[Ext] Gmail RTL 0.1.1 [2006-09-28]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Geva Zeichner

Post by Geva Zeichner »

Maybe they think that non-Hebrew/Arabic users don't need RTL writing or even know what it is. Which is probably mostly true. But they fail to see that some Hebrew speakers might actually want to use the English interface and write in it in Hebrew.
But that is just my opinion. You are welcome to ask them. It would be great if they will be persuaded to add the buttons.
Gilad Shalit is Free! Was held captive by terrorists since June 2006 for 1941 days. Was only 19 y/o when kidnapped.

My Extensions:
Hide Tab Bar 1.0dev.2 | IMDb Preview 0.6.2 | Gmail RTL 0.1.1
Drazick

Post by Drazick »

Geva Zeichner wrote:Maybe they think that non-Hebrew/Arabic users don't need RTL writing or even know what it is. Which is probably mostly true. But they fail to see that some Hebrew speakers might actually want to use the English interface and write in it in Hebrew.
But that is just my opinion. You are welcome to ask them. It would be great if they will be persuaded to add the buttons.

I always "bug" them on that. asking them to add the buttons to the English GUI.
We need more people to sak them to do it.

Will you contact them about it as well?

Thanks.
heferdl

Is this extension planned to support other webmails

Post by heferdl »

Hi Geva
do you plane to extend this capability to other webmails (like Yahoo mail)
or even if to be more generic to any WYSIWYG editor
(then the button should be to the FF toolbar)
Drazick

Re: Is this extension planned to support other webmails

Post by Drazick »

heferdl wrote:Hi Geva
do you plane to extend this capability to other webmails (like Yahoo mail)
or even if to be more generic to any WYSIWYG editor
(then the button should be to the FF toolbar)

Help us write them over and over again (Yahoo Mail, Gmail and Hotmail) till they will add it.
orizen

Post by orizen »

hi Geva.
The latest version of this great extension is "not compatible" with the latest ff 2.0.0.3 (when installing this version for the first time on a clean system).
But there's a strange thing though - i've had version 1.5 installed first and i installed this plugin and it worked.
afterwards, i've got an upgrade firefox notification and i did upgraded - and now it works in another computer i have ff 2.0.03...strange - maybe this could address the problem to be solved.
Drazick

Post by Drazick »

All we really need is this:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ ... swer=40283

In the English Interface.
So just Ask for it over and over here:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/requ ... _type=bugs

That would much better in the long run...
BugoK

Greate extension, thanks!

Post by BugoK »

Hey

I was looking for something like this extension for a very long time.
Many thanks!

Noam.
guyro

Great stuff - and a fix

Post by guyro »

Hi,

This feature is sorely missed in Gmail, and this extension worked like a charm. Thanks Geva for your work!

One patch for you -
The extension does not work as is on my hosted domain's Gmail. This was fixed easily by changing line 44 of overlay.js to:

Code: Select all

if ((/^http.*\/\/mail.google\.com\/(hosted|a)\/.*$/.test(doc.location.href)) || 

The URL I see when logged in to my domain's webmail is http://mail.google.com/a/mydomain.com/ and not /hosted/.

- Guy.
Geva Zeichner

Post by Geva Zeichner »

Thanks! I'll add it in.
Gilad Shalit is Free! Was held captive by terrorists since June 2006 for 1941 days. Was only 19 y/o when kidnapped.

My Extensions:
Hide Tab Bar 1.0dev.2 | IMDb Preview 0.6.2 | Gmail RTL 0.1.1
dubek

Great extension!

Post by dubek »

Geva: Thank you for the wonderful (and much needed) extension.

-dubek.
deanshi

Post by deanshi »

Hi Geva,

Thanks for a great extension.

I have a feature request:
Add a button that inserts the two unicode chars 0x200f and 0x200e at the cursor.
These are the invisible RTL and LTR.
It will allow mixing Hebrew and English on the same line: "עברית?, English!" can be fixed to "?עברית, English!" if you insert RTL followed by LTR after the "?" -- this is because the BIDI algorithm decides on the direction of "?" by its neigbors. If one is RTL ("ע") and the other is LTR ("E") it uses the paragraph direction. If you put a unicode RTL after the "?" it fixes the problem (the unicode "LTR" is only to make sure the rest of the text looks OK).

I was looking for a bookmarklet to insert unicode into my text and found your useful extension; unfortunately, it does not solve mixed English and Hebrew.

thanks
-- Shi
Mabelod

buttons missing when returning to a draft?

Post by Mabelod »

Hi,

I find the Gmail RTL add-on very useful, however it seems to me that the buttons are not showing when one returns to a draft email previously saved.

Could the buttons also show for draft emails?

Eyal
splintor

Post by splintor »

I just created a user script that does what the Gmail RTL extension does. It can be found in http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/10023 .
Geva, I credited you where I could, as the user script is based on the extension code. Please let me know (using splintor at gmail) if I did something wrong and somehow misused your rights on that code.

In the link to the script you can find the benefits of having it as a user script.

In addition, I've fixed the bug Mabelod just found - in drafts, the msg_count calculation returns 0, but you still need to iterate over the messages, so I set it to 1 in that case.
Last edited by splintor on September 29th, 2007, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hal9001

Thanks for completing what Google hasn't agreed to complete

Post by hal9001 »

I also tried bugging Google. Several times. So you're sort of my hero now.

A few comments, though:

1. The directional buttons only appear in Compose mode, but takes forever to load while replying/forwarding.

2. As mentioned before, Hebrew/English on the same line tends to break, as in the following example:

I wrote this:

...and got this:

Any ideas?
Now if you fix this and then make old Nokia phones write Hebrew SMSs in English interface, I will be forever indebted to you :)
talyaniv

Re: Great stuff - and a fix

Post by talyaniv »

guyro wrote:Hi,

This feature is sorely missed in Gmail, and this extension worked like a charm. Thanks Geva for your work!

- Guy.

I would really appreciate that. BTW, any connection to the legendary science teacher, Ester?

Tal