[Ext] LiveClick 0.3.7.0 (2010 April 25)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
protejohnny

Re: [Ext] LiveClick 0.3.0.0 (2008 July 11)

Post by protejohnny »

@vanjos72: Hmm. This sounds like a rather unusual problem. When you set the left-click action to "Open location" and you left-click a livemark, you're saying that no page is opened. Is that correct? Does this still occur if you set the "After visiting a live bookmark's location" option to "Do nothing"? Is the problem present if you revert to the last version of LiveClick (0.3.0.0b1; download it here)? Lastly, are you using a custom style to hide livemarks that are read? Sorry about all the questions, but it's hard to reproduce problems without certain details.

@zxcv12: What kind of script is it? Can you post the code (or link to it), so I can try it myself? Alternatively, do the favicons show up if the script isn't running?
vanjos72

Post by vanjos72 »

protejohnny - Mine is a pretty standard setup with no custom styles. It still occurs after making the setting change you suggested. I have reverted to 0.3.0.0b1 which was the version I was using previously with no problems. It is working fine again now after the revert. I have a tonne of addons loaded in Firefox (including some experimental ones) so it may be due to a clash of some sort. Not to worry - I'm happy again. Cheers!
zxcv12

Post by zxcv12 »

Uninstalled script. Still doesn't work. Don't think I have any other things installed that would interfere.
orangefoodie

Post by orangefoodie »

Much as zxcv12, it seems that favicons aren't working for me on livemarks on the bookmark toolbar, with the exception of the slashdot rss feed.
internick101

Post by internick101 »

Hi, thanks for the extension, I have one suggestion: Current functionality when 'Display favicons' is enabled is to set the individual Live Bookmark Location/Livemark Items/Links favicons upon clicking and loading that link. The reasons for this have been explained, but what this leads to inconsistency of the display of the links (clicked Items have the favicon, others and new ones have default rss icon), and it also unecessary, since the Items/Links inside the Livemark Menus are all from the same website anyway, so it isn't really important to distinguish them from other Items inside that Menu by setting the favicons of those Items/Links, unlike with the main Livemark Menus, where it makes perfect sense to distinguish the menus with favicons. So: my suggestion is to provide an option alongside the 'Display favicons', something like 'But don't change favicons of individual links/items in the Livemark Menus', so a user can enable the useful functionality of displaying favicons for the menus, while also keeping the links inside them consistent by only having the default rss feed icons for users who want that. Thanks
i.of.the.storm

Post by i.of.the.storm »

orangefoodie wrote:Much as zxcv12, it seems that favicons aren't working for me on livemarks on the bookmark toolbar, with the exception of the slashdot rss feed.

Hmm, strangely same here. I also wanted to add that it would be cool if Liveclick could change the livemark's title to include the unread/fresh count on a livemark. Don't know if that's really possible with an extension but it would be cool to have.
SaintedLegion

Post by SaintedLegion »

Feature request - could the 'description' part of feed items be displayed in the tooltip popup when you mouseover a feed item? At the moment the tooltip shows the item title. If it showed the description then you could get a better idea of the content of a news article before clicking through to the main article.
protejohnny

Post by protejohnny »

For those of you having problems with favicons, please check to see that Firefox is set to keep your history for at least one day. This solved the problem that zxcv12 was experiencing.

If you're getting some livemark favicons to appear properly but not all, please list the feed URLs with non-working favicons. You can PM me if you wish. I'd also appreciate it if you could include any addons you have installed that might change the appearance of bookmarks.

@internick101: There are some cases where the favicons of the live bookmark items aren't the same as the favicon of the parent, so the solution isn't as easy as it should be. However, I'll look into this and see if there's a way to do it. Thanks for the suggestion.

@i.of.the.storm: I'm working on an option that shows the unread count for each livemark. It could be a while as there are several pesky bugs that take priority.

