[Ext] IMDb Preview 0.6.3 [2010-04-30]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Geva Zeichner

Post by Geva Zeichner »

You're welcome :)

Just wasn't approved yet. It's meant to be an official public release.
I'll probably name the version with some kind of letter if it's a test\dev\beta release.
Gilad Shalit is Free! Was held captive by terrorists since June 2006 for 1941 days. Was only 19 y/o when kidnapped.

My Extensions:
Hide Tab Bar 1.0dev.2 | IMDb Preview 0.6.2 | Gmail RTL 0.1.1
Max Karl Ernst

Post by Max Karl Ernst »

This is one very original and useful addon :)

I would like to ask for few enhancements tho :)

Firstly, it would be great to see an option to set image to float left so instead of this:

we could get something like this:

Secondly, pop up on pop up itself would be lovely, something like this:

And thirdly, there are sites that use redirect instead of direct linking, something like
http://www.something.net/jumpto.php?url ... tt0820466/

If there was to be an option to interpret url=http://www.imdb.com/* as link, this little addon would be a flawless gem :)
Geva Zeichner

Post by Geva Zeichner »

It should float to the left. Exactly like it's shown in the extension's preview images on AMO.
I did notice that the float doesn't work well when running on FF3 (which 0.4.2 still doesn't support) - something like in your screenshot.
If you are on FF2, then you found some kind of bug.
Which FF are you running and on which machine?
Last edited by Geva Zeichner on March 3rd, 2008, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gilad Shalit is Free! Was held captive by terrorists since June 2006 for 1941 days. Was only 19 y/o when kidnapped.

My Extensions:
Max Karl Ernst

Post by Max Karl Ernst »

Yeah, I'm running latest nightlies, so I guess that's just a glitch with betas?
Now that you pointed it out, I've checked AMO preview images, and they look great :) That means everything should look smashing if you eventually port it to FF3, so just ignore that part of my wishlist :)

[edit] One small glitch if you do ever consider porting in future: names of actors don't use full but relative url. It's ok when you're browsing IMDB but links break if you browse some other page.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b4pre) Gecko/2008030305 Minefield/3.0b4pre
käfer

Post by käfer »

Great Extension!

But I was missing the Genre on the Movie Preview, so I thought it couldn't be hard to add it...
I finally get it working, but one little thing I don't get...

In the above screenshot you can see that the Genre display "Kom?die" (Comedy) but it should display "Komödie". First off I thought it has something to do with Character encoding, but if you look at the Actor list there is an Actror where the umlaut is shown correct.

Do you have any idea why this could happen?

If you are interessted in the code, here is it

Code: Select all

Retrieve_Genre: function(source)
{
   var genre_source = -1;
   var genre_list = -1;
   var pos, genre;

genre_source = this.Retrieve_String(source, '<h5>Genre:</h5>', '<h5>Genre:</h5>', '</div>');

if (genre_source != -1)
   {
    genre_list = "<b>Genre:</b> ";
    pos = genre_source.indexOf('<a>', '</a>');
      genre_list = genre_list + genre + ' / ';
      pos = genre_source.indexOf('<a href=', pos + 8);
    }
    genre_list = genre_list.substring(0, genre_list.length - 3);
  }

return(genre_list);
},
Lion7718

Post by Lion7718 »

I have an idea..not all movies are posted with an active link..
right now I have Cooliris setup to search IMDB when highlighted.
How about adding a little right click when you highlight something..movie/name to search IMDB.

Geva Zeichner

IMDb Preview 0.4.3dev.1

Post by Geva Zeichner »

Version: 0.4.3dev.1
Size: 30KB
Date: 2008-03-15
Tested On: Firefox 2.0.0.12, Firefox 3.0b4
Compatibility: Firefox 1.5 - 3.0.*

Install v0.4.3dev.1

Subscribe this topic ! - Get this topic's updates and be the first to know when a new version comes out !

Changes:
  • FF3: Supports FF3 - toggle display and import, slow loading of images.
  • FF2: Regression in FF2's toggle display.

Notes:
Hi, I need you to please test if the slowness of image loading, in FF3, is occurring in your FF too. The slowness only occurs the first time the poster is loaded (when it still has not been cached) and sometimes accompanied by high levels of CPU usage.
I've also experienced some slowness in painting and dis-painting of the text area of the preview, when toggling. This didn't happen to me in the main page, but in a page like this, it did.
Toggling doesn't work in FF2 in this version, so comparing between FF3 & FF2 isn't possible with the same version. Comparing of the image loading - is possible.
Last edited by Geva Zeichner on July 13th, 2008, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Extensions:
Mirmax

Re: IMDb Preview 0.4.3dev.1

Post by Mirmax »

Geva Zeichner wrote:Version: 0.4.3dev.1
Tested On: Firefox 2.0.0.12, Firefox 3.0b4
Compatibility: Firefox 1.5 - 3.0.*

<a href="http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/imdbpreview/IMDb_Preview_0.4.3dev.1.xpi?download">Install v0.4.3dev.1</a>

<a href="viewtopic.php?t=408043">Back to topic's top</a>
<a href="viewtopic.php?t=408043&watch=topic" title="Get this topic's updates. Be the first to know when a new version comes out !">Subscribe this topic !</a>

Changes:
  • FF3: Supports FF3 - toggle display and import, slow loading of images.
  • FF2: Regression in FF2's toggle display.

