[Ext] Update Notifier 0.1.5.5 - Get Extension/Theme updates

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
tmlong

Post by tmlong »

I will be releasing a new version shortly that uses the throbber icon from Firefox for when the extension is either checking/downloading/installing updates. Also, this release will resolve some other issues.

Perhaps in the next version I could incorporate some sort of "black list" that allows you to block certain extensions from getting updated? Maybe add this list to the Options window were you can mark an extension to not be including when performing "Install updates". Also, I will work on the extension not hanging if there is an invalid file (I haven't had time to test this yet). Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

- TL
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy menet,

mtli has a "disable update check" for each extension & theme. lookee ...
- MR Tech Local Install 4.6.1
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/421/

take care,
lee
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

menet wrote:I don't want to update one of my extension 8-)

:arrow: Is there a way to not have Update Notifier looking for update for this extension ? :?:

I think that there is no standard way to have that, without modifying the extension. :twisted:

:arrow: Is it possible to include something in Update Notifier to have this function to disable the search for extensions that we want not update ? :?:

I have no reply to my previous entry :cry:

Best regards :wink:

In about:config, set extensions.[GUID].update.enabled to false.
Also, MR Tech Local Install will control that same pref by right-clicking extensions or themes in the EM/TM and clicking Disable Update Check.
Edit: Ah, Lee beat me to half of it. Well, half of half of it.
Edit2: WTF, the wrong quote got in there....
Last edited by XerBlade on April 6th, 2006, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps
menet

Post by menet »

Thanks for your reply, i had not seen this option before; :oops: I have MTLI 4.61 already installed. :-&

Note tha after using the function of MTLI to "invalidate the test for update" for the extension where there is the button for doing the update; I have now the icon of Update Notifier which is orange saying something like : You must restart to finish the installation !!! #-o
It is a bug ? :-k

Thanks again :wink:
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy menet,

it seems you need to disable the update check BEFORE ff finds an update for that ext. [*grin*] otherwise ff has that "update available" info and keeps on nattering at you about it.

take care,
lee
Chris313AllNight

Post by Chris313AllNight »

menet wrote:I don't want to update one of my extension 8-)

:arrow: Is there a way to not have Update Notifier looking for update for this extension ? :?:

I think that there is no standard way to have that, without modifying the extension. :twisted:

:arrow: Is it possible to include something in Update Notifier to have this function to disable the search for extensions that we want not update ? :?:

I have no reply to my previous entry :cry:

Best regards :wink:

Why don't you try the latest version of Mr Tech Local Install @ https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/421/ It included a extension update disable feature.
Morac

Post by Morac »

Your extension seems to be triggering Bug 331276 in Firefox.

My own extension triggered it until I removed a document.getElementById("content") that was executing on browser startup. It also seems to depend on interaction between extensions since Tab Mix Plus combined with my extension causes the bug to occur.

You might want to look into putting in a work around.
tmlong

Post by tmlong »

Morac wrote:Your extension seems to be triggering Bug 331276 in Firefox.

My own extension triggered it until I removed a document.getElementById("content") that was executing on browser startup. It also seems to depend on interaction between extensions since Tab Mix Plus combined with my extension causes the bug to occur.

You might want to look into putting in a work around.

I'm not able to trigger this bug and am running Firefox 1.5.0.1. The only place in my code that I call getElementById("content") is when you select "Visit Homepage..." (I'm pretty sure). Until I'm able to reproduce this bug I can't confirm that it is my extension causing it (or where in my extension). The form data on my system is saved fine, so I'm not sure what is causing it. I'll keep an eye out but for now I wouldn't know where to put a "work around." Thanks.

- TL
-Fux-

Post by -Fux- »

I was testing the new version from babelzilla and it seems, the Bug is gone...

Thanks,
Fux
Feierfox

Post by Feierfox »

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... r&start=60

Post 08.03.(!!!) DeckMan ff.

When does the author understand finally that by its extension this Bug is caused? Either total Ignoranz or little notion of which it makes.
tmlong

Post by tmlong »

_Andy_ wrote:When does the author understand finally that by its extension this Bug is caused? Either total Ignoranz or little notion of which it makes.

It isn't affecting me, so obviously there are other factors involved that are causing the bug (not just this extension). Still haven't been able to tell me where this bug is getting triggered. So, I didn't confirm the bug then and haven't now.

- TL
Branstrom

Post by Branstrom »

makondo wrote:Branstrom,
do you have mrtech Local Instal extension? - it has restart buttons in the main window and ext/themes windows. I do understand you'd like to get rid off of an extension not to add one but if you'd check the list of extensions that can be eliminated by installing LocalInstall, you just may want to try it, it's a great extension, a must have. BTW, it works fine with Update Notifier.

I don't want to use another extension. That was the point of what I said. :) I want to use this one only, because I want to minimize the number of extensions I have, to limit the XUL overlays etc, and still have the functionality I need, i.e. restarting Firefox, and checking for updates. If I can have them both in one extension, that's great. I don't understand why the option needs to be disabled at all times except when you've installed or updated an extension. The need to restart can arise in other situations as well.
tmlong

Post by tmlong »

Hey Branstrom, you are right about the "Restart" option. For the next release (0.1.3) I will have it always enabled. Though whenever new extensions/themes are installed it will prompt you to restart as well. I will hopefully have this out shortly, just as soon as the translations are completed. Thanks.

- TL
Feierfox

Post by Feierfox »

But with 0.1.3 the Bug is with this extension away!
AIOS and MTLI have the Bug still.
_Andy_
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

Branstrom,
whatever you do is fine with me. The reason i've mentioned LI is because it replaces over 30 extensions and if you'd have any of them installed, it would make sense to replace it with LI and get the restart functionality you're looking for as a bonus! Again, i have no problems with both extensions installed. Good Luck!