[EXT] Splash screen - Pre 1.0 (mrtech and slyfox)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Cato62 wrote:
slyfox wrote:All options are applied auto
As it says on the options screen it is setup like this(If the file is on 'c:\pizza.png') "file:///c:/pizza.png"

Thanks for all the options, so far! It's working well for me. Here is a screenshot of my splash screen (for those who are interested)

Glad to see all the features being tapped, if anyone else has freely distributable splash screen please email them to either slyfox or me (mrtech [at] gmail.com) and we may start a repository for splash screen and possibly for startup sounds.
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

mrtech wrote:Glad to see all the features being tapped, if anyone else has freely distributable splash screen please email them to either slyfox or me (mrtech [at] gmail.com) and we may start a repository for splash screen and possibly for startup sounds.

I think I got the image I'm using for the splash screen at deviantart.com. There are a ton of nice Firefox and Thunderbird wallpapers over there. If it wasn't from there then it was from mouserunner, or one of the other artists that he has posted at his site. Just an FYI for images relating to FF, TB and Mozilla. 8-)

P.S. - mrtech, I use most of your extensions and really like them a lot! Thanks for all of your hard work!
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

The Blood Series: BloodFire, BloodFire 3, BloodThunder, BloodSun, & BloodSong
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Nice job guys I really like what you've done. It's working great on both Bon Echo and Fx1.5.

My one request is for some way to disable the "Loading ..." text. I'm not sure what the UI would be for this. Maybe there should be a checkbox for whether it displays text at all, and then, if checked, the user sees a text box where they can enter the text to display or leave it blank to get the default.

Speaking as a themer, I just want to thank you again for creating this extension. I'm always looking for more screen real estate to decorate and this extension gives me a lot to work with. Thanks again for your great work.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

mcdavis941 wrote:Nice job guys I really like what you've done. It's working great on both Bon Echo and Fx1.5.

My one request is for some way to disable the "Loading ..." text. I'm not sure what the UI would be for this. Maybe there should be a checkbox for whether it displays text at all, and then, if checked, the user sees a text box where they can enter the text to display or leave it blank to get the default.

Speaking as a themer, I just want to thank you again for creating this extension. I'm always looking for more screen real estate to decorate and this extension gives me a lot to work with. Thanks again for your great work.

hmm, sounds fairly doable, we'll see what we can do, thanks.
spyder

Post by spyder »

here's my go, keep working on this extension, i love having firefox customized more and more :)
Toad King

Post by Toad King »

Extension works perfectly on Linux. Hope you keep working on it.

EDIT: Also, here's a quick function I typed up to detect if the main window has loaded or not.:

Code: Select all

function mainWindowListener() {
      var mainWindow = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/appshell/window-mediator;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIWindowMediator).getMostRecentWindow("navigator:browser");
      if (mainWindow) {
        if (mainWindow.Loaded) {
          window.close();
        } else {
          mainWindow.addEventListener("load", function(){window.close()}, false);
        }
      } else {
        setTimeout(mainWindowListener, 100);
      }
    }

I haven't tested it, so it may or may not work.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.4) Gecko/20060617 Firefox/1.5.0.4 - Build ID: 2006061719
slyfox

Post by slyfox »

Thanks so much, this will be in version 1.5(The next planned version after 1.0)
Toad King wrote:Extension works perfectly on Linux. Hope you keep working on it.

EDIT: Also, here's a quick function I typed up to detect if the main window has loaded or not.:

Code: Select all

function mainWindowListener() {
      var mainWindow = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/appshell/window-mediator;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIWindowMediator).getMostRecentWindow("navigator:browser");
      if (mainWindow) {
        if (mainWindow.Loaded) {
          window.close();
        } else {
          mainWindow.addEventListener("load", function(){window.close()}, false);
        }
      } else {
        setTimeout(mainWindowListener, 100);
      }
    }

I haven't tested it, so it may or may not work.
May the source be with you

[EXT] Splash Screen - 1.2 (100%), 2.0 (10%)

[EXT] Slyfox - The Firefox logger - alpha (3%)
slyfox

Post by slyfox »

EDIT: I got your code in there, It works will be in 1.0

Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

Just wondering, since I am a big fan of these "toys", are you guys going to do one of these for Thunderbird?

Just curious 8-)
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

The Blood Series: BloodFire, BloodFire 3, BloodThunder, BloodSun, & BloodSong
slyfox

Post by slyfox »

We will be trying

Old Greg S

Post by Old Greg S »

Is this screen considered a window as it's loading? The reason I ask is that I set background color to transparent while trying to use a radiused image and it appears like the transparent setting is showing my window background image, which would be correct, assuming the answer to my question is yes. If the answer to my question is yes, then my next assumption would be that it has to be this way, correct?
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

just an fyi, I'll be working on a few options for Splash, but in the meantime I went ahead and created an archive of splash screens that I received or had. It's nothing major, but if you have any that I can post with permission just send them over to slyfox or myself (mrtech@gmail.com), here goes:

http://www.mrtech.com/photos/firefox-splash-screens/
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

mrtech wrote:http://www.mrtech.com/photos/firefox-splash-screens/

Nice photos. Those Yosemite ones are especially nice.
Old Greg S

Post by Old Greg S »

Uncle Spellbinder wrote:
Also: Gotta problem. Just restarted. The splash screen showed up in the Windows task bar, but it wasn't visible. Maybe a conflict with another extension? Restarted several times, same result. Splash Screen is at default settings.

Same here. Disabling the extension, restart and enable, restart again gets back showing up.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

just an fyi we are working on the next test release and here is what's definitely included so far:
- Option to close Splash screen immediately after browser window opens
- Button to browse locally for splash image and/or startup sound
- Auto splash image size detection and padding refactoring
- Preview of splash image in options window
- Thunderbird support

also note that all options in the options window are set to auto-apply, this is to make it easier to preview images and reduce the button clutter on the bottom of the window.

we have some other features planned/in testing and should have an update released soon. don't forget to email me your splash screens and I'll post them here: http://www.mrtech.com/photos/firefox-splash-screens/

thanks.