@SaintedLegion: That's on the list of things I'd like to include, but I haven't got a chance to explore it yet. Again, I've got bugs to fix first.
kataho

Post by kataho »

Hi. I was one of a man having problem on favicon but not now. Let me tell you a secret.
Feed's favicon displayed is location url of feed property provided on last visit and data itself is from history, is that right? I found I had all feed icons in bookmark toolbar all go default orange square one. but I "open location" and see the site's favicon downloaded and restart Firefox, It was fixed. Cause of this behavior seems everyday I read feed item itself without visiting location url. Someday in the past, location url had been expired in history.

In some case, you can get feed even without visiting location url. It must be orange default one, not a favicon of the page publishing the feed.

I had fixed gmail feed item too. gmail feed gives us "mail.google.com/mail/" for location url.
It actually is a stub for forwarding and returns no favicon. "mail.google.com/mail/#inbox" where it forwards us to, have a favicon. So I added location url in feed's property "#inbox" . now I have a sweet gmail icon on my bookmark toolbar. EDIT: I found fetching feed task restores location url to original one, that means my mail icon's life is for few minutes.
LLane

Post by LLane »

I really like the features of this extension and would love to keep using it, but it seems to be conflicting with the Boox extension (http://joliclic.free.fr/blog/index.php? ... 1&pub=1#pr).

Boox is supposed to show me a tooltip that gives a preview of the feed's entry if I hover above a new item in a Live Bookmark. However, for me, this worked in the sidebar but not on the Bookmarks Toolbar. On a whim, I disabled LiveClick, and suddenly, Boox is showing the customized tooltip on the toolbar, too, which is where I keep and access my Live Bookmarks.

Is there any way to make the two extensions compatible? Would you be able to pinpoint the mismatch, perhaps, and fix it? I'd love to be able to use both these fabulous RSS tools. Thanks!
asin888

Post by asin888 »

Hi, I likes the function of live bookmark in Firefox, and I very like LiveClick.

One suggestion: Can you suppose the preview of the feed in the live bookmark?

The new version is expectant.

Thanks.
David.P

Post by David.P »

Hi and first of all, thanks for the GREAT LiveClick extension! :D

Here comes my feature request:

To me, it happens all the time (several times a day) that I accidentially move the mouse off one of my LiveClick RSS livemarks after having clicked on it. As I have set LiveClick to mark everything as read after having opened a livemark AND since I have set 'marked as read' means 'do not show item at all', I keep loosing the latest RSS news every time when I slip off a livemark only for a fraction of a second.

Therefore, it would be amazing if the mark as read setting 'mark items as read after viewing livemark menu' could be modified to 'mark as read only after xx idle seconds'.

This way, the read status could be rescued after accidentially slipping off a livemark icon in the toolbar.

Thanks heaps already for considering,

Cheers David.P
Dale_S

Post by Dale_S »

You can make a static change to the color of a menubar item by inserting the following into userChrome.css:
#bookmarksMenu { color: red !important; }
Is there a convenient place in your code to use a script to change the text color of the "Bookmarks" menu label from black to orange/red when a fresh item exists? This would be useful to me because I keep the Bookmarks Toolbar out of view and I often miss the alerts. Thanks
traviscn

Post by traviscn »

I would like to see LiveClick made compatible with the Stay-Open Menu extension
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6459

Stay-Open Menu is a extension created for Firefox® to keep the bookmarks or history menu open when middle-
clicking, to enable easily opening multiple items in tabs. I find it especially handy for RSS feed (Live
Bookmark) items.

At the moment the LiveClick reading options are not maintained.
Every livemark and item appears as normal text.
i.of.the.storm

Post by i.of.the.storm »

This is just for future reference when porting to Firefox 3.1, but in the 3.1 nightlies I get an error and new items aren't bolded or oranged, although old ones are greyed out.
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8052000e (NS_ERROR_FILE_IS_LOCKED) [mozIStorageService.openDatabase]" nsresult: "0x8052000e (NS_ERROR_FILE_IS_LOCKED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://liveclick/content/liveclick.js :: anonymous :: line 595" data: no]
Actually, now clicked items aren't greyed out either, so I guess they changed something with the css selectors or something like that.