[Ext] Update Notifier 0.1.5.5 - Get Extension/Theme updates

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
menet

Re: [Ext] Update Notifier 0.1.5.4 - Get Extension/Theme updates

Post by menet »

RonBos wrote:This is a great extension, but I still have one feature request :)

It would be nice when, in addition to the "Install all updates" option,
an option to "Download all updates" would be available.

+1 :roll:

Regards :wink:
makondo

Post by makondo »

+1 ... since the Toolkit doesn't do this any longer.
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

menet wrote:
RonBos wrote:This is a great extension, but I still have one feature request :)

It would be nice when, in addition to the "Install all updates" option,
an option to "Download all updates" would be available.

+1 :roll:

Regards :wink:

makondo wrote:+1 ... since the Toolkit doesn't do this any longer.

+1 ...I agree, I miss this function.
Cheers,
Keith
fcaldwell3

[Ext] Update Notifier 0.1.5.4 - Notifications

Post by fcaldwell3 »

In the Update Notifier Options for Notifications, if you deselect the option under Alerts for Displau alert notification for new updates.

When a new extension is installed, or updates to an existing extension is installedl, the Update Notifier will let you know what has been installed.

You are then prompted of you "Would like to restart Firefox at this time?"
I deselected the option for Please don't ask again.

If you select Cancel, you should be Canceling the option to restart Firefox.
However, no matter what you install next, the option box is selected again, and it should not be.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

fcaldwell3
I merged your post to the general support post maintained by the author of this extension.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
fatspirit

Post by fatspirit »

I cannot get Update Notifier icon back the way that was written here... There's no such icon in Customize "menu". I was able only to have it at the bottom. All this has happened with 0.1.5.4 on FF 3.0.5 under Vista. Everything is fine at the same time under XP.
akahige

Post by akahige »

I'm running Update Notifier 01.5.4 on FF 3.0.5 on Ubuntu Intrepid, and I noticed something that I think might be a bug. When updates have been installed, but Firefox has not been restarted (sometimes I let it sit there, if the installed updates aren't critical) Update Notifier doesn't seem to check for new updates. Anyone see this?

Also have a question / feature request: would it be possible for Update Notifier to check the status of experimental addons?
Ngamer01

Post by Ngamer01 »

Sorry, akahige, but your feature request is a no go. AMO doesn't allow experimental add-ons to be checked for updates. Read on:

Bug 375359 – Allow sandbox add-ons to get updates [RESOLVED WONTFIX]

This means Update Notifier (or Firefox's built-in update checker) will never be notified of any updated add-ons in the sandbox.
riowong

Post by riowong »

May I have a suggestion? I found that once I ignore the update notification of FF for FF's update, it won't come out again. If I didn't download manually from FF site at once, I won't remember to do it again later. I'd also experienced that I didn't see the FF update notification due to not sitting before the pc. I know it's not done by Update Notifier. Could you pls add FF update checking so that Update Notifier would be more powerful?
akahige

Post by akahige »

Ngamer01 wrote:Sorry, akahige, but your feature request is a no go. AMO doesn't allow experimental add-ons to be checked for updates. Read on:

Bug 375359 – Allow sandbox add-ons to get updates [RESOLVED WONTFIX]

This means Update Notifier (or Firefox's built-in update checker) will never be notified of any updated add-ons in the sandbox.

I suspected as much, but it was worth asking about.

This is somewhat problematic, though, since extensions that were installed from the sandbox can get dangerously out of date. Is there any way to determine (internal flag maybe?) which extensions have been installed from the sandbox? At least this would simplify the process of checking for updates -- but when you have 40 extensions, it's hard to remember which ones of them came from the sandbox and which ones didn't. There has got to be a better way to keep track of this than noting them in a text file...
Ngamer01

Post by Ngamer01 »

Sorry, but there is no other way to keep up with updated experimental add-ons because Mozilla doesn't want to be held liable in case an experimental add-on broke your system. This is why AMO requires a login to access experimental add-ons. Logging in tells Mozilla that you understand the risks of experimental add-ons and that you forfeit all rights to sue Mozilla for any damage to your system you take from experimental add-ons.

If you like to discuss this matter further, I'm open to PM or you can make a discussion thread about this matter elsewhere as this thread isn't the place to talk about AMO or it's policies.
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

To politely pursue a previous point.

Is there any possibility to include a download/archive function of an extension or theme whilst updating?
Cheers,
Keith
metterheck

Loosing UN settings in Thunderbird

Post by metterheck »

Hi,

I recently installed Updated Notifier 0.1.5.4 in Firefox 3.0.6 and Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 on Windows 2000 SP4. Thanks for this add-on!

While everything worked fine in Firefox, I noticed that my changes to the settings of Update Notifier in Thunderbird were lost whenever I restarted my computer. It seemed that the settings were reverted back to their defaults.

It was not until I had changed the settings (again) and exited Thunderbird by hand, that the changes sticked. It seems to me that terminating Thunderbird in the process of shutting down the system does erase changes to the settings while exiting the program by hand does not.

Is this a) my fault, b) a problem with Update Notifier, c) a problem with Thunderbird, d) some unknown problem, or e) the end of the world :-)

Thanks in advance,
metterheck
Ngamer01

Post by Ngamer01 »

Have you looked at this, metter? -> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Preferences_not_saved

While that article was written for mainly Firefox users, some of it may apply to Thunderbird (though I wouldn't know what exactly). At most you may want to look up the matter on SUMO (support.mozilla.com).
metterheck

Post by metterheck »

Thanks for the link, Ngamer01

As far as I can tell, my prefs.js is in good shape and not locked. But of course, that's just an educated guess. It might be interesting to compare its present contents to its contents a couple of days ago, when Update Notifier was installed but its settings were not saved. Unfortenately, I don't do daily backups.

I wonder when the Update Notifier settings are written to the prefs file. Immediately after the extension's settings dialog is closed by the user? Or may be later (or never :-)) when Thunderbird thinks its the proper time?

I had a look at the error console. Aren't there any time stamps?