[Ext] LiveClick 0.3.7.0 (2010 April 25)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
protejohnny

Post by protejohnny »

My places file was corrupted once before, though the problems then were nothing to the extent that you seem to be having. Have you tried restoring a valid backup or starting from a fresh build? If you could rule out LiveClick as the source of the troubles, that would be a major relief. And I definitely want to be certain that LiveClick isn't the cause of the corruption.
RealityRipple

Post by RealityRipple »

Ya... I've had similar problems in the past with bookmarks not responding correctly. I deleted my entire profile and started from scratch, and now there's no problem. Sorry for the false alarm.
protejohnny

Post by protejohnny »

No worries. I'm glad to hear everything's working now. If you encounter any problems with LiveClick in the future, just let me know.
protejohnny

[Ext] LiveClick 0.2.6.1 (2008 May 27)

Post by protejohnny »

Long story short, I've attempted to submit LiveClick updates to AMO on several occasions in the past few months. For various reasons, they're still awaiting approval that I suspect will never come, now that Firefox 3 is just around the corner.

One of the updates contains an important fix, especially for users who plan to export their LiveClick settings to a fresh install of Firefox 3. If this sounds like you (or you don't intend to upgrade to Firefox 3), please download LiveClick 0.2.6.1 from my server. If you intend to install Firefox 3 over your existing copy of Firefox 2, I don't think you'll need this update, but it won't hurt.

Note: this build is designed for Firefox 2 users only; it will NOT install on Firefox 3!

Download LiveClick 0.2.6.1 for Firefox 2

0.2.6.1 Changelog
* Fixed import/export settings bug when monitored feeds have URLs with querystring data
* 'Live Bookmark This Page' only appears when 'Bookmark This Page' does
* Fully localized: en-US, ca-AD, de-DE, es-AR, fr-FR, he-IL, hu-HU, it-IT, ja-JP, nl-NL, pl-PL, pt-BR, ru-RU, zh-CN, zh-TW

Changes inherited from 0.2.6.0:
* Added option to 'Reload Live Bookmarks' under Bookmarks menu
* Warn on autoloading many tabs (per feed)
* Show 'Open Location' and 'View Feed' commands in feed items menu even if feed fails to load
* Hide 'Live Bookmark loading...' item in poorly-formed feed items menu
* Hide 'Sort By Name' command in livemark context menu
* Isolated 'Reload Live Bookmarks' command from other commands in folder context menu
* 'Live Bookmark This Page' no longer appears when right-clicking text input fields
* Fully localized: en-US, ca-AD, de-DE, es-AR, fr-FR, he-IL, hu-HU, it-IT, ja-JP, nl-NL, pl-PL, pt-BR, ru-RU, zh-CN, zh-TW
Last edited by protejohnny on June 16th, 2008, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coeluh

Post by Coeluh »

Where can i find Firefox RC 3?
i.of.the.storm

Post by i.of.the.storm »

Hi, I hadn't realized you made alpha versions for Firefox 3, thanks! I love the new versions already. But I had one suggestion/wish, could you add separate styles for live bookmarks that are set to be monitored versus those that aren't? I have it set to monitor only certain feeds because otherwise I'd go crazy (feeds for reddit and digg always have new stuff, for example) and I don't particularly want those feeds to be attracting my attention since they'll never be fully read anyway. I think perhaps your fresh/unread distinction helps with that though, but I'm not fully clear on the distinction yet. Anyway, thanks for the great update, I really like it.

I also wish there wasn't an options item in the tools menu, since with MR Tech Toolkit/Local Install there's already a submenu for extension options and in any case it's not much harder to just set the options from the addons menu.

Edit: Now that I understand the distinction between fresh and unread, I love this new version even more. I have unread feeds set to look normal, and only fresh feeds will be distinguished, which is nice. I've always thought that Liveclick should be part of Firefox, because without it Live Bookmarks are kind of annoying, and after a long period of time not using Liveclick I realize how much I missed it.

Oh, one last thing, reloading all live bookmarks seems to lock up Firefox for a while, probably because I have a fairly large number of them, but it might be better to sort of pace the reloading aspect so that it doesn't freeze up as much.

Oh, another thing, it would be nice if you could apply styling to parent folders of live bookmarks as well, since I keep my feeds in a folder called Feeds and then have subfolders for different categories of feeds. That would be awesome if possible, but if not it's still great.
fanofthefox

Post by fanofthefox »

Is there a way to change the colour for New items? (orange->something else) If it's as simple as changing a hex number in some file, then I could do it myself, only if you can tell me where. :D
Navneeth
protejohnny

Post by protejohnny »

@fanofthefox: You can change the color of (or otherwise customize) new items by adding a few lines to your userChrome.css.

Code: Select all

/* Make new items blue */
.bookmark-item[liveclick="customfresh"]
{
   color: #0000FF !important;
}

Restart Firefox. Open up LiveClick's Options and go to the "Reading" pane. Choose "Custom" as the setting for Fresh Items. When you check a menu with new items, the items should be blue now.

