[Ext] Firefox Showcase 0.9.1 : 1-16-2007

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Old joseprio

Re: Firefox Showcase 0.7.0 : 7-14-2006

Post by Old joseprio »

joseprio wrote:Showcase is an extension thought to easily locate and select any open browser window in your system.
Description - Screenshots - Download

Changelog for this version:
- Find bar: locate any thumbnail by content, title or URL. Activate with "CTRL+F".
- Multiple selection of thumbnails (use cursors or mouse clicks with Shift or Control).
- New operations for multiple selections: Close Selected, Close Other Tabs, Duplicate in New Window, Merge in New Window.
- Browser windows can have multiple thumbnails representing them.
- Contextual menu options can be customized.
- Added "View source" contextual menu option (not shown by default).
- "Print" contextual menu option not shown by default.
- Contextual menu can be disabled, and actions can be assigned to the right mouse button click.
- Thumbnail order is now synchronized with the windows tab order.
- Sidebar title will show the number of opened windows/tabs as in the other modes (disabled by default).
- Changed keyboard cursor style.
- Background color for sidebar and window modes is configurable, like it was for the tab mode.
- Showcase title statistics are available for sidebar, are configurable and disabled by default.
- Improved configuration panels.
- Fixed small distortion bug (noticeable when thumbnails were really small).
- Fixed tab resizing producing incorrect thumbnail resizing.
- Fixed memory leaks reported by Leak Monitor extension 0.3.4 .
- Added some modifications to make Showcase compatible with "Tab Extensions" extension.
- "Mouse over" animation is disabled by default (can be enabled in the settings panel)
- Added locales for danish (da-DK, by Finn Sørensen). French locale has been updated by Jojaba, and Italian locale by MatrixIsAllOver.
Full Changelog

New version is now available! Get it from the download page or directly from AMO.

A lot of code has been changed, and there are a lot of new features. I specially like the new find bar (invoke it with CTRL+F), which allows to find the tab you want in a very handy way.
Last edited by Old joseprio on June 1st, 2007, 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old joseprio

New features explanation

Post by Old joseprio »

A bit of explanation on the new features:
  • Find bar: it's invoked using Ctrl+F from the Showcase window. Typing on the find field will "filter" the thumbnails, so the more accurate the search, the bigger the thumbnails. Also, if there's only one result and you press Enter, you'll go to that tab directly.
  • Multiple tab selection: multiple tabs can be selected at the same time, so you can perform several actions on them (currently, bookmark, reload, merge in new window, duplicate in new window, close selected, close other tabs). To make a multiple selection, you can double click on a free area to select all (or Ctrl+A), single click to deselect, use cursors while pressing the Shift key, click the thumbnails with Ctrl or Shift... Note that you can use multiple selection together with the new search feature.
  • Scroll: this is enabled by default in the sidebar mode (and can be enabled on the other modes, too). In the case that the thumbnail size is gonna be too small, it will use scrolling to keep an acceptable thumbnail size.

Also, it's fully compatible with Firefox 2.0 beta 1! To get a full list of the changes, read the Changelog.
fractalbit

Smoother thumbnails

Post by fractalbit »

Hello, since firefox 2.0 is currently available as a beta 1 i would like to ask if there is an improvemnt on the resampleing functions so we could have more smooth and nice looking thumbs especially for text. Thanks in advance
Old joseprio

Re: Smoother thumbnails

Post by Old joseprio »

fractalbit wrote:Hello, since firefox 2.0 is currently available as a beta 1 i would like to ask if there is an improvemnt on the resampleing functions so we could have more smooth and nice looking thumbs especially for text. Thanks in advance

Unfortunately, the resampling won't be improved in Firefox 2.0, since it will be the same version of the Gecko engine as Firefox 1.5 (the Gecko 1.8).

The good news is that it will look a LOT better in Cairo enabled builds, which are already available in the trunk builds (with Gecko 1.9)... It's not working yet, but it should be working soon (more information in Bugzilla). I'll post some screenshots in this thread once it's working properly.