Notes:
Hi, I need you to please test if the slowness of image loading, in FF3, is occurring in your FF too. The slowness only occurs the first time the poster is loaded (when it still has not been cached) and sometimes accompanied by high levels of CPU usage.
I've also experienced some slowness in painting and dis-painting of the text area of the preview, when toggling. This didn't happen to me in the main page, but in a page like this, it did.
Toggling doesn't work in FF2 in this version, so comparing between FF3 & FF2 isn't possible with the same version. Comparing of the image loading - is possible.

All seems fine here Geva I'm running FF 3.0b4, images on my previous version were out of synch, but this version fixes everything :-) Fast image loading and everything else is located and loading in it's proper place. I watched for excess CPU usage while loading an image or toggling between text and no real lag or excess CPU usage was noticed either. Thanks once again for this valuable tool.
Geva Zeichner

Post by Geva Zeichner »

Hi thanks for evaluating the version :)
Are you sure it isn't slower than the loading time in FF2? Again, it happens to me only for images that weren't loaded ever before.
And also, what system do you have? maybe it's noticed only on slow machines.
Mine is: WIN XP SP2 P3 1.12GHz 512MB

My Extensions:
Mirmax

Post by Mirmax »

Geva Zeichner wrote:Hi thanks for evaluating the version :)
Are you sure it isn't slower than the loading time in FF2? Again, it happens to me only for images that weren't loaded ever before.
And also, what system do you have? maybe it's noticed only on slow machines.
Mine is: WIN XP SP2 P3 1.12GHz 512MB

Seems fine with FF 2.0.12 opening new non cached links, the toggle with the dev build using FF 2 is screwed for me though. But that's fine I'll be using FF 3.b4pre until the full version appears.

My system is faster than yours Geva 4 gig ram XP SP2 and a 3 gig CPU

PS: With FF 2.0.12 the toggle option collapses to the image but will not re-open at all.
Geva Zeichner

IMDb Preview 0.4.3

Post by Geva Zeichner »

Version: 0.4.3
Tested On: Firefox 1.5.0.12, 2.0.0.12, 3.0b4
Compatibility: Firefox 1.5 - 3.0b4

Install v0.4.3

Subscribe this topic ! - Get this topic's updates and be the first to know when a new version comes out !

Changes:
  • Updated "not submitted" posters.
  • FF2's toggle works again.

Notes:
Possible slowness in usage with FF3 (described in the 0.4.3dev.1 release). Please notify me if you encounter such problems.
Last edited by Geva Zeichner on July 13th, 2008, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Extensions:
Max Karl Ernst

Post by Max Karl Ernst »

Works great for me :)

Please Geva, if it's possible to update those links from relative to absolute.
For instance, here's an example link from your post.
If you hover over actors names or try to click them, you'll notice all links are relative, adding forums.mozillazine.org in front instead of imdb.com.

Thanks, great work :)
Geva Zeichner

Post by Geva Zeichner »

Hi, the extension now has a new home on mozdev. It's still only partially built, but you're encouraged to start using the Bugs section so your requests could be more efficiently documented.

Your comments and suggestions are welcomed.

My Extensions:
Geva Zeichner

IMDb Preview 0.5dev.1

Post by Geva Zeichner »

Version: 0.5dev.1
Size: 52KB
Date: 2008-04-24
Tested On: Firefox 2.0.0.14, Firefox 3.0b5
Compatibility: Firefox 1.5 - 3.0b5

Install v0.5dev.1

Changes:
  • Basic draggability of the preview - needs improvements.
  • MyMovies comes to YOUR movie page!

Notes:
The first new feature is just something I've started working on a while ago but doesn't attract my main attention at the moment.
The second feature is what I'm really excited about.
Ever wanted to add a movie to one of your "MyMovies" list categories? Wasn't it annoying that each time the "Add" button would take you to another page? and in the end you found out the movie you are adding, already exists in one of your categories? Well, no more! :) The new feature brings the "preview" to new places. It now allows you to first see if a movie already exists in you lists, and even tells you on which one! And second, it now enables you to choose the category list you want to add the movie to. No more going through the pending list!
And most important - all of this is done without leaving your movie page! The extension integrates a MyMovies section right above the quick links section.

The new feature isn't a finished product yet. It sure is only in the beta phase. So I'm open to your suggestions and comments.
If you have some rotating loading indicators you think could fit in, it also would be nice adding.
Last edited by Geva Zeichner on July 4th, 2008, 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My Extensions:
Geva Zeichner

IMDb Preview 0.4.4

Post by Geva Zeichner »

Version: 0.4.4
Size: 30 KB
Date: 2008-05-04
Tested On: Firefox 2.0.0.14
Compatibility: Firefox 1.5 - 3.0b5

Install v0.4.4

Changes from 0.4.3:
  • Fixed: the plot stopped showing after a recent small change in IMDb's layout.
Last edited by Geva Zeichner on July 4th, 2008, 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My Extensions: