[Ext] Gmail RTL 0.1.1 [2006-09-28]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Tomer

Post by Tomer »

Geva, can you consider releasing a new version which implement this feature for hosted gmail services, in a similar manner to guyro's patch for hosted gmail services?

I can help you testing this feature it if it is required.

TIA.
Tomer.

✱ Mozilla Israel ✱ http://mozilla.org.il
splintor

Post by splintor »

Tomer wrote:Geva, can you consider releasing a new version which implement this feature for hosted gmail services, in a similar manner to guyro's patch for hosted gmail services?

TIA.

Hi Tomer,
Did you check my Greasemonkey script (which I mentioned earlier in this thread) that does the same? It seems to work with hosted gmail services as well. Please let me know if you have any feedback about it.

Regards,
splintor
Tomer

Post by Tomer »

splintor: I prefer the extension rather than greasemonkey script, since extensions have better security mechanism and can be updated automatically.
Tomer.

splintor

Post by splintor »

Do you have Greasemonkey installed at all, or do you refrain from installing it at all due to security concerns? If you don't have it installed at all, disregard this message.

If you do have it installed, but don't want to use my script, here are my comments:
Regarding security: I think Greasemonkey is considered safe as it is, as long as you don't install malicious scripts. Malicious scripts are dangerous, as each script has its own power to do what it wants. But then again, the same goes to extension. If you trust an extension writer, you can also trust an Greasemonkey script writer. Do you have a specific security concern you are referring to?

Regarding automatic updated: There are several solutions to this. My script add support for automatic updates through the User Script Updates script. Another option is to use the UserScripts.org Script Updater script.

Regards,
splintor
noamnelke

New Gmail version

Post by noamnelke »

Hi Geva!

I don't know if you know but Google has rolled out (to a limited number of users) a new version of gmail. It's not VERY different, but there are a few tweaks here and there. Only trouble is Gmail RTL doesn't work on it at all. I'm sure it's something you can fix in a second.

The new version has an "Older version" button so I can always go back, but maybe you want to update the extension now (and beta test) before the new version is rolled out to everyone.

If you don't have access to it - contact me at "Noam Nelke (a) gmail . com" (with no spaces).

Happy to help,
Noam.
orenk

Gmail update

Post by orenk »

Gmail has been enhanced and the RTL doesn't function with the new version (buttons do not appear at all), need to revert to the older interface in order to use this great RTL functionality
altebachoorim

Post by altebachoorim »

It seems like the Gmail RTL extension does not work under the new interface.

is this going to be updated?

תודה רבה

--------
לשחרר את הבנים, ולפטר את אולמרט
Tomer

Post by Tomer »

Geva, do you mind updating the extension, or at least tell us that it is obsolete? There are people whose using this extension, and since Gmail updated in the last few days we lost the RTL feature of the extension.

‎Thanks.
Tomer.

privman

Post by privman »

I've started a petition to ask Google to enable the RTL+LTR buttons, regardless of the interface language. I trust all "Gmail RTL" users will identify with the request - please show your support:

http://www.petitiononline.com/GmailRTL/petition.html

Geva - many thanks for your ever so useful extension. I just think it's time Google acknowledge the popular need and accommodate it themselves.

Nir Privman
Geva Zeichner

Post by Geva Zeichner »

Sorry for the late response.
Currently I'm not available for developing my extensions. I miss my Gmail RTL functionality too...
When I'll have time, I believe fixing it will be the first thing I'll do. But it probably won't be soon.

I've signed the petition too. I hope Google will listen.
Gilad Shalit is Free! Was held captive by terrorists since June 2006 for 1941 days. Was only 19 y/o when kidnapped.

My Extensions:
Hide Tab Bar 1.0dev.2 | IMDb Preview 0.6.2 | Gmail RTL 0.1.1
Tomer

Post by Tomer »

Geva, if you can't maintain your extension, you can ask someone else to do it. Mozilla Israel is a good start point for that.
Tomer.

yami

Post by yami »

Dearest Geva
Right-to-Left writers need you and your extention.
Unfortunately, it does NOT work with the most new interface of Gmail and you have to switch to Old Version [not basic HTML, it is in top right corner] to have your extention working.
Please go on and or cooperate with other developers to continue your work.
Regards.
privman

Post by privman »

yami wrote:Dearest Geva
Unfortunately, it does NOT work with the most new interface of Gmail and you have to switch to Old Version [not basic HTML, it is in top right corner] to have your extention working.
Regards.
How do you switch to earlier versions of Gmail? All I have at the top-right corner of the interface are the "settings", "help", and "sign out" buttons.
Am I missing something?

Nir.
noamnelke

Post by noamnelke »

privman wrote:
yami wrote:Dearest Geva
Regards.
How do you switch to earlier versions of Gmail? All I have at the top-right corner of the interface are the "settings", "help", and "sign out" buttons.
Am I missing something?

Nir.

Dear Nir,
You are probably using the older version of gmail. Here are a few things that have changed:
- "loading...", "saving..." etc. appear in a yellow box in the top-center instead of a red box in the top-right.
- When trying to close a message that's not yet saved you now get a warning.
- When an action takes a long time you get a "still working..." message.
- When composing you can add an "event invitation".
- Redesigned "More Actions" button.

If you don't have these features, you are still using the old version. Google are rolling out the new version gradually, so you'll probably get it soon...

Noam Nelke.
iboock

Post by iboock »

hi all a quick workaround for the meantime is to change in the settings to English (UK) as that has not been rolled out into the new version, you will still have the RTL button.