[Ext] Yahoo Mail Notifier 1.0.7.3 - discussion

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Morac

Post by Morac »

Noyce wrote:
Noyce wrote:I never heard back from Yahoo, but the new mail icon is back in effect as of yesterday. :)
Yahoo! works in mysterious ways. I can never tell if they receive emails I send them or not since they never response, unlike Google who once actually got back to me within an hour with a actual email (not a canned response). I think Yahoo reads emails sent to them they just don't usually respond unless a response is warranted.
Noyce

Post by Noyce »

Morac wrote:
Noyce wrote:I never heard back from Yahoo, but the new mail icon is back in effect as of yesterday. :)
Yahoo! works in mysterious ways. I can never tell if they receive emails I send them or not since they never response, unlike Google who once actually got back to me within an hour with a actual email (not a canned response). I think Yahoo reads emails sent to them they just don't usually respond unless a response is warranted.

Probably so...anyway, glad it's back to normal.
Thanks for all of the feedback, Morac. :wink:
mod_wastrel

Got snippets?

Post by mod_wastrel »

Will the recent move by Yahoo! to open up their Yahoo! Mail code to developers help you with getting that "Gmail Manager-like snippets" feature working sooner? (Or is it not even relevant?) Thanks.
Morac

Post by Morac »

Well Yahoo hasn't made the code available yet, but from reading about it is sounds like it is designed for people writing web code to interface with Yahoo Mail (or more specifically a way to authenticate with Yahoo's servers). It may be possible to use it, but it's doubtful.

The "Gmail Manager-like snippets" feature isn't impossible to do, but the way Yahoo is currently set up it is tricky. Especially since some people use the old Yahoo (which would be easier to do this with) and some people use Yahoo's Beta version of mail (which would be much more difficult to do this with).

The other problem is, at least with the beta, Yahoo is constantly changing things around. To do get snippets the extension would have to parse the mail text. If the location of this keeps changing then the code would have to change as well. If I were going to add it, I'd have to wait for Yahoo mail to become more stable.

There are actually things I want to do for Yahoo Mail, especially with the pending release of Firefox 2.0 and it's new extension features, but I haven't found the time to do it. Unfortunately it's been a while since I've looked at my code which means I'd have to refigure out what I was trying to do at the time. I'm seriously considering porting or merging the Gmail extension code over to work with Yahoo assuming I can figure out how the MPL license actually works. Since Doron (the guy who writes the GMail extension) posted an example on how to do multiple logins separate from his code, I'm not sure how it is covered by the MPL.
mod_wastrel

Post by mod_wastrel »

OK. Thanks for the info. Sounds like it simpler to just use POP access to get the desired info and format it into XML or something. Well, I'll look forward to tryin' out the new stuff once it's out. Thanks again.
;) mozillaZine is not Mozilla; just as Godzilla is not God. Neither is Mozilla God... they just think they are (what's that about:mozilla?).
Hey, Mozilla... are you sure you wish to do this? (bug 1121291)
Morac

Post by Morac »

Well not all accounts have POP access. In addition for those that do, POP will only give what is in the Inbox (not any folders).
mod_wastrel

Post by mod_wastrel »

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that; I have Mail Plus (for a variety of reasons), so I do have POP access (though I prefer using the beta interface instead for composing messages--about 99% of the time). As far as only getting the Inbox detail, I'd actually prefer that.

At some point, maybe Yahoo! will return to the free POP model, though I don't expect it anytime soon.

Thanks.
;) mozillaZine is not Mozilla; just as Godzilla is not God. Neither is Mozilla God... they just think they are (what's that about:mozilla?).
Hey, Mozilla... are you sure you wish to do this? (bug 1121291)
VvWolverinevV

Post by VvWolverinevV »

Recently, I've been having issues with Yahoo! Mail Notifier. The notifier will show something on the order of 30-50 new emails when there are actually less than 3 new emails. Has anyone else had this problem?

Also, I agree with mod_wastrel:
mod_wastrel wrote:As far as only getting the Inbox detail, I'd actually prefer that.

I would rather be notified of only what's in my inbox.
Morac

Post by Morac »

I've never seen 30-50, but I could swear that sometimes I see few more mail listed then there currently is. At the moment it is not doing this. The extension parses the number directly from the text on the http://update.companion.yahoo.com/slv/v4/not page. That page is automatically updated by Yahoo. If you are seeing 30-50 and that page also displays 30-50 then there is something wrong with Yahoo. If you see 30-50 and that page only lists like 3 than it is my extension that is causing the problem.

About the inbox thing, the extension will only notify of new mail in other folders if you have a filter set up to place new mail in those folders. If all the new mail goes into your Inbox then it will only notifiy you of new mail in your Inbox even if you then manually move the mail to another folder. The method I use to detect new mail does not allow me to specify to only use the Inbox. Basically it's not something I currently plan on implementing as it would require using a different method to check for new mail. There are other extensions which try to do this, but they break any time Yahoo changes something.
Morac

Post by Morac »

I've confirmed that Yahoo is frequently reporting the wrong number of new mail messages. It does seem to reset when the Yahoo Mail page is visited. I'm not 100% positive, but it may be counting messages in the Spam and/or Sent folder though even that doesn't explain what I'm seeing. It doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. For example right now it said I had 7 new mail messages when I didn't have any. The count went back to 0 when I visited the mail web site.

My suggestion is to contact Yahoo. That's what I did.
VvWolverinevV

Post by VvWolverinevV »

The extension is consistent with the page http://update.companion.yahoo.com/slv/v4/not , so I agree that Yahoo! is the problem.
Morac

Post by Morac »

I've tracked down what's happening with Yahoo and why it's coming up with the wrong new mail message count. Basically if you are using the Yahoo Mail Beta, the number of new messages doesn't reset back to 0 when the check mail button is pressed or the mail is read. When you read the mail and press the check mail button (or wait ten minutes) it will correctly list that there is no new mail, but when the next new message comes in it gets added to the prior count instead of starting back at 0. The work around for this is to reload the Yahoo Mail Beta page.

Steps to recreate:

1. Go to Yahoo Mail Beta page and send yourself an email.
2. Check the my.yahoo.com page and it will say you have 1 email.
3. Press the check mail button on the Yahoo Mail Beta page.
4. Refresh my.yahoo.com and it will list no new mail.
5. Send yourself another email and check the my.yahoo.com page and it will say there are 2 new mail messages when there is only 1.
6. You can repeat steps 3-5 and see the new mail count keep climbing.
7. Reload the mail.yahoo.com page and send yourself another message. Now my.yahoo.com will correctly say you have 1 new mail message.

I've sent a message to Yahoo about this, but they have been ignoring my email as of late. If we can get more people emailing them maybe they'll fix this.
VvWolverinevV

Post by VvWolverinevV »

That sounds about right, Morac. Good digging =D>

I will complain to Yahoo! tonight.
cheeyangt

Post by cheeyangt »

I have been using Yahoo Mail Notiifier for a while and have no issues until recently. Every time i reopen Firefox 2.0, i am prompted to reenter the password even though i have selected the option "Remember password....".

why is this so? I have tried to uninstall and reinstall YM but to no avail. Any help?
Morac

Post by Morac »

Are you prompted to enter the Firefox master password or the extension Yahoo password?