[Ext] SessionSaver .2d: new (rewrite)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Xanager

Post by Xanager »

That would be pretty cool to be able to save multiple sessions. Sometimes I have a number of tabs open that I want to be able to open up at a later date, but I still want to surf on to other things in the meantime. I think that TBE can do this. Have some sort of drop-down menu with a list of all your saves. I don't know how much more this would involve, and I'm pretty happy with what I have. However, it would be cool :mrgreen:
IGAU

Post by IGAU »

Well, there's one default save... I suppose rue could fairly easily adapt the main code for multiples and have some kinda GUI... I just want the restore option back, so I can manually choose it - rather than having to restore every time :)
Xanager

Post by Xanager »

Well, rue has been having me run various tests trying to get it to work, and he has finally achieved success. I hated being such a pain in the neck ;), but it works flawlessly now. Just wanted to let everyone know. Thanks to rue for his hard work.
rue

Post by rue »

IGAU:
In the interest of avoiding pref-hell, I'll just leave it at one stored session.
No need to overload when there's already: Bookmarks > "Bookmark This Group of Tabs..."
And I think I'll go with an "Automated" vs. "Manual" setting in prefs -- where Automated has the current sub-settings (autoload / crash recover), and manual would enable the menuitems from v.1x.
IGAU

Post by IGAU »

Points taken... thanks :) You're doing a great job.
Xanager

Post by Xanager »

rue wrote:IGAU:
No need to overload when there's already: Bookmarks > "Bookmark This Group of Tabs..."

Sheesh, that's exactly what I was looking for. I never even noticed the little box you could check to bookmark all the tabs in a folder. Thanks rue!
cloudkiller

Post by cloudkiller »

rue wrote:It'd be kinda kewl to start a "TBE-Replacements" project on mozdev-- to house this and other like-minded extensions. By itself, SS doesn't seem enough to warrant a unique subdomain.

I'm sorta new on the forums... but I was just wondering why the lack-o-love for TBE? I've been using it along with a few other extensions (open in ie, copy to clipboard, all in one gestures, quicknote) and i like it.
thedeadparrot03

Post by thedeadparrot03 »

TBE is pretty big, and it can break other extensions. It's not that it's bad, it's just that not everybody wants everything TBE can do, just some things. ;)
cloudkiller

Post by cloudkiller »

Don't mind me, i'm an idiot... I just saw the big thread about TBE and realized that i only use it to force new windows into tabs... it's now unistalled and i'm runing tab prefs...
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

Forgive me but i'm a bit confused (i think). Is there any way to recover the last session without having "automatically Restore session at startup" option enabled?? Or is it only when the browser crashes. I actually like the idea of having the last session restored manually, rather than automatically, sort of like RECALL extension funtionality. Or does session saver Already have this capability and i'm just missing it.

PS. rue, it's MW from AdBlock forum
rue

Post by rue »

Anon:
Yea- if you scroll up about 6 posts, you'll see it's coming.

Org:
I don't have menu-favicons on the mac, so I can't really verify.
rue

Post by rue »

nightly 10 pass2 is posted: <a href="http://adblock.mozdev.org/sessionsaver/sessionsaver-02-dev.xpi">Installer</a>, and <a href="http://adblock.mozdev.org/sessionsaver/sessionsaver.jar">jar-file</a>.
    settings window has new options: auto vs. manual mode.
Note: this build might fail for Firebird, having been hashed out quickly during some late hours. Also, if someone could post a shot of the settings window under Firebird -- to show what chrome-flags are passed.
chuonthis

Post by chuonthis »

Hmm...using Firebird 20040110 trunk and I have it on manual with the "save on shutdown" checked but it's not saving it on shutdown. I stored a session before shutting down, changed pages, then closed Firebird. Reloaded FB and clicked on restore session and I get the old session that I saved.
chuonthis extensions: [fx] BookKey 0.0.1, OpenBook 2.0.1.1, Update Bookmark 0.0.5.1 [tb] Buttons! 0.5.3.2, DeleteJunk 0.3.2, Flipping the Thunderbird 0.0.0.1, Folderpane 0.0.5, NNWODC 0.2.3
rue

Post by rue »

nightly 10 pass3 is posted (linked above)

Got it. A round of optimizations had chained two "if" statements, but I'd forgotten and assumed they weren't. That's what I get for coding at 4am.
chuonthis

Post by chuonthis »

Yah! "Save on shutdown" works now.

Now I wish SessionSaver had another feature but not sure if it'd be considered bloat...to be able to replace the current tab(s?) with the restored session. When I restore the session and have say, a blank tab open, the restored tabs all open after the blank tab and I have to close that tab and all is good. Not sure if this is how it's supposed to be or if it's because of all the other tab-related extensions I have installed. And not sure how the option would work...would it just replace all tabs? All tabs starting from the current one (and adding tabs if needed)? Or replace the current tab with the first tab in the session and adding the rest of the tabs to the right of the current tab? Or an option for all of these? Then again, not sure if it's worth adding because it's fine the way it is now. =)
chuonthis extensions: [fx] BookKey 0.0.1, OpenBook 2.0.1.1, Update Bookmark 0.0.5.1 [tb] Buttons! 0.5.3.2, DeleteJunk 0.3.2, Flipping the Thunderbird 0.0.0.1, Folderpane 0.0.5, NNWODC 0.2.3