[Ext] Web Search Pro 2.7 Released 20070810

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
nettrotter

Post by nettrotter »

I support you to make a standalone version of drag@drop searches. Highlight the most important and make it lite.
old Captain Caveman

Post by old Captain Caveman »

2 little, but important, updates in a row. 2.7.1 fixed a couple of bugsies, and 2.7.2 fixed a couple more. I think I'm done now.
Most important bug fixed would probably be my stupid mistake to make a keyboard shortcut SHIFT + S... Ah well... It's now CTRL + ALT + S (to open the Search Engines and Settings window), and that will be editable in the next major release.
hanzen

Web Search Pro NOT working with Firefox 3.0b1

Post by hanzen »

At least not for me on Windows XP SP2. And I have a few suggestions for the software.

1. When I highlight a word and then right click and select a search engine under Web Search Pro nothing happens.

2. When I enter text into the Web Search Pro box and press Enter nothing happens. Even if I restore the traditional Firefox search window still and press Enter still nothing happens. Now Web Search Pro is disabled and everything is working just fine again.

3. There should be a way to allow the user to disable the content that will be searched in the Context Menu. Presently if I highlight "Disable Smilies in this post" each listing under Web Search Pro comes up with:

Search <engine> for "Disable Smilies ..."

Really, I do not need all this information and to me it is just clutter. I would much rather have it like the Search With extension used to work, so that Web Pro Search just comes up with the name of the search engine.

4. I cannot seem to disable the Drag and Drop Zones. I understand that it is a really cool feature, but I don't need the feature clutter. I don't want it, and I do not have the "Use Drag & DropZones" options checked in the Web Search Pro Options, but it is still insisting on showing up. UPDATE this was fixed after I restarted Firefox. Perhaps you should make a note that a restart of Firefox is required to change this option.

5. Installing WebSearch Pro makes setting a hotkey for a search engine incredibly difficult. Why you don't allow the user to still set a hotkey just kind of befuddles me. Now everytime I want to add a search engine I have to temporarily restore the traditional Firefox Search Engine window, add the search engine with the key, and then remove the Firefox Search Engine window. Really, there needs to be a better way to handle this.

6. In the flat mode I would like to be able to just add a very simple divider line, but you don't seem to allow this. I don't want to label my categories because some of them really don't have labels. This should be something that would be easy to fix.

I don't know if it is possible that Web Search Pro is conflicting with something else in Firefox, but it would be nice if you listed the extensions Web Search Pro has conflicts with. 3 above is definitely a deal breaker for me. I guess I can go back to Search With and configure everything manually if I really want this functionality. 5 is also a really important thing that I hope you can put in your roadmap, but I can live with that.
darkeforce

Post by darkeforce »

Is there any way to prevent Web Search Pro (v. 2.7.2) from automatically filling in the name of the current search engine in the search field when blank? That's causing more problems than help when I switch search engines (i.e. I have it set to search upon selecting search engine, and the auto name fill is making Firefox search for whatever search engine I was using last in the newly selected search engine).
darkeforce

Re: Web Search Pro NOT working with Firefox 3.0b1

Post by darkeforce »

5. Installing WebSearch Pro makes setting a hotkey for a search engine incredibly difficult. Why you don't allow the user to still set a hotkey just kind of befuddles me. Now everytime I want to add a search engine I have to temporarily restore the traditional Firefox Search Engine window, add the search engine with the key, and then remove the Firefox Search Engine window. Really, there needs to be a better way to handle this.

Have you tried clicking the dropdown menu for Websearch Pro, and selecting Search Engines and Settings at the bottom of the list, and then clicking the "Get more search engines" link on the bottom of the frame that opens? It sounds like you're just trying to do things the hard way, when there's a much easier way to do it.
p0peye

Re: [Ext] Web Search Pro 2.7 Released 20070810

Post by p0peye »

Hi,
thanks for a wonderful extension!

I use it to drag and drop the keywords to a specific search engine. I use approx 10 search engines all the time, simultaneously, and this is the fastest way to search (that I found out).
At first, the search engines was all over my screen, but later I realized it is not a problem to "hit" the box even if it smaller. :roll:
So, the new plan was: not to use the whole screen for search drop-boxes, but to put them in two lines:
-at the very top of the display area, and at the very bottom.
Reason: I wanted to be able to select the text and drop it on current web page's input areas ("Auto fill" :) ). And threre is the problem.
Even if I have the search boxes at the margins of the screen, when I drag the text over the input fields - nothing happens.
Can this be resolved? :-k

Thanks again for a wonderful extension,
cheers,
p0peye