[Ext] LiveClick 0.3.7.0 (2010 April 25)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
protejohnny

Post by protejohnny »

Just checking in to let everyone know that I'm hard at work getting LiveClick compatible with Firefox 3. It's been a little tricky, given the changes to the bookmark system, but I'm nearly ready to release the first alpha of version 0.3.0.0. Several notable features will be absent in this first version. I'll post further updates as I move along and I hope to finish everything before Firefox 3 officially goes public.

Apologies for not responding to all of your comments. Rest assured, I've read all the posts here, and I intend to fix any problems and add the most wanted features in upcoming releases of LiveClick. I appreciate your suggestions and support.
eshabtai

Post by eshabtai »

protejohnny wrote:Just checking in to let everyone know that I'm hard at work getting LiveClick compatible with Firefox 3.

This is great!
I really want to switch to Firefox 3, but no way I'm doing it without LiveClick!
Waiting for the alpha version...

Thanks.
protejohnny

Post by protejohnny »

LiveClick 0.3.0.0 Alpha 1 is actually sandboxed at AMO, but I have no idea how you can access it. In any case, I recommend waiting until LiveClick Alpha 2, which should be ready by early next week. Alpha 2 will be downloadable from my new projects site, which doesn't exist yet either.

If anyone can figure out how to get Alpha 1 from AMO, here's the changelog:
+ Annotations used to denote feed reading states instead of browsing history (should reduce slowdowns with AutoComplete Manager)
+ Feed item styles can be mixed and matched
+ Feed item styling handled more efficiently
+ Framework in place to support Live Bookmarks in bookmarks sidebar and library

Known issues/regressions from version 0.2.6:
- Favicons support not available
- Monitors not available
- "Fresh" item styling not available
- Import/export/default settings not available
- Return of the menu displacement if open after reloading bug
- Only feed items accessed from a bookmarks menu are "read" (i.e. typing in the address or clicking a web page link will be seen as "unread")
- Marking all items as read/unread takes longer than it should
- "Open All in Tabs" does not recognize livemark locations
- "Open Unread Items in Tabs" not supported yet
- Executing a command on multiple Live Bookmarks in the Library do nothing
- Clicking a non-bookmark item in a bookmark menu will throw an exception
- Middle-clicking a context menu command of a bookmark in a subfolder fails to close menus
- Cannot set a custom Site Location for a Live Bookmark (always reverts to feed's home page)
- Localized in English only

Many of these will be fixed in Alpha 2. Comments are welcome as always.
lukeper

Post by lukeper »

Any updates?

I couldn't find a way to get Alpha 1.

Thanks,

Luke.
protejohnny

Post by protejohnny »

If all goes as planned, I should have Alpha 2 ready by Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning. Check back here for the link to download it.
protejohnny

LiveClick 0.3.0.0 Alpha 2 (March 25)

Post by protejohnny »

As promised, here's LiveClick 0.3.0.0 Alpha 2 for Firefox 3. I made a lot of progress since the last alpha, but it doesn't really seem like much when I look at the changelog. Feedback would be much appreciated, especially if you encounter problems.

0.3.0.0 Changelog:
+ Livemarks can be styled when new, fresh, read, and unread
+ Fresh style available for all Live Bookmarks
+ Styles can be mixed and matched
+ Feed item styling handled more efficiently
+ Annotations used to denote feed reading states instead of browsing history
+ Framework in place to support Live Bookmarks in bookmarks sidebar and library

Known issues/regressions from version 0.2.6:
- Monitors not available
- Import/export/default settings not available
- Favicons revert to default icon after reloading
- Livemark styles do not persist across sessions
- Return of the menu displacement if open after reloading bug
- "Open All in Tabs" does not recognize livemark locations
- "Open Unread Items in Tabs" not supported yet
- Executing a command on multiple livemarks in library do nothing
- Middle-clicking a context menu command of a bookmark in a subfolder fails to close menus
- Cannot set a custom Site Location for a Live Bookmark (always reverts to feed's home page)
- Localized in English only

Note: this build is for Firefox 3 Beta 4 and Pre5 only!

<a href="http://projects.protej.com/downloads/liveclick-0.3.0.0a2.xpi">Download v0.3.0.0 Alpha 2</a>
kataho

Post by kataho »

That is really great. I was supposed to continue to use 2.0.0.* with freezed liveclick, even after public release of Firefox3. But the pitiful future seems to be changed. Thanks a lot!
lukeper

Post by lukeper »

Thanks a lot, works great for me.

Will notifications be supported in the final version? That is the most useful feature for me.
protejohnny

Post by protejohnny »

Absolutely, notifications will be back in the next update or so. If you notice any problems or know of a good feature to add, let me know.
wokavan

Post by wokavan »

Thanks for updating this amazing extension, it was my main reason for sticking to firefox 2.0.x.

Quick question about the alpha, and maybe its because I haven't had enough coffee this morning, but what is the difference between New, Fresh, and Unread.

Thanks!
protejohnny

Post by protejohnny »

"New" refers to any items that showed up when the live bookmark was most recently checked. "Fresh" refers to items that were the most recent additions to the live bookmark, if no "New" items were found on subsequent checks. "Unread" refers to all other items that have not been "Read."

Here's an example. Say you set Firefox to update live bookmarks every fifteen minutes. You also subscribe to a feed that has new content only a few times throughout the day. When you open up Firefox, LiveClick finds two items that weren't in the feed when you last ran Firefox. These two items are immediately marked "New." Fifteen minutes later, Firefox checks the feed again, but finds no changes. The previously "New" items are now marked "Fresh" (and no items are "New" now). Fifteen minutes pass, Firefox rechecks the feed, LiveClick finds no changes. The "Fresh" items stay "Fresh." After a few checks like this, LiveClick finally discovers new content in the feed. The previously "Fresh" items are bumped to "Unread," while the new items are marked "New." And the cycle begins once more.

Basically, the intent is to highlight the most recent additions, at the same time allowing power users to distinguish them from the absolutely new items. By default, "New" and "Fresh" styles are the same. Monitors, however, will only fire when "New" items are found. Alpha 2 currently marks all "New" and "Fresh" items as "Unread" when you close Firefox. You'll be able to customize this behavior in the next alpha.

I hope all that makes sense.
wokavan

Post by wokavan »

Wow, thanks for the super quick reply, that makes a lot of sense. I think I was confused because right after installing the latest alpha all the items in my feeds were being marked orange, after a restart of firefox it seems to be functioning as you described.

One small thing i'm noticing with the new release: When you open a feed item(s) they don't get marked as "read" until the next Live Bookmark refresh for that feed. I'm pretty certain that in the old version of Liveclick, it marked items read almost immediately after clicking on them. Hope this helps.

Thanks again for a great extension!
protejohnny

Post by protejohnny »

When you open a feed item(s) they don't get marked as "read" until the next Live Bookmark refresh for that feed.

I've noticed this problem with feeds that are hosted by FeedBurner. Firefox 3 doesn't handle FeedBurner well for whatever reason. I'll probably file this with Bugzilla soon.

If the feed in question is not from FeedBurner, would you mind reporting the URL to me here? I bet it's the same problem and I'd appreciate another source to check out. Thanks!
Incognito129

Post by Incognito129 »

could you add monitors in the next alpha? Such a vital feature :\
protejohnny

Post by protejohnny »

Monitors will be available in the next alpha, which should be posted within the next few days.

On a similar note, if there are any Mac users out there, I'd like to have LiveClick make use of Growl, but I can't test it myself. Please PM me if you can help out. Thanks!