[Ext] Yahoo Mail Notifier 1.0.7.3 - discussion

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

I just installed this extension this morning.
I thought it was working quite well until Yahoo locked my account for repeated invalid username/password login attempts.
This has never happened to me before I installed this extension.
So now I have uninstalled the extension.
Sorry, I just can't deal with it.
Morac

Post by Morac »

The extension only logs in once every 12 hours unless you manually logout and back in again. It will also not check unless it successfully logs in once (meaning you got past entering your username and password). Not sure why you're account locked, but I doubt it was do to this extension since this is the first report I've ever heard of this. During testing I've logged in and out a lot and never had my account locked.
Zikit

Working very very badly with Yahoo Mail Beta

Post by Zikit »

Morac, I've been using your extension successfully since the very first versions, and for this I thank you a lot.
But ever since I received the Beta version of Yahoo Mail this extension causes my FF to crash.
Every update that I download for this extension works even poorer than the previous. I don't know what to do anymore....
What happens is that I "almost" get into Yahoo (site half downloaded) and then FF crashes and I receive the TalkBack dialogue. I've reported this failure more times than I can remember....
Other times the Yahoo site freezes, and I need to close FF from the Task Manager, because it stays open even if I don't see it.

Your help would be very much appreciated.
menet

Post by menet »

I uses the version 0.9.9, there is a little problem when i ask in EM to see the About on <strong>Yahoo! Mail Notifier</strong>. I seems empty, I have only : :shock:
- The icon of Yahoo : Y!
- Créée par : (Created by:) and nobody after
- Visiter la page web (Visit web page) a link that doesn't work. :!:
- Contributeurs : (Contributors:) and nobody after

With Console² extension, i see the following error : 8-)

Code: Select all

Erreur : window.opener.gExtensionsView has no properties
Fichier source : chrome://ym_notifier/content/about.js
Ligne : 21

I have another question about double clic speed, on the Yahoo! Mail Notifier, there is the 5st FAQ about it, where you said : "The extension defaults to treating 2 single clicks that are within 300 ms of each other as a double click".
What is the duration by default for Windows, if we have let the default value, is it also 300 ms ? :?:

Best Regards ;)
Morac

Re: Working very very badly with Yahoo Mail Beta

Post by Morac »

Zikit wrote:But ever since I received the Beta version of Yahoo Mail this extension causes my FF to crash.
Every update that I download for this extension works even poorer than the previous. I don't know what to do anymore....
What happens is that I "almost" get into Yahoo (site half downloaded) and then FF crashes and I receive the TalkBack dialogue. I've reported this failure more times than I can remember....
Other times the Yahoo site freezes, and I need to close FF from the Task Manager, because it stays open even if I don't see it.

The beta version of Yahoo Mail does have a tendancy to crash Firefox, but that is a bug in Firefox, not my extension. You can check this by disabling my extension and loading up Yahoo Mail. I normally crash I'd say about 2 or 3% of the time when going to Yahoo Mail. Strangely enough though I only crash on one of my machines and not the other.

There is no way my extension can cause Firefox to crash when going to Yahoo Mail Beta. If it did, it would be a firefox bug in any case since my extension only uses javascript and components built into Firefox. In any case, my extension doesn't do anything different when you load the Yahoo Mail page than it does when you are just browsing normally which means you should crash on every page or never crash.

Basically if you uninstalled or disabled my extension, you would still crash. My first suggestion is to disable all your extensions and see if you still crash. Then disable all your plugins as well. Once you get to a point where you don't crash any more slowly start adding the plugins and extensions back in one and a time until you hit the crash again.
Morac

Post by Morac »

menet wrote:I uses the version 0.9.9, there is a little problem when i ask in EM to see the About on <strong>Yahoo! Mail Notifier</strong>. I seems empty, I have only : :shock:
- The icon of Yahoo : Y!
- Créée par : (Created by:) and nobody after
- Visiter la page web (Visit web page) a link that doesn't work. :!:
- Contributeurs : (Contributors:) and nobody after

With Console² extension, i see the following error : 8-)

