[Ext] MR Tech Local Install 5.3.2.6/6.0 Alpha 29 (04-8-08)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
wirubi

Post by wirubi »

okay, i've been having installing extensions lately (getting an error that says the addon failed to install beacuse of failure to write to the extension folder, or sometimes the extension looks like its installed but when you restart, its not there)

So i've tried reinstalling Minefield and using a new profile, and I found out that after installing LocalInstall 5.1.1, the problems with installling extensions come up, but when i uninstall 5.1.1 and reinstall some other extension, the exetension gets installed.

Another thing I tried is installing other extensions before 5.1.1 and then installing some other extension. Again the errors come up.

I don't know if its a bug with 5.1.1 or trunk. Or if its just happening with me.

[EDIT: i get the same probelm with NTT 1.1, so maybe its not a LocalInstall problem after all)
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

wirubi wrote:okay, i've been having installing extensions lately (getting an error that says the addon failed to install beacuse of failure to write to the extension folder, or sometimes the extension looks like its installed but when you restart, its not there)

So i've tried reinstalling Minefield and using a new profile, and I found out that after installing LocalInstall 5.1.1, the problems with installling extensions come up, but when i uninstall 5.1.1 and reinstall some other extension, the exetension gets installed.

Another thing I tried is installing other extensions before 5.1.1 and then installing some other extension. Again the errors come up.

I don't know if its a bug with 5.1.1 or trunk. Or if its just happening with me.

[EDIT: i get the same probelm with NTT 1.1, so maybe its not a LocalInstall problem after all)

just a few things:
- try disabling archiving if enabled
- are you using the Install button or menu options or are you just dragging the extension/theme over to the window, if not try that and see if that work.
- enable "javascript.options.showInConsole" & "javascript.options.strict" option in the about:config window and check the Tools|Error Console
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

just an fyi I do know about #342098 [Firefox:Extension/Theme Manager]-Refactor startup in extensions.js so that showView will only ever be called once [All]

This update affects how the Local Install switches the Addons manager view when in a tab or sidebar and I think there are some side effects from code I'm working on right now, I'm working on updating Local Install to support this change, please stay tuned.
ehume

Post by ehume »

You may wish to look at the latest Bon Echo builds.

I'm using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1a3) Gecko/20060629 BonEcho/2.0a3 - Build ID: 2006062915 (date/time: 2006-06-29-1611).

The Install button is gone, both with MTLI enabled and disabled. I can get at the install function from the File menu in the Add-Ons window, but that button is gone.

I don't know if it's a bug or a feature, and I'm too tired to chase it down: I've been coping with the new tab scroll buttons and other bugfixes for my themes.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
dbMorris

Post by dbMorris »

ehume wrote: The Install button is gone, both with MTLI enabled and disabled. I can get at the install function from the File menu in the Add-Ons window, but that button is gone.

I agree with ehume ... I also have now lost the install button within the EM. It was available in the
20060628 build, but now gone in the 20062903 build I am using. I use the standard theme.
<a href="http://www.freewebs.com/dbmorris/systemconfig.htm" target="_blank" class="postlink">My System</a> | <a href="http://www.freewebs.com/dbmorris/firefoxconfig.htm" target="_blank" class="postlink">Firefox Extensions & Plugins</a>
Swami

Post by Swami »

Tony-E

Post by Tony-E »

Re the recent comments about the missing install button in the latest Bon Echo builds. It has already been addressed in this thread, see http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 82#2345682

If you want it back, go to about:config and change extensions.hideInstallButton to false.
dbMorris

Post by dbMorris »

Thanks Swami -

As a user interface professional, I don't see the logic with removing the install button -
I doubt mom&pop will be astute to know to use File>Open File to mean the same as install.

Be that as it may ... I will need to teach myself this new paradigm for my selective EM
installs going forward.

Update ... Thanks Tony E for the about:config entry.
<a href="http://www.freewebs.com/dbmorris/systemconfig.htm" target="_blank" class="postlink">My System</a> | <a href="http://www.freewebs.com/dbmorris/firefoxconfig.htm" target="_blank" class="postlink">Firefox Extensions & Plugins</a>
Tony-E

Post by Tony-E »

dbMorris wrote:As a user interface professional, I don't see the logic with removing the install button -
I doubt mom&pop will be astute to know to use File>Open File to mean the same as install.

Removing the install button was only part of the changes, there are plans to add a "Get Add-ons" button.
#342655[Firefox:Extension/Theme Manager]-Add-ons manager needs a "Get Add-ons" button [All]

The bug includes discussions about "Install from disk" as well as getting add-ons from AMO.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

thank you very much Tony E for pointing out that I've already added this feature locally, it saved me from having to type it out and post it.

Just for folks who want to know what else is in the works, enjoy:

5.1.1+ Released
<li> Added: Option for previously hidden feature to right-align version number in Extension/Theme/Addons window in the Manager Hacks|Layout tab of the options window. This version works with newer Addons window, previous hidden hack didn't.
<li> Added: Option to remove text labels from the Addons Manager icon bar in the Manager Hacks|Layout tab of the options window.
<li> Added: Option to hide the Install button in Extension/Theme/Addons window, this is due to Bugzilla <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=342656">#342656</a> where they have disabled showing the new Install button by default
<li> Added: bg-BG translation and updated a few others
<li> Updated: Major refactoring of Extension/Theme/Addons window padding and margins, also consolidated some duplicate code
<li> Updated: Additional disabling of unsupported features in the Options window based on version being used
<li> Updated: Cleanup of quite a few pieces of code in the Options/Settings window
<li> Updated: Updated list of non-local install preferences that should be exported/reset
<li> Updated: Better fit for temporary status messages in Extension/Theme/Addons list when installing, updating, uninstalling, disabling or enabling and extension or theme (applied when either Slimmode or Align Version to the Right options are enabled)
<li> Updated: Slight reorganizing of Manager Hacks|Layout tab, moved some options to the new Manager Hacks|Miscellaneous tab
<li> Fixed: Addons window would not show previously opened list on restart
ehume

Post by ehume »

OK. So where do we get 5.1.1+ ?
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
slyfox

Post by slyfox »

Good question...
ehume wrote:OK. So where do we get 5.1.1+ ?
May the source be with you

[EXT] Splash Screen - 1.2 (100%), 2.0 (10%)

[EXT] Slyfox - The Firefox logger - alpha (3%)
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

I may be repeating a previously asked request - searched both threads and didn't see it but have a feeling it has been asked before, so - forgive me and point me there, please.
Is it possible to have a date of the last update show somewhere in EM, next to an ext. version number maybe?
TIA!
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

dbMorris wrote:Thanks Swami -

As a user interface professional, I don't see the logic with removing the install button -

Be that as it may ... I will need to teach myself this new paradigm for my selective EM
installs going forward.

Update ... Thanks Tony E for the about:config entry.

File>Open File doesn't work for themes anyway.
Which could be a reason for the Install button being more needed in the TM than the EM (though it should naturally be in both if it's in one).
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

makondo wrote:I may be repeating a previously asked request - searched both threads and didn't see it but have a feeling it has been asked before, so - forgive me and point me there, please.
Is it possible to have a date of the last update show somewhere in EM, next to an ext. version number maybe?
TIA!

I think there were/are plans to add update date to the extensions.rdf, I'll check to see if it's there and then will ping R. Strong on this.