[Ext] World Weather+ 2.3.3 Released: 5-08-08

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

wildman wrote:Would you be interested in hacking one for http://weather.gov ...non-profit, noadds, public-domain, but limited to US residents?

I'll check it out, no promises though.
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
george27

Post by george27 »

Great work as usual Mr. Tech, I was wondering, this extension uses the current weather conditions. would it be possible to add the chance of percipitation stats from the todays stats such as in the old forcastfox

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/m ... hp?id=2024

It's really missing for going out the door checks. TIA
Soul Fox

Post by Soul Fox »

mrtech wrote:
Soul Fox wrote:Now if somebody could do just the same thing with <a href="http://www.rleeden.no-ip.com/firefox/flagfox/"?>Flagfox</a>...

I checked this out, it's not the images that take up the room is the very large arrays it uses to match (I think) ip addresses. I didn't spend to much time in the code, but there are thousands of lines of arrays in several (over 10+) files and that's why the extensions is so bulky. The extensions would have to be re-engineered to get the size down. Not sure if I have the time for that, but might investigate again later.

Thank you for looking into this. Anything that you can do would be greatly appreciated.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

My original code refresh took the extension from 534k, to 436k, this release has it down to 313k.

Important: I've changed the internal ID for this extension, please uninstall any previous releases of WorldWeather and restart before installing this version!
http://www.mrtech.com/msgboard/worldweather.xpi

To do:
- I need to just about completely redo all the backend code
- I need to get in contact with Weather.com to get a new agreement and referrer so that I don't loose rights to use their site

Investigating/Planned:
- Detect offline mode to disable querying for weather
- Startup delay option to give Thunderbird time to breath when it starts up
- Remembering previous weather on restarts and launching
- Status bar popup options for weather warnings, etc.
- Using icon pack instead of the default
- Get WorldWeather on apps other than Thunderbird.....
- Some special surprises....
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

Works just fine in TB 1.5.0.5.

Keep up the great work!
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

The Blood Series: BloodFire, BloodFire 3, BloodThunder, BloodSun, & BloodSong
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

Moving to Extension/Theme Releases per mrtech's request in IRC. PM me if it was a horrible monster impersonating you or something.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

shadytrees wrote:Moving to Extension/Theme Releases per mrtech's request in IRC. PM me if it was a horrible monster impersonating you or something.

perfect, thank you.
sophist2

Post by sophist2 »

The dev build 1.9.0628.01 does not work on the latest 1.5 nightly even when I used Mr Tech Local Install to force compatibility.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060729 Firefox/1.5.0.6 - Build ID: 2006072904
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

sophist2 wrote:The dev build 1.9.0628.01 does not work on the latest 1.5 nightly even when I used Mr Tech Local Install to force compatibility.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060729 Firefox/1.5.0.6 - Build ID: 2006072904

you shouldn't need to force compatibility the version in the install.rdf are 1.0 - 3.0

Make sure you uinstall the previous version completely or clean out your extension.rdf in your profile and try installing again. you can also pm me your config I'll check things out.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

sophist2 wrote:The dev build 1.9.0628.01 does not work on the latest 1.5 nightly even when I used Mr Tech Local Install to force compatibility.

oh, just realized, this extension is currently only for Thunderbird.
sophist2

Post by sophist2 »

LOL I just saw that on your web site, guess I should pay more attention, thanks for the post
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Important: I've changed alot of the internal code, please uninstall any previous releases of WorldWeather and restart before installing this version!

http://www.mrtech.com/msgboard/worldweatherplus.xpi

1.9.1219.01 Release Notes:
- added: Startup delay option to give Thunderbird time to breath when it starts up
- added: added preference observer to refresh display when options window is closed
- updated: complete restructuring of the code
- updated: consolidated location search option screen into the main options screen
- updated: renamed all internal package names to "worldweatherplus"
- updated: got new Weather.com agreement and referrer so that I don't loose rights to use their site
- fixed: refresh issue when options window opened from Extensions/Addons is now fixed with preference observer
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

Thanks Mel!

Working GREAT with TB 2.0 b1!

Another excellent job from MRTECH!
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

The Blood Series: BloodFire, BloodFire 3, BloodThunder, BloodSun, & BloodSong
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

2.0 includes a tiny bit of cleanup and is waiting approval on AMO, enjoy!
Lost User 212542

Post by Lost User 212542 »

I installed this extension over 2 hrs ago, & it does not refresh automatically. Is this a bug?