I had an idea to improve the aliasing quality, but it would involve the use of binary components, and would be a lot slower :(

For now, you may use Showcase zoom feature (middle click), or enable mouse over thumbnail zoom.
LordDeath

Post by LordDeath »

hello.
could you please add this feature in your (great) extension? at best with fx 3.0 cario compatibility ;)
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

LordDeath wrote:hello.
could you please add this feature in your (great) extension?

That's a feature I really like, but that extension already takes good care of that functionality! :) Also, as a user, I prefer having different functionalities as different extensions.

LordDeath wrote:at best with fx 3.0 cario compatibility ;)

The great thing about that is that any extension that uses the thumbnail feature (like Tab Preview) will automatically look better! Too bad it's not working yet...
LordDeath

Post by LordDeath »

hm, the last comment from Bug 324803 is from april. there seems to be no development for this case :(
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

LordDeath wrote:hm, the last comment from Bug 324803 is from april. there seems to be no development for this case :(

Well, there seems to be a long list of bugs for that version related to the Cairo builds (you can see it here)... Anyways, they seem to be working very well on that, so hopefully they'll find time to fix the drawWindow issue soon ;)
MrMystery

Post by MrMystery »

Could you use the chosen theme's close tab icon instead of the default one? This is what happens in the Add-ons panel (after an update search), etc.
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

I really would like to, but the problem is that the definition of close button changes from theme to theme, so when I tried to use to use the current theme for the close button, it only worked sometimes... that means that sometimes it wouldn't even show a close icon. So, Showcase defines it's own close button, that looks exactly like the default theme. Yes, there are a few icons that I made theme dependant (so they may fail in some themes), but I considered they weren't too important (not like the close button, at least). Of course, the best, would be that theme authors add support to Showcase in their themes, but well, it's up to them ;)

However, it's possible to override that functionality using the userChrome.css (detailed information about it can be found here). Just add the following to that file:

Code: Select all

.thumbnail-close {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/icons/close.png") !important;
}

That should work!
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

If you use <toolbarbutton class="tabs-closebutton">. Then you should automatically pick up the closebutton image from the theme.

Phil
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

Philip Chee wrote:If you use <toolbarbutton>. Then you should automatically pick up the closebutton image from the theme.

Yes, that works well! I think I'll be adding that for the next version. Thanks! :)
MrMystery

Post by MrMystery »

joseprio wrote:
Philip Chee wrote:If you use <toolbarbutton>. Then you should automatically pick up the closebutton image from the theme.

Yes, that works well! I think I'll be adding that for the next version. Thanks! :)

Excellent, thanks!
MrMystery

Post by MrMystery »

Could I suggest some menu changes?

1. Change menu entry capitalisation to "Showcase This Window", "Showcase Tab", "Showcase Tab for This Window", etc. This would bring the extension into line with the structure of the default Firefox menus.

2. Provide the option to remove the "Showcase Options..." entry.

3. Move the Showcase submenu to between "Status Bar" and "Sidebar" (making it similar to IE7's QuickTabs).
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

MrMystery wrote:1. Change menu entry capitalisation to "Showcase This Window", "Showcase Tab", "Showcase Tab for This Window", etc. This would bring the extension into line with the structure of the default Firefox menus.

Absolutely. Didn't notice... unfortunately, this change will have to wait for the next version (0.8.0 should be released quite soon!).

MrMystery wrote:2. Provide the option to remove the "Showcase Options..." entry.

I thought it could be done using a userChrome.css, but it can't... I'll update the current version to add id entries in the menu items, so they can be hidden using something like:

Code: Select all

#showcaseMenuSeparator { visibility: hidden; }
#showcaseOptionsMenuItem { visibility: hidden; }

Of course, it would be a lot easier to manage if I added an option... but I think this will be enough for now! ;)

MrMystery wrote:3. Move the Showcase submenu to between "Status Bar" and "Sidebar" (making it similar to IE7's QuickTabs).

That would make sense :) I'll update it for this version!