Code: Select all

Erreur : window.opener.gExtensionsView has no properties
Fichier source : chrome://ym_notifier/content/about.js
Ligne : 21

That's strange I just tried it in Firefox 1.5.01 and it works. I'm pretty sure I originally tested it in Firefox 1.0.7 as well, but I haven't tried it recently. What version of Firefox (or other browser) are you using?
Also can you try again. I think I've seen this happen on an occasion or two for some reason.

menet wrote:I have another question about double clic speed, on the Yahoo! Mail Notifier, there is the 5st FAQ about it, where you said : "The extension defaults to treating 2 single clicks that are within 300 ms of each other as a double click".
What is the duration by default for Windows, if we have let the default value, is it also 300 ms ? :?:

I do not know what the default for Windows is, but it doesn't matter since the default value for this extension is 300 ms. Are you having a problem with double clicks? Basically I just put that in there for people who can't click at that speed. Unless your double clicks are being treated as 2 single clicks you don't need to change that value.
menet

Post by menet »

I know now how to reproduce the problem. It is caused by <strong>Mr Tech Local Install</strong> (I use the 4.6) <strong>when using tab for EM</strong>. :(

To have it, just configure MTLI to have in the options / Manager Hacks / Behavior / Select Window Target: <strong>New Tab</strong> (the default is New Window). I have done it on an empty profile. 8-)

I don't know if it is a MTLI bug because i have 50 extensions, and only YMN shows this error on my PC. :roll:

About the double clics, it was me that request to have the double clic to check mail to know if we have waiting mail.
There is cases where i have already 1 unread me shown by YMN, but i know what is this mail and i let it. But i can do a check mail by double clic to see, if the counter change or not. From time to time, it connects me to Yahoo mail page.

Best Regards ;)
Morac

Post by Morac »

menet wrote:I know now how to reproduce the problem. It is caused by <strong>Mr Tech Local Install</strong> (I use the 4.6) <strong>when using tab for EM</strong>. :(

To have it, just configure MTLI to have in the options / Manager Hacks / Behavior / Select Window Target: <strong>New Tab</strong> (the default is New Window). I have done it on an empty profile. 8-)

I don't know if it is a MTLI bug because i have 50 extensions, and only YMN shows this error on my PC. :roll:

Ok, I see what you are talking about. My extension has a custom about dialog box to add the icon in the about window, but I try to use the same method the normal one uses.

I found a fix for this, but since this can only happen if Mr Tech Local is installed and set to New Tab, I'm not going to rush out a patch to fix this.

If you want to correct it yourself you can change line 21 in about.js from:

var gExtensionDB = window.opener.gExtensionsView.database;

to:

var gExtensionDB = parentView.database;

Thanks for finding this.

menet wrote:About the double clics, it was me that request to have the double clic to check mail to know if we have waiting mail.
There is cases where i have already 1 unread me shown by YMN, but i know what is this mail and i let it. But i can do a check mail by double clic to see, if the counter change or not. From time to time, it connects me to Yahoo mail page.

I've noticed this on some occasions myself and just assumed I wasn't clicking fast enough, but recently I've noticed that it sometimes opens the Yahoo Mail page and checks for mail. I'll look into it a bit more. In the meantime you can change the value and make it slightly larger if you want. I may change the default to 500 ms for future builds if it causes problems.
menet

Post by menet »

using " var gExtensionDB = parentView.database; " works well :p

The default value of 300 is in 2 files :
- \defaults\preferences\ym_notifier.js "pref("extensions.ym_notifier.doubleclicktime", 300);"
- ym_notifier.jar\content\ym_prefs.js : "this.initPref(this.PREF_DOUBLECLICK_TIME, 300);"
Changing the 300 to 500, is the correction you want to implement in a future version ? :?:

I can implement it on my PC and see if i have always a problem or if it is corrected. 8-)

This change will be taken in account only for the double click in Yahoo! Mail Notifier ?

I will test it ;)
Morac

Post by Morac »

Yes those are the places I would have to change. If you want to test things yourself there is no need to change the files though. Just change the "extensions.ym_notifier.doubleclicktime" preference using the "about:config" interface (enter that in the location bar and then filter on ym_notifier).

