[Ext] Fission 0.8.9 [Sep 25]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

I accidentally linked the wrong file in my update.rdf. You'll have to download Fission from the link above and install it locally. Sorry for that.
Branstrom

Post by Branstrom »

Oh yay. Will try it out.
shawn^

Post by shawn^ »

Thanks Zeniko
Branstrom

Post by Branstrom »

I've got my goodies up and running now, going to create a simple webpage to showcase it and a bunch of other tweaks.

Thank you very much for this psionically superspiffy extension.
Branstrom

Post by Branstrom »

What controls how often it updates the progressbar?
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

The progress bar is not updated by Fission but by a nsIWebProgressListener (which is informed whenever any state changes - see browser.js). However, not every update leads directly to a change in the progress bar - small differences are ignored (see progressmeter.xml). The attribute on #urlbar on the other hand was set at each change by Fission 0.4. Fission 0.5 now updates it also only when the progress bar visually changes. So in the end, it's the network connection which controls the update rate. Why do you ask?
Branstrom

Post by Branstrom »

Because I'm curious about that kind of stuff. And I want a smoother motion, if at all possible. Hmm.
Bloodeye

Post by Bloodeye »

I like this extension. ;)

...but how about kicking it up a notch. Any chance of you integrating some images to show the progress? Basically the images would be in a stack or deck. There would be two end images and two center images. The bottom center image is stretched (static) to fill the address bar. The top center image is stretched (dynamic by progress) to fill the address bar. The effect would be something like the image below.

For demonstration purposes I made the images wide, but for this demo they would only need to be 1 pixel wide. 1 pixel wide sets limits on variations though. If you wanted to kick it up another notch you could use animated progress images. I could help out with some images...just an idea.

old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Although this looks really cool, I won't include any images or different styles into Fission. The problem is that what looks great with one theme might not fit with another theme at all. I simply try to ship Fission with sensible defaults (decent and easy to change).

Now, what you want to achieve can already be done through userChrome.css alone. Just copy the three images (here called progress-back, progress-full and progress-empty) into the same folder as userChrome.css and add the following lines to userChrome.css:

Code: Select all

#urlbar[fission="fusion"] > .autocomplete-textbox-container,
#urlbar[fission="fusion"] #page-proxy-deck + hbox {
   background: url(progress-back.gif) #999999 !important;
}
#urlbar[fission="fusion"] #page-proxy-deck + hbox {
   height: 20px !important;
   padding: 2px !important;
}
#urlbar[fission="fusion"] > #statusbar-icon {
   margin: 0px 22px !important;
   visibility: visible !important;
   background: url(progress-empty.gif) #D0D0D0 !important;
}
#urlbar[fission="fusion"] > #statusbar-icon > .progress-bar {
   background: url(progress-full.gif) #00FF00 !important;
}

Then you can even modify these styles somewhat more to make it fit best with your theme... or you could help the theming people to include this into their themes, so that installing Fission already gives a better experience.

EDIT: Updated the styling for a better result (requires Fission 0.6).
Last edited by old zeniko on January 28th, 2006, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bloodeye

Post by Bloodeye »

Not exactly the same thing.

I wasn't talking about building styles into it, just having the option of it being styled. All you would need are some image place-holders at the end. Something that users and themers could both use. I assume you wan't to keep it simple because it's easier to maintain that way.

Anyways, like I said just an idea...
Branstrom

Post by Branstrom »

Placeholders? When you in the stylesheet can just link any files you put in the folder or on your computer at all for that matter (through the file:// protocol)?

The Stylish extension makes the skinning process easier: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=327735
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

Sounds cool and all, from a designer perspective mainly, but the WinXP Media Center style default progress bar is perfect for me personally (it's most of the reason I bothered obtaining the patch to Media Center style in the first place), and basically looks like that image set only more professional. Really though, the best thing to do is just have it work with whatever theme is active. Adding in something like that customizable would only bog it down.
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps
Branstrom

Post by Branstrom »

It's already fully customizable. So themers can easily add the necessary CSS to make it aesthetically compatible with the theme, and users can tweak it or create new styles or import from CSS snippets on websites, either by userChrome.css or with the excellent Stylish extension I mentioned above.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

The latest update, <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/fission.xpi">Fission 0.6</a>, finally allows themes to recognize whether Fission is installed and what mode it's in. I've improved the above example to demonstrated this:

Code: Select all

#urlbar[fission="fusion"] { /* applies to Fusion-style only */ }
#urlbar[fission="icon"]   { /* applies to Icon-style only */ }
#urlbar:not([fission])    { /* applies only if Fission is not installed */ }

Themers can now include appropriate styling for Fission without requiring it to be installed.

@Bloodeye: My progress bar currently looks exactly as on your image. The reason you don't need additional image placeholders is that you can style the background of all elements with indiviual images. If you add the updated code from the above example into your userChrome.css, you'll see from the background colors where the different images would be placed (unless you've already moved the images into place).
Branstrom

Post by Branstrom »

You're actually using that? My candid opinion is that that's ugly as hell. ;) Oh hum...

Great release, I guess I didn't realize all I described wasn't really true until now.