[Ext] MR Tech Local Install 5.3.2.6/6.0 Alpha 29 (04-8-08)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

charlie_ wrote:Well, I was able to finally resolve the whole mess.
I unpacked the profile that mrtech/local_install buggered up and started visually
parsing the files in it. I removed all the references to local_install in the chrome.rdf
file, deleted local-install.jar, re-named my replacement profile, and re-named the
profile that mrtech/local_install hosed back to it's original name. Then re-started
seamonkey, and all worked as it should.
WOW. There must be a more reasonable way to install/un-install this
extension - really. Sure. I could have simply backed up my profile before
installing mrtech/local_install. But after having been using browsers long before
mozilla/gecko/netscape ever existed, I don't ever recall having had this much trouble
with an ad-on/extension. Guess I'll just have to be more cautious when using this
developers tools - chalk one up as a reminder for the future.

Thanks again WildcatRay for your thoughtful reply. I greatly
appreciated it. :)

--Charlie

I'm glad to hear you got things working. However, please don't be too quick to blame this on Mel.

This is an extension that he has put together that works in at least 4 Mozilla products: Firefox, Thunderbird, Sunbird and SeaMonkey. In theory, he is dealing only with the 4 products. However, each has, I believe, 3 different versions for each of the main operating systems: Windoze, Linux, and Mac OS.

This version of Toolkit is as much about keeping the extension current with Firefox 3 and possibly Thunderbird 3 as it is about fixing existing bugs. Also, as reliable as the various Mozilla products can be, stuff happens even when following the proper procedure for uninstalling an extension. That is why the Mozilla Knowledge Base can be your most valuable resource when something like you just experienced just came up.

Good luck with your work. Also, you may want to drop back to the most recent version of MR Tech Local Install. It may be more suitable for SeaMonkey at this time.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

I LOVE MR Tech Local Install. I also love the new Toolkit. There is bug in the Toolkit that is a bit irritating. I read the last few pages of this very long thread and didn't see it reported but I don't have time to read all the posts in the thread so I apologize if this has already been reported.

After I install a new extension and restart Fx, MR Tech has the box under XPI Install Options: Enable Addons Compatibility Checking RECHECKED. This means that Fx restarts without my theme and without about 50% of my extensions. When this happens, I have to go into MR Tech Options and uncheck the box and then restart Fx a second time to get my theme back and all extensions working.

I realize this is is an Alpha build so I'm not complaining, but just wanted to point this out. In every other respect, this Alpha build works just great.
Scarlettrunner20

I LOVE MR Tech Local Install. I also love the new Toolkit. There is bug in the Toolkit that is a bit irritating. I read the last few pages of this very long thread and didn't see it reported but I don't have time to read all the posts in the thread so I apologize if this has already been reported.

After I install a new extension and restart Fx, MR Tech has the box under XPI Install Options: Enable Addons Compatibility Checking RECHECKED. This means that Fx restarts without my theme and without about 50% of my extensions. When this happens, I have to go into MR Tech Options and uncheck the box and then restart Fx a second time to get my theme back and all extensions working.

I realize this is is an Alpha build so I'm not complaining, but just wanted to point this out. In every other respect, this Alpha build works just great.

I am using Toolkit on Fx3 RC1 (I think..I internally upgraded and it says I have beta5 version but it is at least RC1 maybe 2) on XP Pro SP2 and Vista Ultimate.
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

@ Scarlettrunner20: With or without MTT, you can disable compatibility checking from the Firefox or SeaMonkey about:config or the Thunderbird Config Editor by setting extensions.checkCompatibility to false.
Best regards,
Tony
Scarlettrunner20

Yes, I know that. It has been set to false since I installed the first Fx3 beta. But it doesn't stop compatibility checking for extensions. That is why the first extension I install is MR Tech.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

BTW-Firefox 3 RC2 is now out. You can download it starting here and then going to the subdirectory/folder for your specific operating system (windoze=win32, mac or linux-i686).
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
RazorBoy

Post by RazorBoy »

I've found that, for some reason, that MR Tech Toolkit (Alpha 29) is preventing Minefield from loading up correctly. Specifically, it's taking about 3 minutes for the browser to load up. If it's not installed, it loads up just fine.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1a1pre) Gecko/2008060905 Minefield/3.1a1pre ID:2008060905
Killjay

Post by Killjay »

Try tomorrows nightly and see if the cause is a regression in Minefield. Trunk nightlies are at risk of being unstable. I have had good results with Shredder 3.0a2pre (aka Tbird trunk)
Killjay
Tower, request takeoff clearance, branch 3.0
Thunderbird cleared for takeoff, flyby @ mach 3.0b3 authorized
Morac

Post by Morac »

I'm running MR Tech Toolkit (Alpha 29) in Firefox 3.0 RC2 and the "enable all" and "disable all" functionality isn't working on the Addons window. Trying to use either results in an error (first is disable, second is enable):

Error: Illegal operation on WrappedNative prototype object = NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_OP_ON_WN_PROTO
Source file: chrome://local_install/content/local_install.js
Line: 2130

Error: Illegal operation on WrappedNative prototype object = NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_OP_ON_WN_PROTO
Source file: chrome://local_install/content/local_install.js
Line: 2134
Last edited by Morac on June 16th, 2008, 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diamanti

Post by Diamanti »

In Portable 3.0r2 i receive error in install:
"an error writing to the extension folder"
i changed path in option but the error is again.
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

Diamanti wrote:In Portable 3.0r2 i receive error in install:
"an error writing to the extension folder"
i changed path in option but the error is again.

Do you have write permission to wherever it's trying to write?
Best regards,
Tony
Diamanti

Post by Diamanti »

yes; WinXP
mcdavis

Re: [Ext] MR Tech Local Install 5.3.2.6/6.0 Alpha 29 (04-8-08)

Post by mcdavis »

I might just be doing it wrong, but I can't make the "My Config" button go away from the toolbar across the top of the Add-ons Manager. Is this a known issue?
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

mcdavis941 wrote:I might just be doing it wrong, but I can't make the "My Config" button go away from the toolbar across the top of the Add-ons Manager. Is this a known issue?

Yes.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

FYI: extensions.checkCompatibility is the about:config item that turns on/off the checking of extension compatibility. If this is set to false, then incompatible extensions should install and be enabled. This is in Firefox 2 and 3.

extensions.checkUpdateSecurity is the item that turns on/off the checking of extensions updating from secure sources (https: sites) like addons.mozilla.org. This is a Firefox 3-only property. An installed extension that is not set to be updated from a secure source will not be enabled if this item is set to true.

Also, if memory serves, both of these are "hidden" meaning they must be added to about:config as boolean type (false or true) variables and then set to false to turn them off.

If you find that despite the settings in MR Tech Toolkit, you have disabled extension you cannot manually reenable, then check for these two items in your about:config.
Ray