[Ext] Yahoo Mail Notifier 1.0.7.3 - discussion

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Morac

Post by Morac »

That sounds like a good idea, but unfortunately it's easier said then done. There are a lot of different URLs for Yahoo Mail and not all of them contain "mail.yahoo.com" in them so it's not a simple check to see if the mail page is already open. It's doable though so I'll look into it.

edit: Okay this was actually easier than I thought. It put together a change and uploaded it to this location. Give it about 12 hours to replicate (the version should be 0.9.4.4 and not 0.9.9.2).
denisa

Feature request for Yahoo Mail Notifier Add-on

Post by denisa »

Thanks Morac, I downloaded your updated YMN and it's working great for me (i.e. YMN is now reusing an opened Yahoo! Mail tab when I click on the envelope icon rather than always opening a new tab).

Just out of curiosity - this version of YMN is 0.9.9.4, which is what my previous version of YMN was (posted on May 16th, 2007 on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1264). Am I missing something here, or did you not bump your version number with this enhancement update?

Regards,
Denis
Morac

Post by Morac »

I didn't bump the version number since I may add stuff for when I actually release 0.9.9.5 and if I marked this as 0.9.9.5 then it wouldn't automatically update. I probably should have made it 0.9.9.5 and made my next release 0.9.9.6, but I'm trying to not hit 1.0 since I want to completely rewrite the extension (in order to support multiple users) and I want that to be 1.0.
rebolton2

yahoo mail notifier

Post by rebolton2 »

I am with ATT DSL, ATT and sbcglobal and yahoo have combined services,yahoo has combined services with Dialpad.com so people can call other people using there computer and it is free if the other person is on there computer as well,when I installed yahoo mail notifier I took a chance that it would work and it did even though my email ends in sbcglobal.net.This is because of what I just said that att and sbcglobal and yahoo have combined services.I think that it was really cool that I can access my sbcglobal.net account using the yahoo mail notifier.Get this I have a separate yahoo email account as well.When I install the browser that att supplies it integrates with yahoo so if I were to go to yahoo.com my email automatically shows up on there web site.Because of this I can not access my email account with yahoo.The only way to access my yahoo account is through firefox browser.Yahoo was trying to determine what I did when creating this account and what error messages I received.I figured out for myself what was causing me not being able to access my yahoo email account.Some times tech help is worthless.I am in not a expert.I have trouble understanding how most software programs work.I have found that the best way to keep from having any problems is not to install the browser that comes with ATT.I had to use their browser at first because firefox did not work with printing my online banking statement.None of this probably applies to you.But I thought that someone would find my experience interesting.
rebolton2

yahoo mail notifier

Post by rebolton2 »

I just made a post and found out that after accessing my yahoo mail account using firefox by trying to access it through yahoo.com.I could not go back to access the account again, I could only access my sbcglobal.net email account.However I was able to access my yahoo email account through Internet Explorer.I think this is to weird.The yahoo email notifier works just fine in accessing my sbcglobal.net email account through the firefox browser.Again I think this is really cool how that works.Again none of this probably does not apply to most people.
Morac

Post by Morac »

rebotlon2, just a FYI. My extension will try and keep you logged into whatever account it is currently checking for new mail. If you want to log in to a different account right click and choose logout on the extension's icon in the status bar. Then you can login as your other account at Yahoo. I'm trying to get around to coding up a multi-user version, but I'm running into a snag into figuring out how much I should code from scratch and how much I should take from the GMail Notifier extension.
rebolton2

Gmail notifier

Post by rebolton2 »

I believe I had already tried the Gmail notifier and I can not access my yahoo email account with sbclogbal.net however with the yahoo email notifier I can access my sbcglobal.net account ,thanks for the tip about right clicking the icon to access another email account I will try accessing my brother's email account doing this.
menet

Post by menet »

Hi,

Since several days YMN 0.9.9.6 no more works... :?
Before my holidays it worked well. :P

I have looked in Mozdev and seems to have the same problem than fred_gaou which has also the problem since August it seems. (Bug 16439 - Won't login or notify me of new mail).

Clicking on YMN icon does a good connection on Yahoo Mail showing new mails.

http://update.companion.yahoo.com/slv/v4/not saids always : Y!Alertesmno2.bmp2884id=mnoY!poll4800�

I have enabled the logging (To enable it, type about:config in the location bar and then search for
extensions.ym_notifier.logenable and double click on it to change it to true.
When you are done double click it again to turn it off.)

Here are my traces :
At startup of Firefox 2.0.0.6 (I was yesterday with 2.0.0.4 and the problem was also there)
ym_notifier: Old Browser = false
ym_notifier: First window
ym_notifier: loginState : 5
ym_notifier: begin startChecking
ym_notifier: Checking mail for menetriert at http://update.companion.yahoo.com/slv/v4/not
ym_notifier: leave startChecking
ym_notifier: request status (200)
ym_notifier: no mail
ym_notifier: Observer callback - aSubject : null, aTopic : ym-gui-change, aData : 0 menetriert (18:57)
ym_notifier: loginState : 5, checkerror : false, loggedin : true, justloggedin : false, mailChange : true, newMail : false, aData[0] : 0, aData[1] : menetriert, aData[2] : (18:57)
********************************************************************************
At an automatic refresh :
ym_notifier: Observer callback - aSubject : [xpconnect wrapped nsISupports], aTopic : timer-callback, aData : null
ym_notifier: Checking mail for menetriert at http://update.companion.yahoo.com/slv/v4/not
ym_notifier: Observer callback - aSubject : null, aTopic : ym-gui-change, aData : 0 menetriert (19:02)
ym_notifier: loginState : 5, checkerror : false, loggedin : true, justloggedin : false, mailChange : true, newMail : false, aData[0] : 0, aData[1] : menetriert, aData[2] : (19:02)
********************************************************************************
Doing a manual check using the icon on the toolbar doing a right click and calling "check now"
ym_notifier: manualCheckMail
loginState : 5
ym_notifier: Observer callback - aSubject : null, aTopic : ym-gui-change, aData : 0 menetriert (19:05)
ym_notifier: loginState : 5, checkerror : false, loggedin : true, justloggedin : false, mailChange : true, newMail : false, aData[0] : 0, aData[1] : menetriert, aData[2] : (19:05)
Clicking on the icon to call Yahoo Mail page :
ym_notifier: Observer callback - aSubject : null, aTopic : ym-gui-change, aData : 0 undefined undefined
ym_notifier: loginState : 5, checkerror : false, loggedin : true, justloggedin : false, mailChange : true, newMail : false, aData[0] : 0, aData[1] : undefined, aData[2] : undefined

With fred_gaou, are we alone to encounter this problem ? :?:

I have this problem on the 2 PCs that I use. :(

Best regards :wink:
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

Menet,

YMN 0.9.9.6 is still working just fine for me on my WinXP SP2 box. Just an FYI.
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

The Blood Series: BloodFire, BloodFire 3, BloodThunder, BloodSun, & BloodSong
Morac

Post by Morac »

menet, the page that YMN checks to see if you have mail is reporting you have none. This is a Yahoo problem as it will also affect the Yahoo Toolbar and messenger programs (they won't report mail either). It may also affect the new mail status that shows up on my.yahoo.com and www.yahoo.com

It's known issue #2 at http://ymnotifier.mozdev.org/
I have no idea why this occurs, but you need to get Yahoo to fix it or use a notifier that parses the actual mail page (which won't be able to tell you if you have real new mail or just unread mail).
menet

Post by menet »

Thanks Morac for your reply.

Since yesterday afternoon, the problem seems solved. I have done nothing special in YM. :p

But I don't know if it is the reason but I no more see the forecast directly on the YM home page. This forecast view was new, I haven't it on the past, and now, I have only in the same space a link to choose a site...

Best regards ;)
jgangemi

support for growl notifications

Post by jgangemi »

Morac

Re: support for growl notifications

Post by Morac »

jgangemi wrote:could this be added?

http://trac.growl.info/wiki/MozillaGrowlNotifications

thx!

I'll look into it, but I have no way of testing it since I don't have a Mac.
jgangemi

Post by jgangemi »

Morac wrote:
jgangemi wrote:could this be added?

http://trac.growl.info/wiki/MozillaGrowlNotifications

thx!

I'll look into it, but I have no way of testing it since I don't have a Mac.

i will be more then happy to test it out for you.
Morac

Post by Morac »

jgangemi wrote:i will be more then happy to test it out for you.

Okay I threw something together. Tell me if it works:
Available here.