[Ext] LiveClick 0.3.7.0 (2010 April 25)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
i.of.the.storm

Post by i.of.the.storm »

Hi, I love liveclick and I had a little suggestion for you. I love using live bookmarks and live click because they are a lightweight alternative to a heavier RSS reading extension that takes up a whole tab or a sidebar, but I kind of like seeing the summary of the item as well as the headline, because sometimes the headline does not tell you much. However, oftentimes I am just looking through headlines and the tooltip is nice because it fixes Firefox's flaw of cutting off long headlines. I was thinking that perhaps you could show the summary in the tooltip as an option (not enabled by default because it may be somewhat annoying for people not used to having a huge tooltip appear). I was also thinking that perhaps you could make it so that it only displays the summary in the tooltip after a set delay, such as 3s hover on the headline or something like that. Anyway, cool extension and I hope to use it with Firefox 3 when it releases.
MTMFan

Post by MTMFan »

I like Liveclick, but there's one thing I can't figure out. I can't get the styles for unread items to work. I'd like to have unread items show up in bold, but no matter what I do, they all look the same. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? I'm using version 0.2.5 w/ Firefox 2.0.0.11.
kuntsky

Limit autoloading feeds

Post by kuntsky »

Hi!

I hope this wasn't posted already but I didn't see it.

Something I'd really love is to limit how many tabs are opened when autoloading feeds. I love the autoload/monitoring option, but if you've been away for a couple of days and have news sites on your feed list, it tends to crash the browser, obviously! :) That is if 20+ tabs are loaded when starting your first Firefox session. Maybe something like "load 10", and once those are read, load another remaining 10, and so forth. Maybe not possible to implement, but it would kick ass!
Zzedar

Post by Zzedar »

There's an extension compatibility problem: when both When both Autocomplete Manager and Liveclick installed and enabled, whenever a new window is opened from an existing window (e.g., by certain JavaScript links), Firefox hangs for several minutes, using 100% of the CPU according to Windows Task Manager. Also according to the Task Manager, kernel CPU usage when this happens is 0%. Other factors that may be involved are the fact that I have a lot of Live Bookmarks, and that I'm using a several-year-old laptop, which is therefore severely underpowered.

I've already sent an email about this to the owner of the Autocomplete Manager extension.

Complete list of installed extensions, generated with ListZilla (note: not all extensions are activated):

Adblock Plus 0.7.5.3 - Ads were yesterday!
Add N Edit Cookies 0.2.1.2 - Cookie Editor that allows you add and edit session and saved cookies
Add to Search Bar 1.7 - Add any search on any page to the Search Bar.
Aging Tabs 0.5.2 - Makes unused tabs fade with age and highlights the selected tab.
Allow Right-Click 0.4 - Defeats web sites' right-click prevention scripts.
AniDisable 1.1 - Control animation of gif files via context menu.
Autocomplete Manager 2.2 - Provides advanced features for the address Autocomplete component.
British English Dictionary 1.19 -
Browse Images 0.3.5 - Browses all image links of a page.
BugMeNot 1.3 - Bypass compulsory web registration with the context menu via www.bugmenot.com.
Copy Plain Text 0.3.3 - Copies text without formatting
CustomizeGoogle 0.69 - Enhance Google search results and remove ads and spam.
DiggiDig 0.43 - URI extension
DownThemAll! 0.9.9.10 - The mass downloader for Firefox.
Greasemonkey 0.7.20080121.0 - A User Script Manager for Firefox
IE View Lite 1.3.2 - Cut down version of IE View by Paul Roub.
Java Console 6.0.03 -
Java Console 6.0.02 -
JavaScript Debugger 0.9.87.2 - JavaScript debugger and profiler
keyconfig 20060828.1 - Rebind your keys.
ListZilla 0.8 - Outputs an alphabetical list of extensions to a text, vB code, or HTML file.
Littlefox 1.8.17 - Littlefox, designed for optimal screen usage, leaving lots of room for browsing. Based on icons from art.gnome.org. Includes support for help, inspector, downloadmgr, forecastfox, downloadstatusbar, offline and many more. To uninstall first make this theme active, then 'uninstall' it.
LiveClick 0.2.5 - Turn livemarks into clickable bookmarks.
Menu Editor 1.2.3.3 - Customize application menus
Mouse Gestures 1.5.2 - Allows you to execute common commands using mouse gestures.
NextPlease 0.6.6 - Navigate next/prev search results with the press of a key.
OpenDownload 1.0.0 - Allows you to open any file from the internet into the OS assigned program.
Pennypacker 1.4 - Rate, tag & comment on Penny Arcade comics
Platypus 0.66 - Dynamically create GreaseMonkey scripts.
QuickNote 0.6.0.3 - A note taking extension with advanced features
RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin 1.0 - Detects all recordable content on the browser
Save Image in Folder 1.1.3 - Easily save images in personally customized folders.
Save Link in Folder 1.3.4 - Easily save links in personally customized folders.
Save URLBar 0.2.1 - Saves URL in location bar.
Show Image 0.4.2 - Adds context menu entry to reload images that failed to show on page.
ShowIP 0.8.05 - Show the IP address of the current page in the status bar. It also allows querying custom services by IP (right mouse button) and Hostname (left mouse button), like whois, netcraft. Additionally you can copy the IP address to the clipboard. This extension was formerly known as ipv6ident.
Stylish 0.5.3 - Customize the look of websites and of the user interface.
Tab Clicking Options 0.6.9 - Assign tab related actions to clicking events on a tab or the tabbar
Talkback 2.0.0.11 - Sends information about program crashes to Mozilla.
Tamper Data 9.8.1 - View and modify HTTP/HTTPS headers etc.
View Source Chart 2.5.03 - Draws A Color-Coded Chart of a Web Page's Source Code.
nikitas

Post by nikitas »

Zzedar wrote:There's an extension compatibility problem: when both When both Autocomplete Manager and Liveclick installed and enabled, whenever a new window is opened from an existing window (e.g., by certain JavaScript links), Firefox hangs for several minutes, using 100% of the CPU according to Windows Task Manager.

