[Ext] Update Notifier 0.1.5.5 - Get Extension/Theme updates

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Alan Baxter

Re: [Ext] Update Notifier 0.1.5.4 - Get Extension/Theme updates

Post by Alan Baxter »

metterheck wrote:I wonder when the Update Notifier settings are written to the prefs file.

When Thunderbird is exited by hand. Get in the habit of doing that before shutting down your system.
metterheck

Post by metterheck »

Alan Baxter wrote:
metterheck wrote:I wonder when the Update Notifier settings are written to the prefs file.

When Thunderbird is exited by hand. Get in the habit of doing that before shutting down your system.

Well, once you know the problem, this is the obvious fix.

But I think this is not the behavior the user would expect. When he/she changes a setting and closes the dialog, the changes should be saved. It shouldn't depend on how the application is terminated in the distant future whether setting changes are saved or not.
metterheck

Post by metterheck »

Is there a way to configure UN to handle updates differently depending on whether they were found at startup or during normal operations?

When an update is found during startup, I would like to have it installed and the aplication restarted (if necessary) automatically. Rationale: Thunderbird and Firefox are startup applications on my system. I turn it on a couple of minutes before I want to start working and when I get back to the computer, it should be ready for work.

On the other hand, I would still like to have the option whether to restart the application after an update has been installed during the day. Rationale: I might not want to loose time and/or state while I work on the computer.

Thanks, metterheck
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

metterheck wrote:But I think this is not the behavior the user would expect. When he/she changes a setting and closes the dialog, the changes should be saved. It shouldn't depend on how the application is terminated in the distant future whether setting changes are saved or not.

I agree, but it looks like the developer is concentrating on other projects now. There haven't been any UI changes in almost two years.
makondo

Post by makondo »

It's never a good idea to 'auto' update anything - when problems arise (and they do), you might be not able to figure what and when has changed. Forums are full of people chasing that goose, trust me. But suit yourself, of course, just sharing my opinion.
magnoliasouth

Suggestion

Post by magnoliasouth »

I would really love it if there could be a setting which would allow the skipping the check for updates on disabled addons. I understand that I can elect NOT to download it, but the notice is always there when a new one becomes available and I'd prefer not to get that notice since those are disabled.

You see there are a few addons which I rarely use, but I keep them installed because I do use them... eventually. My eye is trained to check the icon and I'll often restart when a new one is downloaded. It's just that now the icon is useless since it's telling me one is available that I don't want.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Anyway, I really do love this addon and is one of the first I ever install on a clean Firefox. :D
splintor

Re: Suggestion

Post by splintor »

magnoliasouth wrote:I would really love it if there could be a setting which would allow the skipping the check for updates on disabled addons. I understand that I can elect NOT to download it, but the notice is always there when a new one becomes available and I'd prefer not to get that notice since those are disabled.

I'd like that as well.
Another option is that the tooltip that lists the updated addons would tell me which addons are currently disabled.
makondo

Post by makondo »

MR Tech Toolkit has it - Rclick an ext. and click Disable update check (but i'm not sure if it'll work with Update notifier as i've never tried it).
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

makondo wrote:MR Tech Toolkit has it - Rclick an ext. and click Disable update check (but i'm not sure if it'll work with Update notifier as i've never tried it).

I've used it that way. It disabled the update checks for Update Notifier too. :D

magnoliasouth wrote:You see there are a few addons which I rarely use, but I keep them installed because I do use them... eventually

Me too, but I let most of them update. I like to have them all ready to go when needed. It sounds like disabling the update checks might be more your cup of tea.
xavierk

Post by xavierk »

Will you be adding support for Thunderbird 3 soon as it is in beta 2 already.

Thank you,

x
knifey

Post by knifey »

It's funny, all i wanted was an addon to supress the addon screen from popping up every time an addon is updated. so from what i can see this is a failure at making firefox.. well.. less annoying.

does this script have checkbox's that effect the following values in order to make it update silently?

app.update.mode = 1
app.update.silent = true

if you could do that, much appreciated.
Mad Platypus

Post by Mad Platypus »

Can you add an option to the drop-down menu for "see new updates?" I like to read the information on each one before I install them.

Otherwise, outstanding app!
the13thzen

Post by the13thzen »

Update for 3.1b3! :D
ironia

Post by ironia »

i have i big problem....
i'm unable to receive the update notifier icon on the top right of firefox

already tried to reinstall the ext and reset the preferences..but nothing

when i right click on the up bar and select 'customize..' i can't view the 'update notifier icon ...

any suggestion?

many tnx
gmhyman

Post by gmhyman »

Update notifier works great. Will there be versions for Firefox 3.5 and/or Thunderbird 3?