You can also customize the feed's style, by adding lines similar to the ones above, except replacing liveclick="customfresh" with the phrase liveclickfeed="customfresh" . Also acceptable are the tokens "customread" and "customunread" .

For more information on userChrome.css, please visit Mozilla's documentation.
Last edited by protejohnny on June 16th, 2008, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
protejohnny

Post by protejohnny »

@i.of.the.storm: Thanks for the comments and your support. I'll try to answer your questions in order...

1) There's currently no way to define separate styles for monitored live bookmarks versus unmonitored. However, I might be able to add that feature at some point in the future.

2) The LiveClick Options menu item will be removed from the Tools menu.

3) The time it takes Firefox to start up and/or reload all live bookmarks is extremely frustrating if you have lots of live bookmarks. Unfortunately, this is a known issue with Firefox 3, not LiveClick. If you're a Bugzilla member, please vote or comment on Bug 329534. If enough people complain, hopefully the Firefox devs will take notice.

4) Folder styling will be added in a future version.
Last edited by protejohnny on June 16th, 2008, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fanofthefox

Post by fanofthefox »

protejohnny wrote:@fanofthefox: You can change the color of (or otherwise customize) new items by adding a few lines to your userChrome.css.
<code>
/* Make new items blue */
.bookmark-item[liveclick="customfresh"]
{
color: #0000FF !important;
}
</code>
Restart Firefox. Open up LiveClick's Options and go to the "Reading" pane. Choose "Custom" as the setting for Fresh Items. When you check a menu with new items, the items should be blue now.

You can also customize the feed's style, by adding lines similar to the ones above, except replacing liveclick="customfresh" with the phrase liveclick<i>feed</i>="customfresh" . Also acceptable are the tokens "customread" and "customunread" .

For more information on userChrome.css, please visit <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html">Mozilla's documentation</a>.

Wonderful! Thank you.

The time it takes Firefox to start up and/or reload all live bookmarks is extremely frustrating if you have lots of live bookmarks. Unfortunately, this is a known issue with Firefox 3, not LiveClick. If you're a Bugzilla member, please vote or comment on Bug 329534. If enough people complain, hopefully the Firefox devs will take notice.

I'm not a bugzilla member, but I'll register just for voting on that issue.
Navneeth
protejohnny

[Ext] LiveClick 0.3.0.0b1 (2008 June 17)

Post by protejohnny »

I was hoping to have LiveClick 0.3.0.0 Beta 1 public by the time of Firefox 3's official release, but the big day has arrived and the beta remains "pending review" on just got approval from AMO (Thanks, Brian!).

Download v0.3.0.0 Beta 1 (Firefox 3 users only)

0.3.0.0 Changelog (++ new since Alpha 4):
+ Livemarks (aka Live Bookmark folders) can be styled when fresh, read, and unread
+ Fresh style available for all Live Bookmark items
+ Read and unread styles can be mixed and matched
+ Live Bookmarks submenu added to Bookmarks menu
+ Option to mark all Live Bookmarks as read via Live Bookmarks submenu
+ Option to clear Live Bookmarks history via Live Bookmarks submenu
+ Option to open unread items in tabs via livemark menu; replaces "Open All in Tabs"
+ Option to open fresh items in tabs as LiveClick or via context menu
+ Option to keep livemark menu open after middle-clicking items
+ Option to mark items as read after viewing livemark menu, visiting site, or exiting Firefox
+ Option to alert after autoloading
+ New monitor: Tag new items (Smart Bookmarks)
+ Added a throbber icon to "Live Bookmark loading..." menu items
+ Added an error icon to "Live Bookmark feed failed to load" menu items
+ Framework in place to support Live Bookmarks in bookmarks sidebar and library
* Common LiveClick commands are now shown at the bottom of livemark menus by default
* "Open Feed" command no longer appears in livemark menu by default
* Numerous changes to strings and shortcut keys
** "LiveClick Options" menu item removed from Tools menu
* Rearranged LiveClick Options dialog

Fully localized: en-US, ca-AD, hu-HU, it-IT, ja-JP, nl-NL, pl-PL, pt-BR, ru-RU, zh-CN, zh-TW

Known issues:
- Livemark menu is not re-styled if menu is open after reloading
- Livemarks in chevron don't recognize LiveClick
- Livemarks in chevron ignore option to mark as read/unread after viewing menu
- "Open All in Tabs" does not recognize livemark locations
- Livemark read states not saved when Firefox crashes
- Livemark favicons not saved after clearing private data
- Clicking an alert after autoloading opens feed instead of location
- Option missing to "Monitor this Live Bookmark" when adding a live bookmark
- Live bookmark item icons don't match Linux style
- Incomplete locales (de-DE, es-AR, es-ES, fr-FR, he-IL) have blank strings (See this post)
- Conflicts with Official GaiaOnline toolbar
- Conflicts with extension CuteMenus when FlatStyle enabled

