[Ext] Update Notifier 0.1.5.5 - Get Extension/Theme updates

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

tmlong wrote:
thericochet wrote:This has only started with the latest update to Update Notifier. I tried uninstalling Update Notifier and it won't even let me do that! Please help me, it feels like my Firefox profile has been taken hostage.

It is not the extension. Sounds like the installation is not performing right. Maybe you had some old installs that weren't properly cleaned up by Firefox or something to that affect. Sometimes the extension manager with Firefox gets a little weirded out. I would recommend going to your profile's extension folder and deleting the "staged-xpis" folder. Sounds like something is causing issues. Let me know if that works. Thanks.

- TL

-edit
it seems i was over-eager. [*sigh ...*] the prob goes away when i disable un012. however, it does NOT appear in a clean profile. i seem to have a glitch in both my ff and my tb profiles. grrrrr ... time to start testing things.
lee-

howdy tmlong,

well, _i_ have the problem too!

i thot it was a recent thing in mtli, but i was wrong. after reading the last few posts in this thread, i tested by disabling YOUR ext and all works correctly. lookee ...
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 52#2142152

interestingly, it works the _3rd_ time i run the install. [*grin*]

the 1st time dls the file. the 2nd time seems to do nothing at all. the 3rd time installs.

this occurs with tb150 and ff1501

take care,
lee
anon42

Post by anon42 »

tmlong wrote:
mrtech wrote:Phrawm48: tonight's release v4.2.6 of my Local Install extension (should be available on UMO later tonight) now handles auto-archiving of installs done by Update Notifier if Auto Archiving is enabled in the settings, enjoy.

That is awesome to hear. Thanks for letting me know. Will definitely make those happy who would like to use both.

I use both but I'm not too happy [take this reply with a :-)]. I can confirm that MLI 4.2.6 in combination with UN 0.1.2 does indeed install and auto-archive the xpi's. But I've turned off the auto-install on UN. The reason is that I keep a close eye on the extension updates I have and like to know which extensions have been updated so I can track what has been changed. This is not as easy with the auto-install.

I don't know whether MLI or UN could do anything about this, nor do I have a good suggestion as to what could be done to address this, nor do I suggest who's responsibility it would be to do anything in the first place. I'm only pointing out what I don't like about the auto-install.

So I let UN tell me there's updates available and then explictly go into the EM to check for those updates so that I can see the update button(s) on each extension that needs updating. I then quickly know what is changing.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:48.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/48.0
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

anon42 wrote:But I've turned off the auto-install on UN. The reason is that I keep a close eye on the extension updates I have and like to know which extensions have been updated so I can track what has been changed. This is not as easy with the auto-install.

Try displaying the archive directory sorted by date. The extensions that were automatically installed by UN and archived by MTLI should be the most recent.
anon42 wrote:So I let UN tell me there's updates available and then explictly go into the EM to check for those updates so that I can see the update button(s) on each extension that needs updating. I then quickly know what is changing.

That's what I do. I want complete control over what gets updated and when. I also archive a copy of my profile before each extension update. It's saved me a lot of grief in the long run.
--
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060111 Firefox/1.5.0.1 - Build ID: 2006011112
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

Alan, how do you archive a profile? - excuse my ignorance, please.
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

Alan Baxter wrote:
anon42 wrote:But I've turned off the auto-install on UN. The reason is that I keep a close eye on the extension updates I have and like to know which extensions have been updated so I can track what has been changed. This is not as easy with the auto-install.

Try displaying the archive directory sorted by date. The extensions that were automatically installed by UN and archived by MTLI should be the most recent.
anon42 wrote:So I let UN tell me there's updates available and then explictly go into the EM to check for those updates so that I can see the update button(s) on each extension that needs updating. I then quickly know what is changing.

That's what I do. I want complete control over what gets updated and when. I also archive a copy of my profile before each extension update. It's saved me a lot of grief in the long run.
--
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060111 Firefox/1.5.0.1 - Build ID: 2006011112

I like to look at the changelogs for each extension before updating.
By the way, extensions which don't give changelogs for their updates piss me off.
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

makondo wrote:Alan, how do you archive a profile? - excuse my ignorance, please.

I probably just do it more simply than you imagine: :)
- Close Fx
- Make a copy of the whole profile directory
- Rename the copy by appending a description of what I'm about to change, e.g. if my working profile is named abcd1234.v15, then I rename the copy to abcd1234.v15.Beupdate_notifier-0.1.2 (before upgrading to UN 0.1.2)
- Move the renamed copy into the directory ProfileArchives. (That contains 140 archived profiles. I suppose I could delete some of the very old ones, but disk space is cheap.)

