[Ext] Fission 0.8.9 [Sep 25]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
eilegz

Post by eilegz »

i really need help on this my theme its mostly crystal the extension works great but theres something that annoys me a lot, i dont know why and when everytime i load a site thet urlbar background change the color from white to grey, i just wanted that it stay in white.

old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

eilegz: For issues with themes other than the default ones, please contact the theme's author.
eilegz

Post by eilegz »

well it seems that after many edit of my userchrome

i added this and it works like i wanted thanks anyways

#urlbar[fission] #statusbar-icon {
background: transparent !important;
"People willing to trade their freedom for security deserve neither and will lose both."
"When someone's heart has no love there is no life nor hope"
"When happiness fades away only sadness remain"
Terpfen

Post by Terpfen »

What are the odds of Fission being made Locationbar2-compatible?
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Terpfen: If you check Locationbar²'s options, you'll note that it is already Fission-compatible.
Terpfen

Post by Terpfen »

zeniko wrote:Terpfen: If you check Locationbar²'s options, you'll note that it is already Fission-compatible.

Thank you. When I last used Locationbar, it didn't have a Fission compatibility option, therefore I presumed it was the responsibility of Fission to become compatible with LB2, not vice-versa. I'm glad I can use both extensions now.
mesonofgib

Post by mesonofgib »

Hi Zeniko, thanks for the great extension! I'm currently experimenting with modifying the CSS for Fission using stylish, have already come up with some cool stuff. One thing that I can't figure out how to do, is I want the status (i.e. the bit that says "waiting for www.google.com") to appear on the left of the addressbar where the current url would normally be, and not to display the URL altogether. Is it possible to do that?

Thanks in advance
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

mesonofgib wrote:I want the status to appear on the left of the addressbar

Reordering elements through CSS alone is somewhere between cumbersome and impossible. In this case, I haven't been able to achieve the desired effect. Maybe somebody else can help...
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

Code: Select all

hbox[class^="autocomplete-textbox-container"] {
   -moz-box-direction: reverse !important;
}

That will reorder the elements with 2 caveats.
1) The site favicon will also be moved to the right.
2) The beginning of the displayed URL will always snap to the end of the connection status text. In other words, as the status text becomes longer and shorter, the URL text will move left and right with it. It appears normally as long as there is no connection status displayed (i.e. when status is "Done").
However, you [mesonofgib] wanted to hide the URL in the mean time as well, so the second part would be meaningless in that case, and it actually becomes MUCH easier to do and doesn't even involve reordering elements like zeniko was trying to do it all. ;)
To do THAT, this is what you need:

#urlbar:not([progress="100"]) .textbox-input-box,
#urlbar:not([progress="100"]) .textbox-stack {
   display: none !important;
}

However, that one still makes the site favicon appear on the right, except only when the connection status is not displayed at the time, for whatever reason. Actually, there is no reason at all why it should do that in this case (in the first case it definitely should have). It's reordering elements which there is nothing that should be reordering them. Looks like a Firefox bug to me. Anyone with Minefield currently installed (I had to remove mine the other day for certain reasons) want to test and see if it still does that there?

P.S. The somewhat unorthodox way I wrote the first one was just to ensure it works both with and without Locationbar² enabled (did the same for the 2nd one as well).

Edit: Well, Firefox bugs aside, here's another way to do it which doesn't have that problem.

#urlbar:not([progress="100"]) .textbox-input-box,
#urlbar:not([progress="100"]) .textbox-stack {
   max-width: 0 !important;
}
Old Dawudd

Post by Old Dawudd »

In the spirit of replacing the status bar, I have two enhancement ideas:
  1. Have the text colour for links in the location bar be different, so as to differentiate them from the current URL. More specifically, the link should inherit the system colours for unvisited and visited links, depending on visited status. Is there a way to do something like this currently?
  2. Similarly, <code>#fission-status</code> should have a different colour by default.
Thanks.
Old Dawudd

Post by Old Dawudd »

There’s also a bug with the “Address Bar Features”. They are not disabled when the address bar has focus. Thus, the connection status still appears while editing URLs, often obscuring the text being edited. (I’ve managed to work around this with a small userChrome.js snippet.) More importantly, if one is typing and accidentally moves the cursor over a link, the address bar text is reset and one’s work is lost.

I would not, however, fully disable links in the address bar when focused. The current behaviour has the useful property that one can quickly “copy & paste” a link into the address bar simply by hovering over the link and pressing <kbd>Ctrl+L</kbd>. Thus, focusing the address bar should leave whatever text is currently displayed there but disable the active link feature (and reset the displayed favicon).

I would also like to point out this useful style: <a href="http://userstyles.org/styles/3615">Native-looking progress meter for Fission ext</a>. Having this as the default progress bar appearance would be great.

Thanks for all your hard work.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Dawudd wrote:Have the text colour for links in the location bar be different, so as to differentiate them from the current URL. ... Is there a way to do something like this currently?