Firefox 3 bugs that affect LiveClick 0.3.0.0:
- 329534: Live bookmarks load way too aggressive (lock up browser)
- 364677: No preview for sniffed feeds that don't have a channel/link or channel/id
- 428690: Two entries added to history menu when visiting a page that redirects
- 431029: shouldn't be able to create new bookmark/folder/separator for livemark container
- 435124: Cannot move (drag, copy, or cut) live bookmarks that have no site location
- Cannot set a custom Site Location for a Live Bookmark (always reverts to feed's home page)

I'm currently updating the help pages and FAQ to reflect changes from the last major version of LiveClick. Until then, here are answers to some common questions new users of LiveClick 0.3.0.0 may have:

Q: When I upgrade to Firefox 3, will my LiveClick settings and monitored feeds be transferred?

A: No. Monitored feeds and reading styles will not get transferred. If you don't want to manually set your monitored feeds and reading styles again, you must follow these steps before upgrading to Firefox 3:

1) Install LiveClick 0.2.6.1 on Firefox 2; this version contains an important bug fix that never got posted on AMO.
2) Export your LiveClick settings from Firefox 2; look for the "Settings" button in the LiveClick Options dialog.
3) Install Firefox 3.
4) Install LiveClick 0.3.0.0 Beta 1.
5) Import your LiveClick settings into Firefox 3 (again, from the LiveClick Options dialog).

Q: Why are all my live bookmarks orange?

A: If a livemark (otherwise known as a live bookmark folder) is orange, that means the live bookmark has new (or fresh) items. If you view that menu, you can easily see which items are new (or fresh), because they'll be orange, too. When you click an item, close the menu, or open another folder, the live bookmark is no longer considered new (or fresh) and the livemark and its items revert to their normal appearance.

After you first install LiveClick 0.3.0.0, many of your live bookmarks may appear to be new (or fresh), even though you've already seen most of the items. This is unavoidable, but LiveClick will track your live bookmark history more accurately after that first instance.

Q: What's the difference between new, fresh, and unread?

A: Let's start with the term "unread" as it's the easiest to explain. A live bookmark item is unread if you are aware of the item (that is, you've opened the live bookmark's menu and seen the item's headline), but you haven't clicked the link or read the story to which it leads. The terms "new" and "fresh" refer to items that have not been seen before (that is, you have yet to see their headlines).

The difference between new and fresh is minor and relevant only if you monitor live bookmarks for new items. An item is considered new if it's the first time LiveClick has detected the item. In this case, the monitor is triggered (e.g. an alert pops up or a tab is autoloaded). After that, the item is downgraded to fresh. The monitor will never trigger for that item again, even if you don't view the livemark menu or visit the item.

Let me know if you have other questions or encounter any problems. Thanks!
Last edited by protejohnny on July 8th, 2008, 3:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
RealityRipple

Re: [Ext] LiveClick 0.3.0.0b1 (2008 June 17)

Post by RealityRipple »

There's a compatibility issue with the Gaia Online Toolbar where the Bookmarks Toolbar items don't display unless you refresh the interface by Customizing the toolbars. I'm not sure which extension is at fault, but I'd sort of rather deal with the developer who seems more interested in the community.
Outcast

Post by Outcast »

Can you add the option to disable the entries in the right click context menu? Thanks.
kataho

Post by kataho »

Great work. Lovely favicons are finally back.
I found two to report.
- When I create a livemark for gmail inbox, I can see gmail favicon once, but in a few millisecs. it goes generic livemark icon.
- I tried to apply custom style for unread and fresh feed. And in userChrome.css, wrote

.bookmark-item[liveclickfeed="customfresh"],
.bookmark-item[liveclickfeed="customunread"]
{ text-decoration:underline; }
This works properly for livemark title itself. but this makes completly all item not only feed items in its popup menu to be decorated with underline.
protejohnny

Post by protejohnny »

Thanks for the input, everyone! I'll answer your questions as best I can...

@RealityRipple: I installed the tektek.org GaiaOnline Toolbar 2.20080518 and it seems to be working okay with LiveClick. Both the Gaia toolbar and the bookmarks toolbar appear as expected. What version of Gaia are you using? Are there any specific settings that may be causing the problem?

@Outcast: I'll try to add a preference that hides the "Live Bookmark This" items from the context menu in the next version.

@kataho: After some experimenting, it looks like Firefox doesn't like the text-decoration style when it's applied directly to bookmark containers (like live bookmarks). I might file this with Bugzilla, but for now, you can replace those userChrome lines with this:

.bookmark-item[liveclickfeed="customfresh"] > .toolbarbutton-text,
.bookmark-item[liveclickfeed="customfresh"] > .menu-iconic-text,
.bookmark-item[liveclickfeed="customunread"] > .toolbarbutton-text,
.bookmark-item[liveclickfeed="customunread"] > .menu-iconic-text
{ text-decoration: underline; }

I'll look into the Gmail favicon problem. There are other sites that have similar issues with favicons never being loaded or saved.