[Ext] superT 0.7.9 - tab browsing extension for Fx&Flock

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.

What feature do you want most?

Option to select left tab after closing
6%
Compatibility with latest Firefox trunk builds
44%
Support for Firefox's new tab bar scroll buttons
31%
More tab clicking options
19%

Total votes: 16

mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

Yeah it has Places.

edit: updated to today's build and superT 0.5, no change

Post by ******** »

mattcoz wrote:Yeah it has Places.

you're right about the default behavior thing.
i never noticed it.
i'm pretty sure it's the bindings that I attach to the tab bar to set up the overflow menus and the tab picker that is messing it up the close buttons.
i'll work on it.

*edit*
it was the binding.
when .tabbrowser-tabs has the tiny attribute set to "true", the close buttons disappear.
i think i can fix this, but development won't be lightning fast like these past 11 days. :D
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

Good to know I'm not crazy. :)
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

Decided to help out and try to fix it myself, here's what I've found:

Code: Select all

<binding id="default" extends="chrome://global/content/bindings/tabbox.xml#tabs-closebutton">

That binding is the problem. It should be this:

Code: Select all

<binding id="default" extends="chrome://global/content/bindings/tabbrowser.xml#tabbrowser-tabs">

That gives me back the default behavior, although the tab overflow isn't working quite right. If I open enough tabs to activate the overflow chevrons, and then close all but the last tab, there are a few tabs that end up being hidden and not closed.

Post by ******** »

thanks for helping out!
i'm not an expert on XUL and firefox's js functions, so debugging is tough for me at this stage in superT's development.

i did figure out that the problem was that part of the binding, but i'm not sure what i should change in the binding.
pretty much, with superT installed, .tabbrowser-tabs's tiny attribute just isn't being set to true for some reason when a lot of tabs are opened.
i'll look at chrome://global/content/bindings/tabbox.xml#tabs-closebutton and chrome://global/content/bindings/tabbrowser.xml#tabbrowser-tabs and see what the difference is.

actually all the this binding code, tab bar overflow menus, and tab picker code was not originally written by me, i got it from the Too Many Tabs! extension by Jomel (John Mellor).
I then modified it, of course, for my extension's purposes.
superT has 3 known issues:
1. when overflow menus is enabled, in rare cases, the wrong tabs will be be collapsed and "disappear" from the tab bar. To fix this, disable overflow menus and then re-enable it.
2. sometimes the tab picker will just stop working. i've isolated the function that has the buggy code, but will need to look into it further to fix it.
3. the close buttons thing we're dealing with right now
all 3 of these problems are in code from the Too Many Tabs! extension, so I'll contact Jomel about it to see if he knows how to fix it.
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

In tabbrowser.xml#tabbrowser-tabs there are some handlers for figuring out which close buttons should be shown, by extending tabbox.xml#tabs-closebutton it wasn't using those handlers and just always displayed the close buttons. There is a comment above tabbox.xml#tabs-closebutton that says it is obsolete since the new tab browsing changes. Not sure how changing the binding will affect older builds.

I think my problem with tab overflow is related to #1, maybe changing the binding makes it happen more often.

edit: that fix for #1 does work in my case

related problem: when re-enabling the overflow menus, the close buttons aren't checked so they display when they shouldn't.

Post by ******** »

by replacing the current bindings.xml with the following file:
http://supert.garyr.net/bindings.xml
it fixes the close buttons issue when overflow menus is disabled
and also when it's enabled as long as the first tab is visible and not hidden.

i don't think i will have time to pursue this issue much further this week, but you figure out a fix, that'd be great, and i'd add you to my contributors list.

i'm changing the contributors list in my next release.
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

I think I fixed it. :p

edit: Not only did I fix it, I took 30 lines and cut it down to 4. :)

edit: Ok, not 100% fixed, but I'll get it.

Post by ******** »

after fixing it for the new builds, if you could also make it work in the Fx 1.5.0.x builds, that'd be great.
Thanks for all your help :)
Hopefully, these 3 bugs can be crushed soon.
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

Bugs 1 and 3 are squashed. :)

I'll take a look at 1.5, see what I can do there.
pforhan

Post by pforhan »

How can I bring back the close tab button on the right? Could that be made into an option?

Post by ******** »

pforhan wrote:How can I bring back the close tab button on the right? Could that be made into an option?

read this post:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 39#2147339

i'm sorry for any inconvenience this causes.

just set middle-click tab to "close tab" in the superT options or something.
or if you don't have a middle mouse button, set any of the other clicking options to "close tab"

edit: it seems like a lot of people want the close tab button back, so i'll <i>consider</i> adding it back in, but use the workaround above at least for now.

@mattcoz: sweet. when you're done, could you email me your code, so i can merge it with my code?
i'll PM you my email address.

btw, how did you fix known issue #1?
the code for collapsing tabs for the overflow menus is in toomanytabs.js, not the the bindings.xml
but maybe the bug is caused by the bindings?
pforhan

Post by pforhan »

I appreciate your desire to keep the code clean, though I greatly disagree from a usability standpoint. Can you at least tell me the file to hack to change this?
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

I modified the code in toomanytabs.js, specifically the tmt_overflowMenus_reflow function. I don't know exactly what the bug in the code was, but I rewrote it so it will work. It was also in that function that I fixed the close button issue, made it look at the width of the first visible tab instead of the first tab.

Post by ******** »

pforhan wrote:I appreciate your desire to keep the code clean, though I greatly disagree from a usability standpoint. Can you at least tell me the file to hack to change this?

be patient, i'll have a fix out soon.