[Ext] Session Manager 0.4 to 0.4.3

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Ash_Rulez

SessionManager does not ask to save on restart

Post by Ash_Rulez »

First of all many thanks for this great extension!

I am using the MR Tech Local Install which adds the ability to restart Firefox with one click (or hot key Ctrl-Alt-R).

When I restart firefox using this function, SessionManager does not ask whether to save the current session or not.
I have activated the corresponding option and SessionManager asks me on every normal exit, like it should be ;)
So it would be great if this dialog would appear before a restart, too.

Best regards,
René
old zeniko

Re: SessionManager does not ask to save on restart

Post by old zeniko »

Ash_Rulez wrote:When I restart firefox using this function, SessionManager does not ask whether to save the current session or not.

This is how it's supposed to be, because restarting and shutting down aren't the same thing (a restart is a necessity caused by how the extensions/themes system work and which you'd do without if you could). If you don't like this behavior, you might want to try setting the pref local_install.enableSessionManagerResume to false.
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

zeniko,
I use the TMP style context menu for Session Manager constantly, and I think it's great.
I do have one little issue with it though (I just noticed it).
If I right-click on the toolbar, select Customize, bring up the toolbar pallette and then close it, the TMP context menu is no longer available.
I have to restart the browser to make it available again.
Any ideas on what might cause this and how to prevent it?
I'm using Session Manager 0.4.1.6+.
Thanks, Doug.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

I've updated the TMP style context-menu snippet to take toolbar customization into account. This should fix your issue.
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

zeniko wrote:I've updated the TMP style context-menu snippet to take toolbar customization into account. This should fix your issue.
Works very nicely... thank you.
axis

Unresponsive szcript bug in session manager

Post by axis »

Hi,
I hope I am in the right place to report this or get some help fixing it.... if not, please let me know.

I have what i think is a bug in session manager (the most updated version). Everytime I close Firefox (1.5.0.4 and the one that came before yesterday's update which I assume was 1.5.0.3) I get an unresponsive script warning with the option to stop the script or continue waiting. To get FF to close totally, I have to say stop script.... this happens no matter what Web site I am on or how many tabs I have open when I close it down.

to track down if it is Session manager, I disabled each extension I have one at a time and when I disabled session manager, it didn't happen. I then uninstalled and re-installed that extension and the same thing happened again. I then disabled each extension one at a time to see if it was conflicting with one of the others, and it still happened. I then disabled all my extensions except for session manager and it still happened.

When I close fifefox and watch the fifefox entry in the proccesses tab of Windows Task Manager, the amount of "Mem Usage"
Ay slowly creeps up from about 37,000 K to about 50,000 K until the unresponsive script box pops up (the main FF window is gone however). When I click "stop script" the entry goes away, my last session of FF pops up for less than a second and then it is closed. I tried increasing the dom.max_script_run_time entry in about:config (as sdescribed here http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=1659510) to 25 and all that happens is that the amount of time for the unresponsive script box to come up increases (obviously) and the amount of Mem Usage in the task manager for FF continues to creep up to above 100,000K....

So a script is hanging. Is there a fix or do I have to uninstall session manager (which never did this to me on my old system. this problem started with my new laptop).
the details:
Win XP Media Center edition
512 MB RAM (I know... I ordered more)
FF 1.5.0.4
sessionmanage 0.4.1.1

Anything you can think of would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Charlie
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

I'm not able to reproduce the issue you describe. Could you please try to see whether this still happens on a clean profile? And if it does, if the current <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">testing version</a> helps in any way? If that still doesn't help, please post the values of all extensions.crashrecovery.* and extensions.sessionmanager.* settings (which you can copy from prefs.js) and make sure that there are not errors in the JavaScript console (when you set the pref javascript.options.showInConsole to true in about:config).

