[EXT] Splash Screen - Beta1

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
slyfox

[EXT] Splash Screen - Beta1

Post by slyfox »

By: aldreneo(AKA slyfox), and mrtech

This is a beta testing build

This is beta1

Missing which will be in Beta2: Options screen, a disable option

So far only supported in Firefox and Flock

For beta1 you have to set settings in about:config

You can configure everything from window style, to sound, to loading message, and much more

just a note, for the splash image and sound the url preference setting for local files must be like this:
(make sure the slashes are forward)
file:///D:/Downloads/Sounds/mail2.wav
or
file:///D:/Downloads/Sounds/splash.png

Mrtech helped my allot on this extension, thanks

WARNING: THIS IS AN UNSTABLE BETA, ONLY FOR USERS WHO WISH TO TEST THIS EXTENSION

http://phpnub.berlios.de/splash.xpi
Last edited by slyfox on June 23rd, 2006, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
May the source be with you

[EXT] Splash Screen - 1.2 (100%), 2.0 (10%)

[EXT] Slyfox - The Firefox logger - alpha (3%)
spyder

Post by spyder »

i really like this one, i was googling for a splash extension.

Any plans for future developement?

My suggestions:
transparency option, fade-in or out option, and a dialog to customize these options (sound as well) instead of about:cofing . :)

great job , please continue on this.
Toad King

Post by Toad King »

It works fine for me, but the splash image takes about two seconds to load (not that much of a problem) then appears for two more seconds, disappears, and the browser takes about five more seconds to load. Is this intentional?

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.4) Gecko/20060617 Firefox/1.5.0.4 - Build ID: 2006061719

EDIT: Just looked at the code and saw that it is intentional. For a next release, I would think adding an event listener for the main window for loading would work much better than a simple timeout. I'm not sure if the window is actually loading that early in the startup process, but if it isn't, you could always set an interval to keep checking for it. (Unless there is a XPCOM component that can listen for a window opening event, which there probably is.)
slyfox

Post by slyfox »

This is beta and there is no dialog

You CAN change the timeout in an option

I was busy with school and such

I am back finishing it...In version 1.0 I am adding an Options screen, and a disable option

The window itself is sensitive to ram and CPU(In other words if your loading something else it will take 5 seconds to load the splash screen, therefor not showing)

As for XPCOM to watch the main window, I have never worked with XPCOM and therfore will be in 1.5(The scheduled version after 1.0)
May the source be with you

[EXT] Splash Screen - 1.2 (100%), 2.0 (10%)

[EXT] Slyfox - The Firefox logger - alpha (3%)