That's AFAICT currently not possible. See the first post for how to change that color independently of the URL's visited status. I won't change that color per default, though, as it's pretty much impossible to find an appropriate color which will work in all circumstances (considering that the address bar is styled following OS settings which only leaves you with two colors guaranteed to work: "text" and "disabled text" where the latter can be slightly difficult to read).

Dawudd wrote:Similarly, <code>#fission-status</code> should have a different colour by default.

Same issue as above: which color would work in all circumstances?

Dawudd wrote:They are not disabled when the address bar has focus.

I'll think about whether that might make sense. What's wrong with hitting Esc/Stop first, though?

Dawudd wrote:if one is typing and accidentally moves the cursor over a link, the address bar text is reset and one’s work is lost.

See this post for a userChrome.js snippet to work around this issue. Unfortunately Firefox still has a bug where that fix occasionally breaks the feature altogether (i.e. the address bar doesn't release the focus although the focus has moved on) which is why I've not yet included that snippet into a release.

Dawudd wrote:<a href="http://userstyles.org/styles/3615">Native-looking progress meter for Fission ext</a>

While that one might look nice on Windows Vista with Aero, it doesn't on Windows XP with Luna and probably on most other platforms, either.
Old Dawudd

Post by Old Dawudd »

zeniko wrote:That's AFAICT currently not possible. See the first post for how to change that color independently of the URL's visited status. I won't change that color per default, though, as it's pretty much impossible to find an appropriate color which will work in all circumstances (considering that the address bar is styled following OS settings which only leaves you with two colors guaranteed to work: "text" and "disabled text" where the latter can be slightly difficult to read).

zeniko wrote:Same issue as above: which color would work in all circumstances?

I’m not sure I understand. Are you saying that it’s impossible to use whatever colours Firefox uses for visited and unvisited links, or that the progress bar background might make that text difficult to read? If it’s just the latter, the ability to style visited and unvisited links in the address bar differently would still be a nice touch, even if not visible by default.

As for status messages, I don’t think the colour particularly matters, but, given the possible conflict with the progress bar, you’re right for leaving their styling alone by default.

zeniko wrote:I'll think about whether that might make sense. What's wrong with hitting Esc/Stop first, though?

There are several problems. First, it shouldn’t be necessary. Second, stopping the page from loading results in the ‘Stopped’ status message, so the problem persists. One could work around with CSS by hiding that particular message, but I would prefer not to do so, as it’s actually useful. Third, this will stop the page from loading, which is not desirable if I’m planning on opening up the edited address bar text in a new tab, or running a piece of JavaScript code in the current tab. I current work around this problem with <code>addEventListener </code>on the address bar, but I think this should really be the normal behaviour.

zeniko wrote:See this post for a userChrome.js snippet to work around this issue. Unfortunately Firefox still has a bug where that fix occasionally breaks the feature altogether (i.e. the address bar doesn't release the focus although the focus has moved on) which is why I've not yet included that snippet into a release.

I’m shocked I missed this! Thank you. Is the bug you mentioned filed in Bugzilla?

zeniko wrote:While that one might look nice on Windows Vista with Aero, it doesn't on Windows XP with Luna and probably on most other platforms, either.

It looks beautiful on my XP theme, but I understand that other themes might conflict with the readability of the text. Nonetheless, I think a native look is always preferable when possible, and adding it to the Progress Bar appearance options would be useful.

Well, you’ve resolved the biggest issues that I had. Thank you. :)
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Dawudd wrote:Are you saying that it’s impossible to use whatever colours Firefox uses for visited and unvisited links

The colors Firefox uses are defined for Firefox only and usually presuppose a white background (see Tools -> Options -> Content -> Colors) which may not be compatible with the colors used for text fields by the operating system. Although it works in many cases (doesn't look too beautiful, though), I currently don't want to worry about the case where it doesn't.

Dawudd wrote:There are several problems. First, it shouldn’t be necessary.

I agree. I'll fix this as soon as Firefox's focus issues have been resolved.

Dawudd wrote:Is the bug you mentioned filed in Bugzilla?

I don't know. Since it only happens sporadically and isn't thus reliably reproduceable, I've never really bothered.

Dawudd wrote:I think a native look is always preferable when possible

Sure, but in this case the look isn't that native, either, just more native-ish. ;) Anyway, I'll do some experiments WRT text readability and looks before considering making this a CSS-free option.
Old Dawudd

Re: Bug/Feature Request: no mouse-over link when ...

Post by Old Dawudd »

zeniko wrote:

(function() {
   eval("Fission.setOverLink = " + Fission.setOverLink.toString().replace(/{/, "$& if (this._unlinkified) return this.mLinkified ? '' : aLink;"));
   function unlinkify(aEvent) { Fission._unlinkified = aEvent.type == "focus"; }
   gURLBar.addEventListener("focus", unlinkify, true);
   gURLBar.addEventListener("blur", unlinkify, true);
})();

Hmm. This seems to work for me. If I create a second window, however, it does not work on that window. Strangely, on a clean profile, I can’t manage to get this to work at all. This is for version .8 of userChrome.js. It works just fine with .7.

Update: Replacing <code>gURLBar</code> with <code>document.getElementById("urlbar")</code> fixes the issue. I have no idea why.