I'm the author of Autocomplete Manager. Yes, this is indeed a conflict. From a quick look, it seems that, upon opening a new window, in LC_Monitor.resetCounts(), LiveClick manipulates many bookmarks (livemarks?), causing a lot of asserts and unasserts on the bookmarks datasource, which in turn causes a lot of CPU activity on the part of my extension, since it has to monitor all bookmark additions and deletions, to add or remove them from the Autocomplete candidates list.

All this code will change for Firefox 3, which implements SQLite-based history and bookmarks, so this problem might be auto-fixed at that point. In the meantime, a solution to this probably entails me optimizing the handling of (un)asserts on the bookmarks datasource, and LiveClick not touching bookmarks that it doesn't need to.
Nikitas Liogkas
nikitas

bug report - initializing alerts service fails on Linux

Post by nikitas »

And a bug report. I'm running Firefox 2.0 on Linux, and I noticed that LiveClick fails to work properly due to the way the alerts service is initialized. In particular, a statement in in LiveClick.startup() fails, causing the extension to malfunction.

The fix is simple. Instead of doing this:
if ("@mozilla.org/alerts-service;1" in Components.classes)
gLC_Alerts = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/alerts-service;1"].
getService( Components.interfaces.nsIAlertsService );

do this:

try {
}
catch (e) { }

I'm not sure if this is specific to my system, but it renders the extension inoperable. Please look into it.
Nikitas Liogkas
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

The if ("@mozilla.org/alerts-service;1" in Components.classes) way of doing it is the correct way. There is probably something else wrong with your environment.

Phil
nikitas

Post by nikitas »

Philip Chee wrote:The if ("@mozilla.org/alerts-service;1" in Components.classes) way of doing it is the correct way. There is probably something else wrong with your environment.

Phil

I'm not sure if there is something "wrong" with my environment, but while the condition above returns true, attempting to get the alerts service throws an exception. That might warrant a different way of handling the issue, for the sake of other users who might be experiencing the same problem.

Thanks
Nikitas Liogkas
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Hmm. What is the exact error text of the exception being thrown?

Phil
nikitas

Post by nikitas »

Philip Chee wrote:Hmm. What is the exact error text of the exception being thrown?

Phil

Error: [Exception... "Invalid InterfaceID" nsresult: "0x80570018 (NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_IID)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://liveclick/content/liveclick-overlay.js :: anonymous :: line 26" data: no]
Source File: chrome://liveclick/content/liveclick-overlay.js
Line: 26

This is with Firefox 2.0 on Fedora Core 4 (kernel Linux 2.6.11). Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks.
Nikitas Liogkas
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

I am on Windows XP

Code: Select all

var gLC_Alerts;
if ("@mozilla.org/alerts-service;1" in Components.classes)

Firefox 2.0.0.11 result (no error)

[xpconnect wrapped nsIAlertsService]
QueryInterface: function QueryInterface() {
    [native code]
}
showAlertNotification: function showAlertNotification() {
    [native code]
}

Minefield result (no error)

[xpconnect wrapped nsIAlertsService]
QueryInterface: function QueryInterface() {
    [native code]
}
showAlertNotification: function showAlertNotification() {
    [native code]
}

Are you using an official mozilla.org build or one of those iceweasel thingies? Did you try with a new clean profile with only Liveclick installed?

Phil
nikitas

Post by nikitas »

Philip Chee wrote:I am on Windows XP ...

I'm using the official 2.0 version for Linux, no mods. This happens even with a clean profile. I assume that, on Linux, even though the alerts service component is present (hence the condition is true), it does not support the nsIAlertsService interface (hence the exception)?
Nikitas Liogkas
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

nikitas wrote:I assume that, on Linux, even though the alerts service component is present (hence the condition is true), it does not support the nsIAlertsService interface (hence the exception)?
Hmm. This appears to be Bug 360435 (nsIAlertsService not available under Linux anymore)

Phil
nikitas

Post by nikitas »

Philip Chee wrote:
nikitas wrote:I assume that, on Linux, even though the alerts service component is present (hence the condition is true), it does not support the nsIAlertsService interface (hence the exception)?
Hmm. This appears to be Bug 360435 (nsIAlertsService not available under Linux anymore)
Phil

Yes. Maybe this will get fixed in Firefox 3, but in the meantime...
Nikitas Liogkas
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

nikitas wrote:
Philip Chee wrote:
Phil

Yes. Maybe this will get fixed in Firefox 3, but in the meantime...
There are two things you could do.

1. Go to the bug and mark it confirmed. Also add a comment that you are still seeing the problem on 2.0.exact version. Also add the "regression" keyword to the keyword field.

2. Go to irc://moznet and ask in #extdev about what else can be used.

Phil