[Ext] Firefox Showcase 0.9.1 : 1-16-2007

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

joseprio wrote:There's an extension that already does that... Tab preview. I might add a similar feature in Showcase in the future.
But not to the SeaMonkey version of Showcase I hope, since SeaMonkey already has tab previews built in.

Phil
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

mudtoe wrote:I've been using showcase for a few weeks, and I think I've found a bug of some sort. It looks like there is an issue with how the tabbed version of showcase gets control, and also possibly one with having the tabbed version up at the same time as the sidebar version, although the latter seems somewhat intermittent. In the first case, if I hit the toolbar button that brings up the tabbed version of showcase while I have a firefox tab open that has a page showing on it, as opposed to a blank new tab page, I get a large blurred version of one of the tabbed windows, and firefox goes to 100 percent cpu usage. Most of the time I can break the loop by hitting the toolbar button again to eliminate the window. If I do the same thing with a blank window open, all is well.

Also, on occasion I have issues with having both the tabbed version and the sidebar version up at the same time. The problem doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, the second instance to be opened shows the same large blurred window, and the firefox CPU usage goes to 100 percent. If you close the blurred one (i.e. the one opened second), the CPU usage goes back to normal. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing showcase, but that doesn't seem to make the problem go away. I'm using the latest version of the add-in.

mudtoe

Are you using the "thumbnail cache" feature? Maybe there's some bug in there, and it would explain the "large blurred thumbnail". Try restoring the default configuration (Showcase options, click on the "Settings" button in the low left part of the dialog, and choose "Restore defaults..."). Let me know if that works. I'll try to reproduce the issue anyways.
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

Philip Chee wrote:
joseprio wrote:There's an extension that already does that... Tab preview. I might add a similar feature in Showcase in the future.
But not to the SeaMonkey version of Showcase I hope, since SeaMonkey already has tab previews built in.

Phil

Good point! I'll keep that in mind. Anyways, my idea was to add some kind of additional information there, a bit more like the "Opera" solution. If I'm finally adding it, I'll disable it by default in SeaMonkey, and if activated, it will replace the current solution with Showcase one.
mudtoe

Post by mudtoe »

joseprio wrote:
Are you using the "thumbnail cache" feature? Maybe there's some bug in there, and it would explain the "large blurred thumbnail". Try restoring the default configuration (Showcase options, click on the "Settings" button in the low left part of the dialog, and choose "Restore defaults..."). Let me know if that works. I'll try to reproduce the issue anyways.

I reset to the default configuration and that appeared to solve the problem, although I'm not sure which settings got messed up. This has happened to me on two separate machines, so I'm wondering if it's an interaction between Showcase and one of the other add-ons I'm using. The one thing I did notice that was a bit unusual before I reset to default settings is that there were entries for the x and y sizes of the windows that were back to zero after the reset, and I don't remember ever changing those. I did change the default background colors and changed the options so that both the sidebar window and the main window stayed open after selecting a window.

I haven't fixed the other machine yet, so if you would like to see the settings, and can tell me how to extract them for posting, or of they reside in a text file, where that is, I'll be happy to do that.

mudtoe
mudtoe

Post by mudtoe »

I'm afraid I spoke too soon. Shortly after I reset the configuration, the problem came back, and this time resetting the configuration to "default" didn't solve the problem. From what I can tell by playing around it may be that when two showcase windows are open, one of them has issues finding all the windows. I say that because in one instance the showcase window said no windows were available so show, but there was one. I'm attaching three images showing the various manifestations of this problem. One shows the no window when there should be issue, and the two others show what happens if the tab window is opened first, and the other what happens when the sidebar window is opened first. The dialog box about no browser found comes up if you click in any of the blurred windows. Also, when the blurred windows are showing, Firefox is using 100 percent CPU.

mudtoe

P.S. With further playing around I have found that none of these problem occur if I keep the showcase tab window in a completely separate Firefox window from the Firefox window where the sidebar version of Showcase is running.

Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

mudtoe wrote:I'm afraid I spoke too soon. Shortly after I reset the configuration, the problem came back, and this time resetting the configuration to "default" didn't solve the problem. From what I can tell by playing around it may be that when two showcase windows are open, one of them has issues finding all the windows. I say that because in one instance the showcase window said no windows were available so show, but there was one. I'm attaching three images showing the various manifestations of this problem. One shows the no window when there should be issue, and the two others show what happens if the tab window is opened first, and the other what happens when the sidebar window is opened first. The dialog box about no browser found comes up if you click in any of the blurred windows. Also, when the blurred windows are showing, Firefox is using 100 percent CPU.

mudtoe

P.S. With further playing around I have found that none of these problem occur if I keep the showcase tab window in a completely separate Firefox window from the Firefox window where the sidebar version of Showcase is running.

Ok, thanks a lot for the information! I'll do my best to find the exact bug and fix it. I'll be releasing a new version soon, and it would be great if I could solve that problem. Check this thread back in a couple of days, I'll post my findings here.
Last edited by Old joseprio on April 17th, 2007, 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

joseprio wrote:
mudtoe wrote:I'm afraid I spoke too soon. Shortly after I reset the configuration, the problem came back, and this time resetting the configuration to "default" didn't solve the problem. From what I can tell by playing around it may be that when two showcase windows are open, one of them has issues finding all the windows. I say that because in one instance the showcase window said no windows were available so show, but there was one. I'm attaching three images showing the various manifestations of this problem. One shows the no window when there should be issue, and the two others show what happens if the tab window is opened first, and the other what happens when the sidebar window is opened first. The dialog box about no browser found comes up if you click in any of the blurred windows. Also, when the blurred windows are showing, Firefox is using 100 percent CPU.

mudtoe

Ok, thanks a lot for the information! I'll do my best to find the exact bug and fix it. I'll be releasing a new version soon, and it would be great if I could solve that problem. Check this thread back in a couple of days, I'll post my findings here.

I already found and fixed the error... I'll probably make a new release in a week or so. The problem appears when using several Showcase instances simultaneously, and at least one of them is a Showcase tab. Thanks a lot for your help :)
mudtoe

Post by mudtoe »

joseprio wrote:I already found and fixed the error... I'll probably make a new release in a week or so. The problem appears when using several Showcase instances simultaneously, and at least one of them is a Showcase tab. Thanks a lot for your help :)

How's the new release coming along? If you need a beta tester I'll volunteer (I'm anxious to get rid of this problem as I keep inadvertently opening both instances in the same broswer window<g>).

mudtoe
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

mudtoe wrote:
joseprio wrote:I already found and fixed the error... I'll probably make a new release in a week or so. The problem appears when using several Showcase instances simultaneously, and at least one of them is a Showcase tab. Thanks a lot for your help :)

How's the new release coming along? If you need a beta tester I'll volunteer (I'm anxious to get rid of this problem as I keep inadvertently opening both instances in the same broswer window<g>).

mudtoe

The new version will be available in a week... Of course, I can send you the current version with the bug solved (and a new feature). Just send me your email address by private message, and I'll send it as soon as possible.
benrl

Firefox Showcase doesn't appear under view

Post by benrl »

I'm using the current Firefox update.
Old joseprio

Re: Firefox Showcase doesn't appear under view

Post by Old joseprio »

benrl wrote:I'm using the current Firefox update.

So, it works well, I hope? :)
Chris313AllNight

Re: Firefox Showcase doesn't appear under view

Post by Chris313AllNight »

joseprio wrote:
benrl wrote:I'm using the current Firefox update.

So, it works well, I hope? :)

I was having a problem myself between TMP and Showcase. Whichever bug you fixed, seems to have fixed my problem.

Thanks!

