[Ext] Update Notifier 0.1.5.5 - Get Extension/Theme updates

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
keithy397

Re: [Ext] Update Notifier 0.1.5.4 - Get Extension/Theme updates

Post by keithy397 »

gmhyman wrote:Will there be versions for Firefox 3.5 and/or Thunderbird 3?

Hi,

Update Notifier does work with Firefox 3.5 and 3.6, I'm using it. The reason you can't install it, is probably because it has been released by the author and/or AMO to work up to a particular version of Firefox, usually the most recent release. By changing that setting you can indeed get it to work, it's called 'bumping' the extension.

There are reasons for the restrictions though, most probably that the extension hasn't been tested over it's current limit. Also, there are no guarantees that bumping extensions will actually make them work in newer versions of Firefox as the dev's are always renewing and changing source code. You could of course wait for the updated version to be released which should be around the time of the release of the newer version of Firefox.

Anyway, below is a link for a version that will work in Firefox 3.5. It should be OK in Thunderbird too, unless they've made changes. I've no idea cos I don't use it.

Click on the link to get the download. (Use the newer version)

Enjoy.

Update Notifier 0.1.5.4
Last edited by keithy397 on July 1st, 2009, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Keith
gmhyman

Post by gmhyman »

Much thanks - this works fine, both on firefox 3.5 and thunderbird 3.0 (shredder for now).
bruno_04

Post by bruno_04 »

Update Notifier 0.1.5.4 do not work here with the latest FireFox 3.5 (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; fr; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090624 Firefox/3.5)
ANIMI LIMINA [The limit off soul] Telepopmusik on[√]• 1 MBP 2.5GHz Alu (Last 2008) 15"/4 Go/512 Vram/250 Go • 1 MBP 2.66 GHz (Unibody) 15"/4Go/512/320 Go •Mac OS X.6.1 \ Camino4Ever ®©™
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

bruno_04 wrote:Update Notifier 0.1.5.4 do not work here with the latest FireFox 3.5 (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; fr; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090624 Firefox/3.5)

Could it be a Mac thing? I'm using it and 200+ people have downloaded it from the link I gave for the 'bumped' version. Try the newer version I've put there bruno.
Cheers,
Keith
bruno_04

Post by bruno_04 »

Thanks keithy397
But i cannot find it on: http://www.filefront.com/user/keithy397

I think the link is dead now...

Do you have pleaze another link ?
ANIMI LIMINA [The limit off soul] Telepopmusik on[√]• 1 MBP 2.5GHz Alu (Last 2008) 15"/4 Go/512 Vram/250 Go • 1 MBP 2.66 GHz (Unibody) 15"/4Go/512/320 Go •Mac OS X.6.1 \ Camino4Ever ®©™
gmhyman

Post by gmhyman »

FileFront seems to be a little difficult to get working. Here's how I got to the link:
1. create an account (free), then sign in.
2. close the window/tab
3. try the link again

I guess it needs the cookies associated with login in place for the link to work

good luck.

The direct link to the file is http://www.filefront.com/13949768/updat ... xtbsb.xpi/
but I doubt that will work until you get the login stuff in place.
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Sorry about the other link bruno. I had no idea you had to join to get a download, what a pain!

Anyway, the link below is from a web host I use a lot so hopefully you'll have no prob's.

http://www.box.net/shared/2txgzt3psn
Cheers,
Keith
hellyea

Post by hellyea »

What good is this extension if Firefox already notifies you of the updates??
Ngamer01

Post by Ngamer01 »

hellyea wrote:What good is this extension if Firefox already notifies you of the updates??

1) It has a toolbar icon that gives you a visual cue of whether extension, theme, or both extension and theme updates are available.

2) You can check for both extension and theme updates at the same time.

3) You can set it to check for extension and theme updates when Firefox starts and how often to check for updates when Firefox is active.

4) You can ask for a prompt when installing a new add-on or new add-on update that asks you if you want to restart Firefox now or later to finish installation.

5) You can set it to automatically download and install new extension and theme updates if you don't want to do #4 above. Firefox will be automatically rebooted.

6) In case of no updates being available to your installed extensions and themes, you can have a gray toolbar icon shown that visually shows you that you have no updates available.

7) If you don't like the toolbar icon, you can have the icon wherever you want in the Status Bar instead.

8) You can receive alert notifications of new extension and theme updates if you want.

9) There are quick links to either the Add-ons Window, the Extensions part of the Add-ons Window, and the Themes part of the Add-ons Window. What appears depends on what updates are available -- if any.

10) If any updates are available, they'll be listed in the toolbar icon's drop-down if you don't want automatic notification of updates or somehow missed them. You can then install everything or just whatever you want and opt to get the other updates later.
bruno_04

Post by bruno_04 »

keithy397 wrote:Sorry about the other link bruno. I had no idea you had to join to get a download, what a pain!

Anyway, the link below is from a web host I use a lot so hopefully you'll have no prob's.

Many Thanks gmhyman, Thanks keithy, i got the file :)

Can i ask you how i install these files, folders, in Fire fox MAC ?

chrome
chrome.manifest
components
defaults
install.rdf
license.txt

This do not work on my Mac ...

When i drop the folder on the extensions window i get this message :

Code: Select all

Firefox could not install the file at

file: / / / Users/bruno/Downloads/update_notifier-0.1.5.4-fx + tb + sb.xpi.zip% 20Folder/chrome/updatenotifier.jar

reason: Script Installation not found
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

bruno_04 wrote:Can i ask you how i install these files, folders, in Fire fox MAC ?

chrome
chrome.manifest
components
defaults
install.rdf
license.txt

This do not work on my Mac ...

When i drop the folder on the extensions window i get this message :

Code: Select all

Firefox could not install the file at

file: / / / Users/bruno/Downloads/update_notifier-0.1.5.4-fx + tb + sb.xpi.zip% 20Folder/chrome/updatenotifier.jar

reason: Script Installation not found

When you download the file from the web-host bruno, you get it in a zipped format but with the .xpi extension. So, your download should produce just 1 file. You don't need to extract files from it, just drop the 'Update_Notifier.xpi' file onto an open Firefox page or the extension manager. It will then extract the files within the .xpi automatically as part of the installation.procedure
Cheers,
Keith
bruno_04

Post by bruno_04 »

Many thanks keithy for your help !

It work \:D/
WHRoeder

Post by WHRoeder »

keithy397 wrote:Sorry about the other link bruno. I had no idea you had to join to get a download, what a pain!

Actually the Original link is now working without a login.
WHRoeder

Post by WHRoeder »

FYI: After installing and restarting FF3.5, I still didn't have the toolbar icon. View -> Toolbars -> Customize and drag the entry where you want it.
makondo

Post by makondo »

You may have to set options to show it first (UN options > Toolbar > Display ...).