[Ext] Firefox Showcase 0.9.1 : 1-16-2007

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

Yes, I think it would be an interesting feature... I'll keep that in mind for future improvements.
IC3

Post by IC3 »

[Post removed]

Wrong thread :P
Last edited by IC3 on August 26th, 2007, 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
If the marine corps wanted you to have a wife, they would have issued you one
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

This problem will disappear if Showcase is disabled?
lars_huttar

Post by lars_huttar »

Jose, thanks for a great extension. I have been looking through the Getting Started docs, and it's wonderful to see an add-on that not only has a very complete feature set, but they are well documented and explained!
I just blogged a <a href="http://www.huttar.net/wordpress/?p=128">wishlist</a> of features for a tab manager. Showcase has most of those features, including some I figured were too much to hope for. The features I'm most happy about are searching/filtering, and performing actions on multiple selections of tabs.

Although I tried Showcase some time ago and was impressed, I currently do not use it. The one feature I do not see in Showcase, which would make a great deal of difference to me, is <i>the ability to turn off thumbnails</i>. The reason for this is that rendering 50+ thumbnails takes a long time, I would rather use the space to show more tabs and more of the title and URL, and to me, the appearance of a tab (especially a shrunken appearance) is not very helpful in browsing through a large set of tabs. Maybe I'm verbally-oriented rather than visually-oriented. In any case, when I have 50 tabs open, rendering 50 thumbnails is slow, and I would be much more productive with a file explorer-like tab list.

A simple list display like the default "Show all tabs" dropdown menu would be fine, if it supported all of Showcases extra features (multiple selection with close action, searching/filtering, keep the list open in a sidebar).

Thanks again for a great add-on. I hope that this would be a reasonably small tweak and would enable me to take advantage of the many useful features Showcase has to offer.

Lars
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

lars_huttar wrote:Although I tried Showcase some time ago and was impressed, I currently do not use it. The one feature I do not see in Showcase, which would make a great deal of difference to me, is <i>the ability to turn off thumbnails</i>. The reason for this is that rendering 50+ thumbnails takes a long time, I would rather use the space to show more tabs and more of the title and URL, and to me, the appearance of a tab (especially a shrunken appearance) is not very helpful in browsing through a large set of tabs. Maybe I'm verbally-oriented rather than visually-oriented. In any case, when I have 50 tabs open, rendering 50 thumbnails is slow, and I would be much more productive with a file explorer-like tab list.

Yes, rendering 50+ thumbnails is slow... however, in the "Advanced" tab in Showcase settings you've the option to enable a "cache", so thumbnails will be generated during the regular browsing. If you plan to use it with a lot of thumbnails, then use "200" as the thumbnail size, as then thumbnails will be large enough and won't be repainted.

The reason of it not being enabled by default is not to impact in any way the user's browsing. Although the impact is small, it can be noticeable to some users in some machines, and it is my intention not to affect the browsing in any negative way. Also, keeping the thumbnails in memory takes extra amount of the system's memory, which is something that people is usually concerned about, too.

I'm planning further improvements in this are, like allowing a threshold for the sequential thumbnail painting, or improve the smartness of the caching mechanism. Also, on Firefox 3, the thumbnail rendering is a lot faster, so I'll definitely consider adding this mechanism by default.

Of course, there's the option to disable the previews. As it's not difficult to implement, I'll make sure to add this option in a future release. However, I'm not really sure on how nice will it look... I'll make a post on this thread once I release a version with this feature, so people is aware of it :)

lars_huttar wrote:A simple list display like the default "Show all tabs" dropdown menu would be fine, if it supported all of Showcases extra features (multiple selection with close action, searching/filtering, keep the list open in a sidebar).

The problem with this is that drop downs are meant to be temporal, so I don't think it would be adequate. However, I might add some option that would make it easy to make showcase look like a drop down (it's mostly about the initial window position, as there's an option to remove the window title bar).

lars_huttar wrote:Thanks again for a great add-on. I hope that this would be a reasonably small tweak and would enable me to take advantage of the many useful features Showcase has to offer.

Well, if your problem was speed, I already gave you a tip :) But in any case, I'm always looking for interesting additions that will make my extension better, so I'll try out your suggestions.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Anything new about the Minefield problems?
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

Just read your wishlist... Once you select all thumbnails, right click on them and choose "Close". It also gives the option to close the other tabs (all the tabs that are not selected). Alternatively, you may just hit the "Delete" key.

I already had plans to include the ability to sort, but since it's not really easy to add (mostly because it requires new localization strings), I've been delaying it.
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

trolly wrote:Anything new about the Minefield problems?

You mean the missing string, right? Yes, that's solved in the latest released version, but I usually don't include the "trunk" version on Showcase compatibility list, as it's a moving target. However, I'm quite certain that it will work, so you can force the installation by using Local Install or Nightly Tester Tools. If there's any other issue, let me know and I'll make sure to solve them as soon as possible!
trolly

Post by trolly »

Thanks. Looks fine again.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
Ma82

Post by Ma82 »

Hello.

I have just installed the extension on Firefox 2.0.0.8 (iceweasel) on Debian Sid.

This is the result when I press whatever default key combination:

XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
Location: chrome://showcase/content/showcase.xul?global=false
Line Number 27, Column 1:<window title="&showcase.title;"
^

Do you have any hint about this?

I can provide whatever info about my configuration, but I don't know much about JS/Firefox so please treat me as a total newbie. :-)

I'd really like to try this extension... So, looking forward to hearing from you!

Thanks
Matteo
joseprio

Post by joseprio »

Ma82 wrote:I have just installed the extension on Firefox 2.0.0.8 (iceweasel) on Debian Sid.

This is the result when I press whatever default key combination:

Location: chrome://showcase/content/showcase.xul?global=false
Line Number 27, Column 1:<window title="&showcase.title;"
^

Do you have any hint about this?

I can provide whatever info about my configuration, but I don't know much about JS/Firefox so please treat me as a total newbie. :-)

In what language are you using Firefox? This error is quite weird... I'm using some old functionality for the "chrome registration" (register the different locales and files to Firefox internal registry), so maybe this functionality is broken in Iceweasel :(
nullman

I have the same issue...

Post by nullman »

I get a similar result on all of my Ubuntu machines (64 and 32 bit 7.04 and 7.10 respectively, firefox 2.0.0.8, ff showcase 0.9.4.1). Clicking on Open Showcase Sidebar gives:

Line Number 27, Column 1:<page title="&showcase.title;"
^

I've had this issue for a couple of months now actually.
joseprio

Re: I have the same issue...

Post by joseprio »

nullman wrote:I get a similar result on all of my Ubuntu machines (64 and 32 bit 7.04 and 7.10 respectively, firefox 2.0.0.8, ff showcase 0.9.4.1). Clicking on Open Showcase Sidebar gives:

^

This only happens in Showcase sidebar? Also, what language are you using in your browser?
nullman

Post by nullman »

joseprio wrote:
nullman wrote:I get a similar result on all of my Ubuntu machines (64 and 32 bit 7.04 and 7.10 respectively, firefox 2.0.0.8, ff showcase 0.9.4.1). Clicking on Open Showcase Sidebar gives:

^

This only happens in Showcase sidebar? Also, what language are you using in your browser?
It happens with all of the View --> Showcase options.

Language is set to en-us.
joseprio

Post by joseprio »

nullman wrote:
joseprio wrote:

^

It happens with all of the View --> Showcase options.

Language is set to en-us.

I think I know why this is happening... I'll make some modifications, but I need someone to try them. If you would be willing to do so, could you send me your email address by PM?