Good work as always.
David.P

Focus problem / Distinguish active tab

Post by David.P »

Hi Jose and first of all thanks for the continued development of the indispensable Showcase Extension!

I have two little remarks regarding the latest version:

First, since upgrading to the latest version I have experienced a focus problem between the Showcase sidebar and the browser window.

I use the Ctrl+W shortcut for closing tabs a lot. However recently, the input focus quite often seems to shift unintentinally (e.g. without clicking) to the Showcase sidebar. Then, if I want to close the active tab and hit Ctrl+W, instead of closing the tab, the Showcase sidebar gets closed.

The second little issue is regarding the distinction between the active tab and the other, inactive tabs. With lots of tabs open, it can be really hard to differentiate between the active tabs thumbnail and the other thumbnails only by the title being bold or regular.

Background is that I have Tabflipping enabled -- meaning that if I click twice on an inactive tab thumbnail, I am back to the current (active) tab, but: the inactive tab's thumbnail keeps the highlighted title bar!

Therefore, I can't seem to rely on the status of the thumbnail titlebar to identify the active tab, but instead have to squint my eyes and hunt for the thumbnail with the bold title, which can be hard to identify.

Maybe at some stage something can be done about these two issues -- that would be GREAT (as usual ;))

Cheers,
David.P
Old joseprio

Re: Focus problem / Distinguish active tab

Post by Old joseprio »

David.P wrote:Hi Jose and first of all thanks for the continued development of the indispensable Showcase Extension!

I'll make my best continue until there's nothing to fix and I'm out of ideas :)

David.P wrote:First, since upgrading to the latest version I have experienced a focus problem between the Showcase sidebar and the browser window.

I use the Ctrl+W shortcut for closing tabs a lot. However recently, the input focus quite often seems to shift unintentinally (e.g. without clicking) to the Showcase sidebar. Then, if I want to close the active tab and hit Ctrl+W, instead of closing the tab, the Showcase sidebar gets closed.

I'm quite sure that in previous versions, the focus was already set to the sidebar... This is also the behavior with the other sidebars (they'll focus the text field). However, the sidebar shouldn't close when hitting CTRL+W, and this will be corrected in the next version.

David.P wrote:The second little issue is regarding the distinction between the active tab and the other, inactive tabs. With lots of tabs open, it can be really hard to differentiate between the active tabs thumbnail and the other thumbnails only by the title being bold or regular.

Background is that I have Tabflipping enabled -- meaning that if I click twice on an inactive tab thumbnail, I am back to the current (active) tab, but: the inactive tab's thumbnail keeps the highlighted title bar!

Therefore, I can't seem to rely on the status of the thumbnail titlebar to identify the active tab, but instead have to squint my eyes and hunt for the thumbnail with the bold title, which can be hard to identify.

I'll think about how to solve that... for now, you may change the label style to "Plain with close button" (settings -> "Thumbnails" -> "Appearance"). It has a larger margin, and you should be able to locate the current thumbnail a lot easier.
David.P

Re: Focus problem / Distinguish active tab

Post by David.P »

Thanks Josep, for the fast response!

joseprio wrote:I'm quite sure that in previous versions, the focus was already set to the sidebar... This is also the behavior with the other sidebars (they'll focus the text field). However, the sidebar shouldn't close when hitting CTRL+W, and this will be corrected in the next version.

Right. Actually I did experience the unwanted closing of the sidebar instead of the active thumbnail-tab already in the previous version as well. However, with the latest version of Showcase, it seems to happen much more often that sidebar instead of the tab gets closed.

joseprio wrote:I'll think about how to solve that... for now, you may change the label style to "Plain with close button" (settings -> "Thumbnails" -> "Appearance"). It has a larger margin, and you should be able to locate the current thumbnail a lot easier.

Hmm -- I have switched to this style; however, the problem persists, since also with the "Plain with close button" setting, after tabflipping what remains with a blue highlighted title bar still is the inactive tab...

Thank you,
David.P