[Ext] LiveClick 0.3.7.0 (2010 April 25)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
gossamergausman

Post by gossamergausman »

Thanks for the quick reply. I add the live bookmark via the Bookmarks menu, i.e. 'Subscribe to this Page'. You asked:
'If you create a live bookmark from one of the mixed up sites without adding a series of live bookmarks after that, does the Location URL take you to the expected site?'
Yes. It works fine.

My usual method of adding a lot of live bookmarks might be the source of the problem (maybe...). Not sure if I am able to explain it comprehensively, but:

(1) I open a lot of webpages in a row as tabs: e.g. pageA, pageB, pageC, etc.
(2) I open pageA's tab, and then click 'Subscribe to this page' to live bookmark it.
(3) Since it takes quite a while for the 'Add Live Bookmark' window to pop up (the one that lets you name the live bookmark and select the folder in which to create it), I open pageB's tab try to live bookmark it by clicking 'Subscribe to this page'
(4) Then I go to pageC
...and so on

So I get a cascading series of 'Add Live Bookmark' windows stacked on one another. I then add the bookmarks from them, one by one.

Then result is sometimes that the Location and Feed Location URLs sometimes get mixed up. For example, pageA's live bookmark has the correct Feed Location, but has pageB's Location URL.

This mixing up of Location URLs does not happen when I just bookmark a lot of pages.

Hope this helps.

Other than that I have no problems with the add-on. Thank you for creating it and for making me start to use feeds.
protejohnny

Post by protejohnny »

Thanks for the detailed reply. I was able to reproduce the problem as you described it. After further investigation, I realized that the problem has more to do with Firefox's code than with LiveClick's (the mix-up occurs even without LiveClick installed). The Firefox programmers probably didn't anticipate people adding live bookmarks en masse.

My suggestion is to avoid using "Subscribe to This Page" or the RSS icon in the location bar when creating multiple live bookmarks. Instead, try right-clicking the page and selecting "Live Bookmark This Page." The "Add Live Bookmark" dialog should appear, a tad quicker than it does with the "Subscribe" method. You can either complete this step now (i.e. rename the live bookmark and select its folder) or you can repeat the process with another tab or series of tabs (i.e. switch to another tab, right-click and "Live Bookmark This Page," etc.). If you do the latter, you'll still have your cascade of "Add Live Bookmark" dialogs in the end, except the locations shouldn't be mixed up when you add them, one by one.

I'll continue to look for a better solution to this problem or, if necessary, devise a new way to add multiple live bookmarks at the same time.

If you have questions or encounter any other problems, don't hesitate to let me know.
gossamergausman

Thanks

Post by gossamergausman »

Thanks for the reply. Let me just say again this is one of the best add-ons for mozilla so far. Using feeds used to be cumbersome to me until this came along.
protejohnny

[Ext] LiveClick 0.2.4 (May 8)

Post by protejohnny »

LiveClick 0.2.4 is now available at AMO (thanks Olive!). Not a major update, but it does contain a couple of enhancements and a fix for Mac users.

Download at AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2499

Complete 0.2.4 Changelog:
* 'Monitor This Feed' option added to Add Bookmark dialog
* Location URL retrieved from feed when creating location-free Live Bookmark
* 'Live Bookmark This Page' no longer appears when right-clicking images
* Fixed LiveClick Options dialog bug on Macs
* Fully localized: en-US, de-DE, fr-FR, hu-HU, it-IT, ja-JP, nl-NL, pl-PL, ru-RU

(Read the next post on how to get the updated es-AR, he-IL, or zh-CN locales.)
Last edited by protejohnny on May 30th, 2007, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
protejohnny

Post by protejohnny »

Just a quick note... My MozDev page has an updated version of LiveClick 0.2.4 that includes the es-AR, he-IL, and zh-CN locales. Other than that, it's the same exact version that's currently available on AMO. You can find it at http://liveclick.mozdev.org/installation.html (look for the "download this version" link). Once again, thanks to all my translators and the BabelZilla crew.
Mini_Man

Post by Mini_Man »

For some reason, sometimes I get one of two problems:
1. It says that my bookmark/RSS has no location, even when it does.
2. Sometimes when I click on one bookmark/RSS. It will take me to a different one that is on my bookmark list, and won't fix itself until I restart the browser.
fanofthefox

Post by fanofthefox »

Hi, I'm coming here after a long time, but I have been using this wonderful extension ever since its first release.