I can easily revert to one of my archived profiles by deleting the text that I appended to the original profile name. I don't have to do that often, but it sure does come in handy when I do. Hope this helps, makondo. I bet you expected something more complicated?

EDIT:
XerBlade wrote:extensions which don't give changelogs for their updates piss me off.

Me too.
--
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

Thanks, Alan. That's about what i do ... actually thought you'll tell me about some option in some extension that i'm missing (you know, easy, easy, easy button).
Sorry for stealing focus in the thread.
BTW, to answer the Qs about double updates - just got one. Both icons came up, the green and the blue.
anon42

Post by anon42 »

XerBlade wrote:I like to look at the changelogs for each extension before updating. By the way, extensions which don't give changelogs for their updates piss me off.

Which is exactly why I want to know what is being updated. And, yes, not having a changelog for an update piss me off too :-)
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:48.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/48.0
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

Okay, a couple things I noticed (while using someone else's computer [I normally wouldn't have found these, in other words, due to how I use it for one, and my theme for the other]):
1) I've found that it's doing the dialog button corner behind the toolbar image thing in several themes that are not BlackJapan-based as well. The only one I can remember specifically is SaFire.
2) It doesn't show the restart alert in the toolbar if the option to show the icon when there are no updates is not checked. To me, at least, it seems to make more sense to still show the restart alert with that option disabled, for various reasons, like that still having to do with updates being available, for example. If there are, in fact, people who really do prefer it functioning that way, you could at least provide a separate option for it, instead of having it depend on a basically unrelated one.
User Agent
Extensions
tmlong

Post by tmlong »

XerBlade wrote:1) I've found that it's doing the dialog button corner behind the toolbar image thing in several themes that are not BlackJapan-based as well. The only one I can remember specifically is SaFire.

Yeah, thanks for letting me know. There are a couple other themes that have funky issues with it but I believe I have resolved the issue for all of them. It will definitely have this available with the next release. Make sure that it looks nice and standard.

XerBlade wrote:2) It doesn't show the restart alert in the toolbar if the option to show the icon when there are no updates is not checked. To me, at least, it seems to make more sense to still show the restart alert with that option disabled, for various reasons, like that still having to do with updates being available, for example. If there are, in fact, people who really do prefer it functioning that way, you could at least provide a separate option for it, instead of having it depend on a basically unrelated one.

You are correct and that is definitely what it shouldn't do. I will make sure that is resolved as well and included in the next release.

Thanks for the heads up on these issues. Please let me know if you find anymore =)

- TL
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

Okay, I'm getting the restart alert after installing non-current themes which do not technically require a restart after updating (notice Firefox doesn't even give restart alerts within the theme manager itself for those, considering how pointless it would be and all).
User Agent
Extensions
sremick

Post by sremick »

Supposedly this extension works in Thunderbird as well, but I can't see how to download it a-la-carte to install into TB via drag-and-drop. Can someone offer some guidance?
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

Okay, try this:
1) Download the file.
2) Open Thunderbird.
3) Go to Tools > Extensions.
4) Click the Install button.
5) Navigate to the file and click Open.
6) Install.
7) Restart.
8) Enjoy.
User Agent
Extensions
sremick

Post by sremick »

XerBlade: I'm familiar with the general idea. I've installed extensions into TB before. Problem was Step 1. The page uses Javascript to launch the install. It's not a link to the file. So you can't install the file from the home page.

However I went to the addons.mozilla.org site and that worked. Duh. :)
tmlong

Post by tmlong »

sremick wrote:Supposedly this extension works in Thunderbird as well, but I can't see how to download it a-la-carte to install into TB via drag-and-drop. Can someone offer some guidance?

Yeah, if you just right-click and "Save Link As..." on the addons.mozilla.org you can easily download it. Sorry that I don't have that on my website but I am working on adding it that (I know it doesn't take much) along with specific language downloads. Thanks.

XerBlade wrote:Okay, I'm getting the restart alert after installing non-current themes which do not technically require a restart after updating (notice Firefox doesn't even give restart alerts within the theme manager itself for those, considering how pointless it would be and all).

Ahh, I will make sure to fix that =) I wasn't sure how the theme system worked with restarting but that makes sense since you aren't using those themes at that time. Thanks.

- TL