyconfig addon)
FF29stinks

Post by FF29stinks »

Update please.