The places you found are only used to set the initial value in the preferences file if it does not exist. If the "extensions.ym_notifier.doubleclicktime" preference already exists, those lines do nothing, so you can just change the preference.

Most of the time the 300 ms works well for me, unless my mouse slips while double clicking. You should probably set up whichever one you use less often to the double click.
Zikit

Re: Working very very badly with Yahoo Mail Beta

Post by Zikit »

Morac wrote:There is no way my extension can cause Firefox to crash when going to Yahoo Mail Beta. If it did, it would be a firefox bug in any case since my extension only uses javascript and components built into Firefox. In any case, my extension doesn't do anything different when you load the Yahoo Mail page than it does when you are just browsing normally which means you should crash on every page or never crash.

Basically if you uninstalled or disabled my extension, you would still crash. My first suggestion is to disable all your extensions and see if you still crash. Then disable all your plugins as well. Once you get to a point where you don't crash any more slowly start adding the plugins and extensions back in one and a time until you hit the crash again.

Thank you Morac for your very fast answer.
I'm not sure what to think.... Fact is that if I log into Yahoo Mail normally from their log-in page, I never crash, not on my computer nor on any other computer. Using your extension, I only crash/page freezes only the first time I try to get in. When I press the Yahoo Bata's troubleshooting page (seems you have a problem, what do you want to do....etc) if I choose to log-in again in Beta, then I have no problem.
I somehow do not think that other extensions are a problem since I've been using the same extensions for quite sometime. I've stabilized to several favorites, and do not experiment with any other new ones. I only update them.

My problems occur expecially when pressing the popping up notification, with the number of messages. If I let the pop-up to close, and then let some time to pass, the crash does not occur (or occurs only infrequently).

Hope I'm making sense....
Morac

Post by Morac »

I can look into it, but like I said all the extension does is tell Firefox to go to http://mail.yahoo.com using the loadURI function which is what Firefox itself uses to open pages. If that is causing a crash then it would be up to the Mozilla team to fix it. You should report the problem to http://bugzilla.mozilla.org and give them the talkback id. There are some similar bugs reported, but they require Yahoo Messenger to be installed: See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=322363

I found another bug report on crashes in Yahoo Mail beta and will post my findings there. You may wish to do the same:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=328787

Just some background information:

The reason I say it's not my extension, is because the extension does not contain any components. All the code is in XUL, XML and javascript. None of these are executable code which means that they themselves can't cause a crash. They can expose a bug in Firefox which can cause a crash, but this isn't something I can fix, especially if I don't know why Firefox crashed. The fact that people who don't have my extension installed have reported crashes also leads me to believe it is an issue with the interaction between Yahoo Mail Beta and Firefox.
Zikit

Post by Zikit »

Thank you Morac for your explanations.
I am not a professional in computers. I'm just a "Happy user" ! so, I don't think I can define my problems in a professional language. All I can do is explain in simple and plain words what is happening to me.
As I said, I did use TalkBack to report the error, and also reported the same to Yahoo Beta. (no answer from them - pity!)
I'll be watching this further, with and without the extension, and will post again.
Thank you for taking the time and trying to help me.
dark420bishop

Post by dark420bishop »

I haven't tried this tool in a long time and I just decided to give it another another go. It's GREAT!! It's exactly what I wanted. I just switched from another custom yahoo mail extension because yours is so much better! I really like the idea you had with the icon, the single/double/middle clicks all doing different things. From one programmer to another, thanks and great work!
Morac

Post by Morac »

dark420bishop wrote:I haven't tried this tool in a long time and I just decided to give it another another go. It's GREAT!! It's exactly what I wanted. I just switched from another custom yahoo mail extension because yours is so much better! I really like the idea you had with the icon, the single/double/middle clicks all doing different things. From one programmer to another, thanks and great work!
Thank you. I'm glad you like it. The only thing really holding the extension back right now is multi-user support. I just have to motivate myself to work on it at some point.