[Ext] superT 0.7.9 - tab browsing extension for Fx&Flock

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.

What feature do you want most?

Option to select left tab after closing
6%
Compatibility with latest Firefox trunk builds
44%
Support for Firefox's new tab bar scroll buttons
31%
More tab clicking options
19%

Total votes: 16

mzfuser
Folder@Home

Post by mzfuser »

Itd be great to have a rebuilt superT and I agree with the features posted by eXXile.

Post by ******** »

eXXile wrote:The features which would fit my needs:

• new tabs opens right beside the current tab
  • select the left tab when closing a tab
  • undo closed tabs button
  • multi row tabbar
  • min. and max. tab width
  • mouse clicking options(e.g. double-click closes the tab)
  • mark tabs as unread (not important, some user css do the same)
  • don't close window when closing the last tab
  • open new tabs from bookmarks, group of bookmarks, history, search bar ...

it's great to hear from you, eXXile. you've done a great job with AIOS.
i remember the days when i used to do little css mods to make AIOS compatible with those really wild themes back when Firefox was still version 1.0.x :P
good times.

well, it looks like i'll be starting soon, since Firefox 3.0 is just around the corner.
remember that this will require me to rebuild the extension almost from scratch so please be patient as the first few testing versions that i release will be VERY sparse on features.
Uncle Spellbinder

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

Hey desertfox! Glad to see work on this extension has not stopped. One of ma favorites pf all time. Look forward to testing.
My Firefox Add-Ons Collection: Firefox Essentials
eXXile

Post by eXXile »

desertfox wrote:i remember the days when i used to do little css mods to make AIOS compatible with those really wild themes back when Firefox was still version 1.0.x :P
good times.

I always liked your suggestions and hints. Really good times. :-D However, AiOS is still in a 0.x state...

desertfox wrote:remember that this will require me to rebuild the extension almost from scratch so please be patient as the first few testing versions that i release will be VERY sparse on features.

No problem. Like Uncle Spellbinder I look forward to testing the new extension. Have you any idea how many time do you need? But please don't feel to be rushed.

Post by ******** »

Hello, Uncle Spellbinder! Nice to hear from you! It's been a while.

eXXile wrote:Have you any idea how many time do you need? But please don't feel to be rushed.

Well, keep in mind that I am a high school senior (12th grade). I began superT back when I was still a high school sophomore.
I am still rather busy. Recently, I have been composing music, writing and recording songs. That is another one of my passions. During the school year, I will probably be spending more time working on music things that on superT.

I will first need to download the latest development builds of Firefox 3.
Uncle Spellbinder and eXXile, how are those nightly builds working? Are there still too many bugs to work on?
Should I go with the latest beta or the latest nightly?

Once I get a good build to work with, I will have to examine all the new tabbed browsing code since it has been radically changed since Firefox 1.5 when I wrote superT. Then I will need to completely rewrite the user interface code (XUL).
The first feature that I will include will probably be "Open tabs to the right of current tab" :P, since that is easy to do.
Then I will likely include the undo closed tab button and tab clicking options.
These two features MIGHT be rebuilt by the end of February. I'm sorry if it's a long time, but I have a busy schedule during January and February.
The options for setting different modes for the tab bar will come later since that code is especially difficult to modify.

A feature I would REALLY like to add is the "Lock Tab" feature that is available as a built-in feature in Opera. It prevents a tab from being closed. This is especially useful when you are viewing your email in a tab. Does anyone know how to implement this feature?
eXXile

Post by eXXile »

desertfox wrote:Well, keep in mind that I am a high school senior (12th grade). I began superT back when I was still a high school sophomore.[...]

Still no problem. :-D It's not my concern to jostle. Take the time you need. I was only interested to know if a first test build could be available in February or in December. ;-)

desertfox wrote:Uncle Spellbinder and eXXile, how are those nightly builds working? Are there still too many bugs to work on?
Should I go with the latest beta or the latest nightly?

Good question. I don't use betas or nightly builds in the everyday life. So I can't tell you very much about these builds. And the differences for the work with AiOS are not the determining factor. I assume that the AiOS code is more unaffiliated from the Fx code than a tabbrowsing extension could be. However, I suggest to use an official beta build to work with, because I think (hope?) that this is more stable and less experimental. Sometimes I did some fixes for a nightly build and had to remove it when it becomes an official build.

desertfox wrote:A feature I would REALLY like to add is the "Lock Tab" feature that is available as a built-in feature in Opera. It prevents a tab from being closed. This is especially useful when you are viewing your email in a tab. Does anyone know how to implement this feature?

Tab Mix Plus has implemented this feature. You could have a look in the sources.

Post by ******** »

thanks for the tips, eXXile.

sorry to have been so optimistic, everyone.
looks like i won't have a release ready by the end of february.
this time, i'll be more conservative and say that a test build may not be ready until the summer.
i realize that i've delayed this many times already, but it is simply because i have been spending a lot more time writing music.

i'd like to have an album of songs completed by the summer so i can put together something that i could send to record labels or submit to independent recording studios.
again, if any of you would like to build a new version of superT and start from there, i'd be glad to help you, but i don't have the time to work on superT myself at the moment.
eXXile

Post by eXXile »

That's no problem for me. I know how difficult it could be to make a prediction...

Which kind of music do you compose? Can we hear something elsewhere in the net? :-) However, please take all the time you need - for the music and the extension.

Post by ******** »

i compose music for:
piano only
piano and vocals
piano, vocals, bass, synth strings :P (i'll get myself some live strings someday), some guitar, and drums <-- standard song instrumentation
i'm working on learning guitar so i can write better guitar parts

i don't have recorded tracks that i could show you, and copyright is a mess these days, but if i ever debut, i'll let you guys know :)
Gofo

Post by Gofo »

Can someone make a tab multi row extension ?
arnoldzifflel

Re: [Ext] superT 0.7.9 - tab browsing extension for Fx&Flock

Post by arnoldzifflel »

The folks over at TMP have some major compatibility errors with other very cool extensions which is quite normal developing extension software. However their approach to resolving these issues with their users is "just disable the extension that is causing the conflict". I may mot be a high school genius like you but I do know that their response is very poor. Why should I have to disable an extension I chose (because I like it or find it useful) just so I can use theirs?
Here lies the need for a lightweight version (like superT for FF 2) that FF users who don't want the bloated TMP and it's issues but need some more functionality than the basic FF 3 provides.
In a nutshell .... come on dude update this thing... we all know you can do it. [-o<
Thanks !
Uncle Spellbinder

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

arnoldzifflel wrote:In a nutshell .... come on dude update this thing... we all know you can do it. [-o< Thanks !

Couldn't agree more. I really miss this extension.
My Firefox Add-Ons Collection: Firefox Essentials

Post by ******** »

I just released Tabberwocky, the successor to superT, if anyone's interested:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/14439
eXXile

Post by eXXile »

Hello studio17,

studio17 wrote:I just released Tabberwocky, the successor to superT, if anyone's interested:

many thanks for your hard work and thumbs up for a great new extension! =D>

Post by ******** »

Moderators, feel free to close this topic, and I am the developer of superT, and this extension has long been made obselete by both Firefox 2.0 and my new extension Tabberwocky.

Please check out the forum thread for Tabberwocky here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=1535085