[Ext] Yahoo Mail Notifier 1.0.7.3 - discussion

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
tempjag

Post by tempjag »

Ok, I hope they'll cooperate. :)
paraver

Not working

Post by paraver »

Since yesterday, it seems not to be working. I received e-mails, and this extensions did not warn me about them.
-= paraver =- PT
Morac

Re: Not working

Post by Morac »

paraver wrote:Since yesterday, it seems not to be working. I received e-mails, and this extensions did not warn me about them.

Yahoo's new mail notification has been all scrwed up since yesterday. This is affecting all of Yahoo's methods of reporting new mail such as Yahoo Messenger and Yahoo Toolbar. It even includes the new mail notification on My Yahoo! and the main home page.

As far as I can tell the Yahoo server that reports the new mail count has just stopped updating and is remaining at whatever count it was when it stopped. So in your case it is reporting no mail. In my case it is always reported 2 new mail no matter how many new mails I have.

I've reported this to Yahoo and they gave me some bogus response about the Yahoo Toolbar incorrectly counting bulk mail as new mail (which isn't true) and that they are trying to fix that problem. Since that isn't the problem who knows how long it will take to fix this. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do on my end since Yahoo itself is reporting the wrong number of new mail.

You can read more about the issue on Yahoo's toolbar feedback forums:
Firefox toolbar thread
IE toolbar thread 1
IE toolbar thread 2

I recommend Contacting Yahoo and telling them that your new mail count is updating on the My Yahoo page and that it isn't updating in Yahoo Toolbar or Messenger either. Hopefully if they get enough reports they'll actually fix the problem.
techguyone

Post by techguyone »

Hi,
Love the extension, and find it very useful and featured, I do have one problem/suggestion however.

I access firefox from a USB flash drive, which means that the drive letter assigned to the drive can be anything from D: to Z:

It would be really helpful for those of us using Flash drives if you could support relative paths in your extension.
So for the sound to work correctly on any given PC, rather than have it like: Q:\USB Apps\System\NOTIFY.WAV
It would be something like: \USB Apps\System\NOTIFY.WAV
Is this possible?
Morac

Post by Morac »

It can't be relative to a drive, but it can be relative to your profile's chrome directory. So if your user profile is stored on your USB key, just copy your sound file into the chrome directory in your profile directory and type the filename without a path "NOTIFY.WAV".

On a side note Yahoo seems to still be screwed up. It's no longer telling me I always have new mail. Now it tells me I never have new mail. I called Yahoo support and was told they are aware of the issue (apparently it's been going on almost a week for some people) and that they are working on a fix. The person said to give them a few days.
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

Morac wrote:On a side note Yahoo seems to still be screwed up. It's no longer telling me I always have new mail. Now it tells me I never have new mail. I called Yahoo support and was told they are aware of the issue (apparently it's been going on almost a week for some people) and that they are working on a fix. The person said to give them a few days.

Thanks for the update, Morac! It's working better for me today than it has all week, but it is still not completely fixed on their end. Thanks for the great extension!
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

The Blood Series: BloodFire, BloodFire 3, BloodThunder, BloodSun, & BloodSong
Morac

Post by Morac »

Cato62 wrote:Thanks for the update, Morac! It's working better for me today than it has all week, but it is still not completely fixed on their end. Thanks for the great extension!
They do appear to be doing something since it is working on two of my test accounts I created to test the extension. Unfortunately it is not working on my main account I use which is annoying. So it is now working for some and not for others.
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

Morac wrote:They do appear to be doing something since it is working on two of my test accounts I created to test the extension. Unfortunately it is not working on my main account I use which is annoying. So it is now working for some and not for others.

Even in the short time since I posted above it appears to be acting more normal.
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

Morac

Post by Morac »

My notifications just started working again so hopefully things are going back to normal.
techguyone

Post by techguyone »

Thanks morac, your suggestion worked great :)
My yahoo notificatins went funky too earlier in the week, but seem ok (here in the UK) for the last 3 days.
johnnyzero

Post by johnnyzero »

I'm experiencing the recent counter problems w/ Yahoo Mail Notifier too - last 3 days or so.

I'm posting this mainly so that I can be notified whenever someone adds to this topic - couldn't figure out any other way to "subscribe".

btw, Yahoo Mail Notifier is probably my favorite & most useful extension. I can't stand being without it! Hopefully Yahoo will get things fixed soon.

best,
JohnB
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

It appears to be on the fritz again. Today I haven't been notified once, but everytime I check in anyway, there are a few in my inbox. Hopefully, Yahoo is still on it.

Morac

Post by Morac »

johnnyzero wrote:I'm experiencing the recent counter problems w/ Yahoo Mail Notifier too - last 3 days or so.

