[Ext] Update Notifier 0.1.5.5 - Get Extension/Theme updates

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
DeckMan

Post by DeckMan »

supernova_00 wrote:^ Well now that you added it after the fact as a guest.

Let's wait for michebekk, shall we? Maybe his problem is fixed after uninstalling the extension.

supernova_00 wrote:This is a Firefox bug, I don't know which number but seems that some extension tickle the bug or shall we say expose it. Nothing wrong with the extension though.

...but it's fixable, since not all extensions expose it.
Last edited by DeckMan on March 10th, 2006, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

Well ya everything is fixable...thing is you need a simplified test case that reproduces and exposes the problem directly.
Feierfox

Post by Feierfox »

Completely simply.... new Firefox 1.5.0.1 + only UN 0.1.2 install = Bug
Deinstall = in order

I made the test.

It exclusively concerns new form data. The old data remain.
jj44

Post by jj44 »

I am also finding this form behavior with 0.1.2. It has happened to me with other extensions in the past, notably Tab Mix Plus. It was happening for a while but was eventually fixed. TMLong, maybe you could contact CPU and see if he has any ideas?

And to everyone else, can you cool it? Yes, it's a firefox bug, and yes, extensions trigger it. Everybody is right so please stop getting snippy at the author of this great extension.
Fx|3.1b2 -- OS|Win 7 Build 7000
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

_Andy_ wrote:Completely simply.... new Firefox 1.5.0.1 + only UN 0.1.2 install = Bug
Deinstall = in order

I made the test.

It exclusively concerns new form data. The old data remain.

That is not a test. A simplied test means finding out exactly which code exposes the bug. Not a whole freakin extension full of code. Probably hundreds of lines in there...since you say you made the test, which exact function or command in UN exposed the firefox bug?
Feierfox

Post by Feierfox »

Sorry, I wrongly understood (I`m German and my English is bad...)
That should make the author.
But which the cause should be, if only UN is installed and it functions without UN?
Last edited by Feierfox on March 10th, 2006, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phrawm48

The abilty to download rather than install .xpi updates?

Post by Phrawm48 »

My strategy for managing extensions and updates is to download the .xpi file to my local disk, then install the extension or update from there. I thus build a library of "known good" extensions so that I can more easily create or rebuild profiles.

Stated another way, I almost never accept extension updates directly from the network.

I mention this because I think it would be extremely handy for some extension (perhaps update notifier?) to permit downloading of updated .xpi files for subsequent installation from disc rather than installing them directly. Perhaps the downloads could be placed in a time-stamped directory / folder?

Cheers & thanks,
Riley
San Francisco
Phrawm48

Post by Phrawm48 »

Another very small suggestion:

In Update Notifier's Help tab, would it be useful to add the current version number?

Cheers & thanks,

Riley
SFO
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Phrawm48: tonight's release v4.2.6 of my Local Install extension (should be available on UMO later tonight) now handles auto-archiving of installs done by Update Notifier if Auto Archiving is enabled in the settings, enjoy.
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
jayster46

Post by jayster46 »

Sunbird support would be a beautiful thing.
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

tmlong: How come you have not made the extension's maxVersion 1.6 so that it will install easily on trunk builds? AMO excepts extensions with maxVersion of 1.6. Will get this out to more people.
tmlong

Post by tmlong »

mrtech wrote:Phrawm48: tonight's release v4.2.6 of my Local Install extension (should be available on UMO later tonight) now handles auto-archiving of installs done by Update Notifier if Auto Archiving is enabled in the settings, enjoy.

That is awesome to hear. Thanks for letting me know. Will definitely make those happy who would like to use both.

jayster46 wrote:Sunbird support would be a beautiful thing.

I will look into that. Thanks for the heads up about it.

supernova_00 wrote:tmlong: How come you have not made the extension's maxVersion 1.6 so that it will install easily on trunk builds? AMO excepts extensions with maxVersion of 1.6. Will get this out to more people.

I will probably go ahead and do that for the next release. The reason I haven't done that already is because of the constant changes with the nightly builds. Thanks.

- TL
kevin1979

Post by kevin1979 »

I've been having a problem ever since the latest version update. It'll tell me I have two extension updates to download...I'll install them all through the menu, then it'll ask me to restart, and I will. However when Firefox restarts the extension still tells me those same updates are available for download. I'll even go through the extension menu and manually click Install for the extensions, and restart Firefox manually, and they aren't installed.

This has only started with the latest update to Update Notifier. I tried uninstalling Update Notifier and it won't even let me do that! Please help me, it feels like my Firefox profile has been taken hostage.
tmlong

Post by tmlong »

thericochet wrote:This has only started with the latest update to Update Notifier. I tried uninstalling Update Notifier and it won't even let me do that! Please help me, it feels like my Firefox profile has been taken hostage.

It is not the extension. Sounds like the installation is not performing right. Maybe you had some old installs that weren't properly cleaned up by Firefox or something to that affect. Sometimes the extension manager with Firefox gets a little weirded out. I would recommend going to your profile's extension folder and deleting the "staged-xpis" folder. Sounds like something is causing issues. Let me know if that works. Thanks.

- TL
Chris313AllNight

Post by Chris313AllNight »

tmlong wrote:
thericochet wrote:This has only started with the latest update to Update Notifier. I tried uninstalling Update Notifier and it won't even let me do that! Please help me, it feels like my Firefox profile has been taken hostage.

It is not the extension. Sounds like the installation is not performing right. Maybe you had some old installs that weren't properly cleaned up by Firefox or something to that affect. Sometimes the extension manager with Firefox gets a little weirded out. I would recommend going to your profile's extension folder and deleting the "staged-xpis" folder. Sounds like something is causing issues. Let me know if that works. Thanks.

- TL

I had the same problem. I was able to fix it by uninstalling your extention, restarting, the extensions installed and reinstalled your extension.

After that, there were other updates that were installed flawlessly with your extension installed.