Of late (two or three months) I've been noticing that this extension has been "acting-up" a bit. To be clear, it notifies me when an RSS feed has new stuff in it and all that, but it shows me the incorrect number of entries. For example, the slider would say sitename(5), while the site would have only one unread item. I think the only site with which it works correctly is Slashdot. :D And sometimes, only sometimes-very rare, it would notify me of updates when there are actually none. (In fact, this happened a few minutes before I typed this post. I probably would not have mentioned it had it not happened.)

I know I should be providing more info like when it started and things of that nature, but I don't remember any of those, I'm afraid. I'm working with the latest version of the extension with the latest Firefox (Ubuntu version). I've been using Ubuntu long before this issue cropped up.
Navneeth
lolwhites

Post by lolwhites »

I have a dual boot XP/Ubuntu with Firefox 2.0.0.6 running on both. For some reason, this extension works in XP but not Ubuntu. Any suggestions?
Asumbaa

Post by Asumbaa »

Hello,

First, thank you for this very useful extension !
Second, please excuse my strange English, as it is not my mother tongue (thank you too, by the way, for the efforts made on localisation)

I have a strange behavior on my PC running Linux Ubuntu 7.04... Firefox is installed from tar.gz in /opt, and I also have the Ubuntu Firefox in /lib/firefox.
When I launch "Ubuntu Firefox", the extension is just doing fine
When I launch "my" Firefox, with the same Firefox profile, the only feature I get is the link to the website homepage when I click on the live bookmark folder. No favicons, no menu entries "set all read", "load feed" ; the main menu Tools -> LiveClick Options does nothing...

I thought I had a conflict with another extension but yesterday I finally found out that "Ubuntu Firefox" had no problem with LiveClick... And found this so weird that I wanted to tell you.

I have the last version of Liveclick and Firefox 2.0.0.6
Maybe it's the same issue for last poster "lolwhites" ?

Thank you if you can tell me how to fix this (or fix the extension if needed)

Edit : no right-click option "add a live bookmark" either, and I never had any notification :'-(
protejohnny

Post by protejohnny »

After a lengthy delay, development on LiveClick has resumed.

Here's the current status of reported bugs:
1) Locations being temporarily mixed up when clicking livemarks. I have not been able to reproduce this behavior. Still looking into it.
2) Incorrect number of new feed items. This should be fixed in the next release.
3) Ubuntu. I have not encountered any problems using LiveClick in Ubuntu (7.04 and 7.10). Still looking into it, especially shared profiles use.
4) Firefox 3. LiveClick will not work in Firefox 3, as currently written. Hopefully I'll have a compatible version ready by the time Firefox 3 is officially released, but it's unlikely that LiveClick will run on the alphas.

For future reference, if you encounter problems with LiveClick, I would greatly appreciate it if you could list the troublesome feeds, too. This often helps me reproduce the problem.

Thanks for your patience and your support!
Tuxman

Post by Tuxman »

Good news. :)
fanofthefox

Post by fanofthefox »

I had just started using Liferea, and BAM!, I see an update! :D First run after re-enabling LiveClick, I didn't see any incorrect number of entries in the slider.
Navneeth
protejohnny

[Ext] LiveClick 0.2.5 (November 12)

Post by protejohnny »

A new version of LiveClick is now available at AMO. It only adds one feature: an icon to indicate "fresh" feed items. It's a concept that I wanted to try out in limited fashion, so it only works with monitored feeds and you may not even notice it. Basically if a monitored feed has items that are "fresh" (i.e. new since the last significant feed update), the fresh items will have an orange bookmark icon instead of the standard white one. The icon will remain orange until you read the item (or mark it as read) or the feed is updated again with newer items. Also included in this update are a couple of fixes and more locales.

Download at AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2499

Complete 0.2.5 Changelog:
* 'Fresh' item icon (monitored feeds only)
* Fixed improper counts on alerts
* 'Live Bookmark This Page' no longer appears when right-clicking selected text
* Fully localized: en-US, ca-AD, de-DE, es-AR, fr-FR, he-IL, hu-HU, it-IT, ja-JP, nl-NL, pl-PL, ru-RU, zh-CN, zh-TW

Feedback is always welcome. Thanks for the support!
fanofthefox

Post by fanofthefox »

Whenever I open the toolbar customize dialogue (right click on toolbar empty space->Customize...), all the feeds lose their favicons and go back to the orange icon.

Ubuntu 7.10 Firefox 2.0.0.8 LiveClick 0.2.5
Navneeth
Incognito129

Post by Incognito129 »

Can you update for firefox b2?