I'm posting this mainly so that I can be notified whenever someone adds to this topic - couldn't figure out any other way to "subscribe".

btw, Yahoo Mail Notifier is probably my favorite & most useful extension. I can't stand being without it! Hopefully Yahoo will get things fixed soon.

best,
JohnB

As far as I know Yahoo has fixed the recently problem (though it still may affect some people). If you are still having problems I'd say the best bet is to contact them.

Thanks for the praise. I really should start working on the multi-user version, but I just can't seem to motivate myself to get started (since it will basically require a re-write). That and I've recently become addicted to World of Warcraft :D. I'm going to just have to hunker down one weekend and work on it.

I am hoping to get it done by the time Firefox 2.0 comes out since FF 2.0 will contain fixes which will allow the extension to check multi-user accounts without affecting to user's Yahoo login. Meaning you can be logged in to one Yahoo account and the extension will be able to check a different account without the user noticing. In Firefox 1.5 and below, the extension is forced to log the user in to the other Yahoo account to check mail.

I'm also seriously considering discontinuing support for older versions of Mozilla and Firefox. I have to code too many work around for bugs that have long been fixed in Firefox 1.5 and above. This makes the code messy. I will probably release one final version that supports all the old browsers and then basically only newer versions (Firefox 1.5+, Seamonkey, Flock, etc). Unfortunately this would remove support for Netscape as well which is still based off of Firefox 1.0.

BTW, if you haven't "subscribed" to a thread you can click the "Watch this topic for replies" and the bottom of the page.
johnnyzero

thanks, etc.

Post by johnnyzero »

Thanks for the reply, Morac. Again, great extension. I had been using Terry Yuen's excellent "YM Notifier" for a long time, but it appears to have been abandoned.

The counter seems to be working again today - hopefully Yahoo has gotten their act together & it'll keep working. I can't wait to see what happens when Yahoo finally flips the switch on their much-ballhooed new version (Ajax interface, etc.)! Hopefully things won't hit the fan too severely for you & YMN when they do. It sounds like YMN uses the Yahoo! Companion "feed" for its counter anyway , so maybe it won't be affected at all.

I'm one of those stubborn folks still using FF 1.0.7 - mostly because it works great for me (if it ain't broke...); but also because I'm too lazy and dread the thought of installing FF 1.5 or 2.0 and having to re-do all my extensions, toolbars, etc from scratch.

>>BTW, if you haven't "subscribed" to a thread you can click the "Watch this topic for replies" and the bottom of the page.

Sorry about that - I wasn't sure if "Watch This Topic" would enable email notifications, or if it would just add this thread to my Watched Topics list. Now I know...

best,
JohnB
Morac

Re: thanks, etc.

Post by Morac »

johnnyzero wrote:TI can't wait to see what happens when Yahoo finally flips the switch on their much-ballhooed new version (Ajax interface, etc.)! Hopefully things won't hit the fan too severely for you & YMN when they do. It sounds like YMN uses the Yahoo! Companion "feed" for its counter anyway , so maybe it won't be affected at all.

Yeah, since I use the companion feed it doesn't make a difference if you use the new Yahoo or not. I myself have been using the beta for months now.

johnnyzero wrote:I'm one of those stubborn folks still using FF 1.0.7 - mostly because it works great for me (if it ain't broke...); but also because I'm too lazy and dread the thought of installing FF 1.5 or 2.0 and having to re-do all my extensions, toolbars, etc from scratch.

You might want to upgrade to 1.0.8 which fixes some security flaws in 1.0.7.

The problem with supporting older versions (which the Mozilla foundation doesn't even support) is that I can't use newer features that didn't exist in old versions. Many of these features would make things a lot easier for me. In addition people tend to complain things don't work when in reality it is a bug in the browser that has since been fixed. For example I've had to make modifications to "fix" things so they work in FF 1.0 even though it wasn't the extension's fault. The BT Internet fix for Firefox 1.0.x version I have on my site is a good example of extra work I had to do to get the extension to work with a browser that isn't even supported any more by Mozilla. The biggest issue I run into is Bug 174320 which was fixed in Firefox 1.5. This bug causes lots of problems and requires very specific work arounds for Firefox 1.0.

My extension works with older versions currently with only a few modifications, but when I start redesigning very likely there will be issues with old bugs in Firefox 1.0 and 1.5 which would cause people using those older browses to report bugs which really don't exist.

In any case, the vast majority of extensions designed for 1.0.x will still work in 1.5 and 2.0 even though they haven't been upgraded to install. I recommend installing Mr. Tech's Local Install extension. This adds the ability to install extensions designed for 1.0 in later browsers. It won't fix compatiblity issues, but I've found very few exensions that are no longer being maintained that don't work.