Post by ******** »

hello. i am back, but i can't guarantee that i will be able to do much work on SM, as my knowledge of the code is limited, and i also have other plans for the summer.
Peng

Post by Peng »

Anyone here good with cloning, so we could just make another zeniko? :)
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook
SevenSeven

Post by SevenSeven »

Hello, does anyone know if it's possible to change the default click behavior of the toolbar icon?
Muescha

Re: Unresponsive szcript bug in session manager

Post by Muescha »

axis wrote:Everytime I close Firefox (1.5.0.4 and the one that came before yesterday's update which I assume was 1.5.0.3) I get an unresponsive script warning with the option to stop the script or continue waiting. To get FF to close totally, I have to say stop script.... this happens no matter what Web site I am on or how many tabs I have open when I close it down.

i have the same issue.

i get this "longtime script " dialog at startup and at shutdown firefox.

at startup it maybe results of FULL scanning each session file:
for retrieving the header of the file it reads the full session file

the bottle neck for shutdown i dont know ....
axis

Post by axis »

zeniko wrote:I'm not able to reproduce the issue you describe. Could you please try to see whether this still happens on a clean profile?

I set up a clean profile and installed just this extension and it did NOT happen. Do you want me to install all my other extensions on that profile? If not, then do you think this is a conflict with another extension? I run: Performancing 1.2, Gmail Manager 0.4.3.6, Greasemonkey 0.6.4, Another Delicious Sidebar 1.0, Forecastfox 0.9.0.2, Deepest Sender 0.7.6, Tabrowswer Preferences 1.2.8.9, and del.icio.us 1.1.

And if it does, if the current <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">testing version</a> helps in any way?

Should I try this on my default profile?

If that still doesn't help, please post the values of all extensions.crashrecovery.* and extensions.sessionmanager.* settings (which you can copy from prefs.js) and make sure that there are not errors in the JavaScript console (when you set the pref javascript.options.showInConsole to true in about:config).

would you like this information from my default profile anyway?

thanks!
Charlie
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

desertfox wrote:hello. i am back, but i can't guarantee that i will be able to do much work on SM, as my knowledge of the code is limited, and i also have other plans for the summer.

No worries. If you feel like working with the code - be my guest. And if you've got better things to do, please - by all means - do so.

Peng wrote:Anyone here good with cloning, so we could just make another zeniko? :)

I doubt I'd be that comfortable being cloned. ;) OTOH, maintaining this extension might get much simpler for Firefox 2.0 where about half of the code should be included and maintained by the core devs (myself included). And I'm sure that the interest in a session managing extension will continue...

SevenSeven wrote:does anyone know if it's possible to change the default click behavior of the toolbar icon?

Why, what's wrong with it? This won't be possible from within the extension itself, but should be quite simple to achieve e.g. through a userChrome.js snippet.

Muescha wrote:i get this "longtime script " dialog at startup and at shutdown firefox.

Interesting. I've never seen that happening. Would you mind sending me a copy of your crashrecovery.dat file for when this reliably happens, so that I can see whether there's need for optimization in file reading/writing?

axis wrote:Should I try this on my default profile?

No, on your regular profile. And if you get the prompt again, please also send me a copy of your crashrecovery.dat (see Session Manager's homepage for the e-mail address).
axis

Post by axis »

I'm sorry, I don't think I was clear because I m,essed up using the blockquote tag (don't ask ;) ).

I ran just sessionmanager in a new, clean profile and the issue did not occur. but I ran session manager with no oter extensions installed that I also use. do you want me to install them on the new clean profile as well (maybe one at a time) to see if there is a conflict that way or if there is something screwy just in my regular profile (I am very much not a coder so I don't know what is and is not possible).

OR, at this pont, would you like me to <blockquote>post the values of all extensions.crashrecovery.* and extensions.sessionmanager.* settings (which you can copy from prefs.js) and make sure that there are not errors in the JavaScript console (when you set the pref javascript.options.showInConsole to true in about:config)</blockquote> from my normal profile with session manager running and forget about the new profile I created as a test?

thanks and hope I am being more clear this time.
c
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

It would be great, if you could install your other extensions on the new profile and see whether the issue returns (which I doubt - at least in the short run). But since my current hypothesis is that this is due to an overly big crashrecovery.dat, I'd prefer it if you could just mail me that file when you get the prompt at shutdown the next time (please don't interrupt the script at that moment but let it finish).