[Ext] Update Notifier 0.1.5.5 - Get Extension/Theme updates

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

I agree with folks above on updates frequency. As RenegateX said, '... I'd suggest: 6hrs, 12hrs, 18hrs, 24hrs, 48hrs, weekly...' All others who just can't wait should know how to do it manually (since they apparently have no other things to do or there's a problem with install/extension).
XerBlade

Re: Indicator for application updates

Post by XerBlade »

wer wrote:Does the extension also look for application updates? If yes, what would the indicator look like? And what would the indicator look like if there were theme and extension updates at the same time?
Wer

No, it doesn't. And anyway, what would be the point in this also notifying of application updates? Firefox already does that by itself, and it's much more obvious than the way this extension does it for extensions and themes. Also, the option to auto-install app updates when they are found is on by default (and is easily disabled from Options>Advanced>Update).
On the extensions and themes at same time... um... wait and see, I guess.
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps
Lost User 200486

Re: Indicator for application updates

Post by Lost User 200486 »

wer wrote:And what would the indicator look like if there were theme and extension updates at the same time?

XerBlade wrote:On the extensions and themes at same time... um... wait and see, I guess.

update extension: blue up arrow
update theme: green up arrow
update extension and theme: both up arrows beside each other

Alf
Lost User 200486

Post by Lost User 200486 »

A lot of suggestions for new features...
I have some to:

1) localization support, please join BabelZilla (www.babelzilla.org). I'll have the Dutch translation ready for you.

2) give the user before installing a (optional) list of all the available updates/themes and allow the user to deselect one of more updates that he doesn't want to install yet, whatever his reasons are.

3) In the en-localization file updatenotifier.dtd I found 2 entries who doesn't appear in the option screen:
opts-notifications
opts-notifications-display
Are they new options to put a message on the screen if there where new updates?

Alf
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy y'all,

feeping creature-itis ... um, er ... i mean "creeping feature-itis" ... [*grin*]

this ext is a nice, narrowly defined one. i like that. it's also one that will NOT be needed anymore when ff and tb get update notification back. it IS going to happen as the patches have been worked on. slowly, but they are getting there.

anyway, adding anything OTHER than ext/theme update notification is going to get iffy. i would even recommend stripping out the "install updates" command. [*grin*] it interferes with the archiving feature of mtli. having a command to open the EM/TM is nice and actually quite straight forward, but the other stuff is "feeping creature-itis".

take care,
lee
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

Lee_Dailey wrote:howdy y'all,

feeping creature-itis ... um, er ... i mean "creeping feature-itis" ... [*grin*]

this ext is a nice, narrowly defined one. i like that. it's also one that will NOT be needed anymore when ff and tb get update notification back. it IS going to happen as the patches have been worked on. slowly, but they are getting there.

anyway, adding anything OTHER than ext/theme update notification is going to get iffy. i would even recommend stripping out the "install updates" command. [*grin*] it interferes with the archiving feature of mtli. having a command to open the EM/TM is nice and actually quite straight forward, but the other stuff is "feeping creature-itis".

take care,
lee

Unfortunately though, Lee, not everyone uses MTLI, no matter how handy it really is. 8-)
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

The Blood Series: BloodFire, BloodFire 3, BloodThunder, BloodSun, & BloodSong
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

Cato62 wrote:

take care,
lee

Unfortunately though, Lee, not everyone uses MTLI, no matter how handy it really is. 8-)

And not everyone who uses MTLI uses archiving.
For example, I don't. Also, not one Firefox user (note that this is basically everyone I ever speak to) I know IRL uses it, when nearly all of them use MTLI.
Also, I use the auto install updates option for my brothers' and one of my friends' computers, so I don't always have to be around to ensure they actually get extension updates, which they never, ever would without me there normally (trust me, I left my friend's computer alone for a while, and it ended up with extremely old versions of basically every extension I'd put on there (very few, basically just some of those really "must-have" types that work totally in the background) and versions of Adblock Plus and Tab Mix Plus so old I couldn't even remember them).
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

XerBlade wrote:And not everyone who uses MTLI uses archiving.
For example, I don't. Also, not one Firefox user (note that this is basically everyone I ever speak to) I know IRL uses it, when nearly all of them use MTLI.
Also, I use the auto install updates option for my brothers' and one of my friends' computers, so I don't always have to be around to ensure they actually get extension updates, which they never, ever would without me there normally (trust me, I left my friend's computer alone for a while, and it ended up with extremely old versions of basically every extension I'd put on there (very few, basically just some of those really "must-have" types that work totally in the background) and versions of Adblock Plus and Tab Mix Plus so old I couldn't even remember them).

True. But it has so many capabilities that, I think, it's a must have extension. I must be one of the lucky ones because I hardly ever have any troubles with it. :)
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

Cato62 wrote:

take care,
lee

howdy Cato62,

the mtli ref was intended to be a "for example" on why i would prefer this "update notifier" ext remain VERY lean. i have complaints about mtli cuz it has things in it that simply don't fit the "local install" concept. like the tbird preview pane stuff ... [*grin*]

my comment is still this ... "please, don't bloat!"

take care,
lee
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

Lee_Dailey wrote:howdy Cato62,

the mtli ref was intended to be a "for example" on why i would prefer this "update notifier" ext remain VERY lean. i have complaints about mtli cuz it has things in it that simply don't fit the "local install" concept. like the tbird preview pane stuff ... [*grin*]

my comment is still this ... "please, don't bloat!"

take care,
lee

I agree "don't bloat". I'm just a huge fan of MTLI. That's all. :)

EDIT:
I forgot to mention I'm using Update Notifier, also.

Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

[*grin*]
DunbarKC

Post by DunbarKC »

Update Notifier 0.1.1 is a NICE extension. Beautiful surprise!!!
tmlong

Post by tmlong »

Thanks for all the comments. I'm working on incorporating these ideas into the next release. I should have it available shortly. Also, I will get this submitted to BabelZilla for translations (so don't worry) =)

- TL
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

Can you please release a version for trunk users? Thanks
Feierfox

Update

Post by Feierfox »

It would be possible that one can update themes and extensions separately and take over then also separated the updates.

... check all update
... checks extensions updates
... check theme updates

... Install all...
... Install extension updates

Reason: I would like not to let Themes update.