[Ext] LiveClick 0.3.7.0 (2010 April 25)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
protejohnny

Post by protejohnny »

Actually, disregard my last message about "fresh" items. After testing out the extension for a few days, I've now decided that my previous definition was inadequate. The next (and presumably last) alpha of LiveClick 0.3.0.0 will include a revised definition of "fresh." The distinction between "new," "fresh," and "unread" remains, but the lifespan of a "fresh" item is considerably longer and more intuitive.

Hopefully you'll see for yourself when the next version comes out. If it continues to confuse, I'll try to explain (or redefine) it, as necessary. Thanks for your patience!
protejohnny

LiveClick 0.3.0.0 Alpha 4 (May 20)

Post by protejohnny »

LiveClick 0.3.0.0 Alpha 4 is now available for download. This will be the final alpha for this version as it's practically feature complete. Which means it's time for the beta testing! A few known bugs remain, but you'll undoubtedly encounter other problems or conflicts with other extensions. If so, let me know!

0.3.0.0 Changelog (new in Alpha 4 marked by ++):
+ Livemarks can be styled when fresh, read, and unread
+ Fresh style available for all Live Bookmark items
+ Styles can be mixed and matched
++ Live Bookmarks submenu added to Bookmarks menu
++ Option to mark all Live Bookmarks as read via Live Bookmarks submenu
++ Option to clear Live Bookmarks history via Live Bookmarks submenu
++ Option to open unread items in tabs via livemark menu; replaces "Open All in Tabs"
+ Option to open fresh items in tabs as LiveClick or via context menu
+ Option to keep livemark menu open after middle-clicking items
+ Option to mark items as read after viewing livemark menu, visiting site, or exiting Firefox
+ Option to alert after autoloading
++ New monitor: Tag new items (Smart Bookmarks)
+ Added a throbber icon to "Live Bookmark loading..." menu items
++ Added an error icon to "Live Bookmark feed failed to load" menu items
+ Framework in place to support Live Bookmarks in bookmarks sidebar and library
** Common LiveClick commands are now shown at the bottom of livemark menus by default
** "Open Feed" command no longer appears in livemark menu by default
* Numerous changes to strings and shortcut keys
* Rearranged LiveClick Options dialog

Known issues:
- Import/export/default settings not available
- Certain favicons are still too big
- Livemark menu is not re-styled if menu is open after reloading
- "Open All in Tabs" does not recognize livemark locations
- Cannot set a custom Site Location for a Live Bookmark (always reverts to feed's home page)
- Changing fresh livemark/item styles does not change new livemark/item styles
- Options dialog does not flex to fit contents
- Localized in English only

Note: this build is for Firefox 3 RC only!

Download v0.3.0.0 Alpha 4
Last edited by protejohnny on June 16th, 2008, 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wokavan

Post by wokavan »

Great update! One bug that seems to be making a comeback is the weird display of the preference window in mac osx. The bottom of the window is being cutoff, and it doesn't even seem to be consistently cutoff in the same place. I thought perhaps it could be worked around by going to the preferences via the "Addons" menu instead of the tools dropdown, but I've had it cutoff from both locations.
protejohnny

Post by protejohnny »

Thanks for the tip. I've been having slightly different problems with the Options dialog in all OS's, which is maddening. I'll keep working on it and hope to have it fixed by the next release.

Since you're on a Mac, do you mind testing if Growl works with this version of LiveClick? Thanks again!
Ngamer01

Post by Ngamer01 »

Johnny, there's two things that bug me about the latest alpha of LiveClick.

1) When you clear your Private Data, favicons for Live Bookmarks aren't saved. They are erased. Firefox 2's version of LiveClick didn't suffer from this problem of favicons being erased on Clearing Private Data. I know that LiveClick now stores Live Bookmark history on it's own, separate from Firefox, but could it save favicons too?

2) I've disabled everything related to feed reading/management (things like "Mark as Read" or show all new items as this color) and yet feed reading/management options are still accessible from the Bookmarks menu and Places (including by context menus -- right click). If I disable feed reading/management options, they shouldn't be still accessible unless I reactivate them in LiveClick's options.

I use Brief for feed reading, so I like using Live Click to have quick one-click access to sites or feeds and to be able to preview feeds via right click.

EDIT - Oh and kudos on adding the "Reload All LiveBookmarks" function to LiveClicks. Now I don't need to install the Reliby add-on anymore.
RealityRipple

Post by RealityRipple »

One problem and one suggestion: Monitored feeds don't save, apparently. The LiveClick Options in the tools menu should be optional. I'm getting tired of all these menu items in Tools for Add-On options when the options can already be obtained via the Add-Ons window (and in the Live Bookmarks submenu in the case of this extension).

@Ngamer01: Far as I remember, both the favicons and read/unread states were dependent upon the browser cache and history, but maybe I'm wrong.
protejohnny

Post by protejohnny »

This new version of LiveClick depends on the browser's history, but only in that history needs to be turned on (i.e. setting your browsing history to at least 1 day). The read/unread states are no longer affected by Clear Private Data or any other method that clears your browsing history.

Unfortunately, I did not take the favicons into account, so thanks for pointing that out, Ngamer01. I'll look into a way to keep the favicons permanent for live bookmarks. As for not using the feed reading aspects of LiveClick, I can't think of a way to disable them without drastically rewriting the extension. You're probably better off with a custom build, which I'd be happy to do after I finalize this version. (And, to be fair, Reliby lets you reload via a toolbar button, whereas LiveClick doesn't.)

RealityRipple, the monitored feeds seem to save okay for me. In Windows, at least. If you're using Linux or Mac, there could be a problem. Hopefully I'll be able to test that myself soon. As for the "LiveClick Options..." item in the Tools menu, it will be removed in the first beta.
RealityRipple

Post by RealityRipple »

I'm using the latest nightly on Windows XP Service Pack 3. After restarting the browser, the monitored feeds are all unchecked. Where are they saved to?
protejohnny

Post by protejohnny »

It's saved in the places.sqlite database. There are two other ways to monitor a feed. 1) Right-click a live bookmark and select "Monitor this Live Bookmark." 2) Open a live bookmark's properties and check the monitor item. If you do either of these and restart, are the items checked then?
RealityRipple

Post by RealityRipple »

Ya... now they won't turn off. :-\
protejohnny

Post by protejohnny »

RealityRipple, are other functions of LiveClick working? Specifically, if you mark a live bookmark as read, then restart, does the live bookmark remain read? This basically uses the same code as toggling monitors on/off, so I want to see if that's where the problem is.
RealityRipple

Post by RealityRipple »

Yes, to an extent. I've noticed if I close the browser before the bookmarks have a chance to load, those that haven't loaded and aren't cached are marked as unread.
protejohnny

Post by protejohnny »

I'm going to PM you a link to an updated version. It contains numerous fixes since the last released alpha, though I don't think it's going to solve your particular problem. I just want to make sure we're using the same exact version, so it's a little easier to find the source of the problem.
RealityRipple

Post by RealityRipple »

Alright, here's exactly what I have done (with the version you've given me):
[Pre-step] I have all live bookmarks monitored
[1] Right click a Live Bookmark and uncheck "Monitor Live Bookmark" (Right click again to double check, and it's unchecked now).
[2] Restart Firefox.
[3] Right click the same Live Bookmark. "Monitor Live Bookmark" is now checked again.
RealityRipple

Post by RealityRipple »

I think my places file is just corrupted by so many nightly builds. New bookmarks don't survive a reload, nor do changes. I don't think your extension is at fault.