[Ext] SessionSaver .2d: new (rewrite)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Esaltato

Feature request

Post by Esaltato »

I hope you consider this :)
I would like to see in new versions the possibility to right click a single session to pop up a list of all saved URLs (MyIE2 does this, if you want to check it).
Well, it would be the same if this was implemented as a sub-menu (but IMO this may introduce unwanted clutter).
I know that this estension should not be a duplicate of bookmarks, but sometimes it happens that you need that URL saved by SS and it's just not that comfortable to open configuration files or open 10 tabs to get it.
This, together with the possibility to rename/delete sessions via GUI, would really bring this extension to a higher level.
Not that it's not superb already eh :-)
wmc

Post by wmc »

Does anyone know if there is still development happening on SS? The message board hasn't really had any activity in a while.
gerardo_oliva

regarding session saver

Post by gerardo_oliva »

i got this message on startup...

Please post this error to Session Saver Thread:
browser.startup.page
[Exception..."Component returned failure code: 0x800ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED)
[nsIPrefBranch.getComplexValue]" nresult:"0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED)" location
"JS frame :: chrome://sessionsaver/content/sessionsaver.js :: anonymous :: line 91" data: no]

environment Firefox & Sessionsaver this are the versions:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8a) Gecko/20040516 Firefox/0.8.0+

SessionSaver v0.2d1 Nightly *build23.
blessings
Gerardo
Choda_Boy

Post by Choda_Boy »

Rue...where are you?
Ravenlock

Post by Ravenlock »

Quick question - does anyone know whether it's possible to copy a saved session (most preferably the default one that's saved when you close the browser) so that you can then open it up on another computer? This is pretty much the only thing keeping me from using FireFox full time now (I use Opera instead, at the moment) - I like to be able to leave work with some tabs open and keep reading them when I get to my home computer.

Opera allows me to do that with the "sessions" folder - I can just copy it to home and go. Is there a way to do it in FireFox?

Many thanks. :)
Rowne Mastaile
Location: Housed in a swirling neosma of scintillating thought and turgid ideas.

Post by Rowne Mastaile »

I did have a solution written here but it wasn't very good, let's try this instead -- I believe it'll be easier and suit your needs better.

-- Copying the Session From the Current Browser --

[Browser Window] Alt+T

Session Saver > New

[In the dialog that pops up] Travel

[OK]

[Browser Window] Alt+D

[In the navigation bar] about:config

[In the filter bar] sessionsaver.static.Travel.session0 (press Enter)

[In the dialog that pops up] Ctrl+C

[In a text file of your choice] Ctrl+V and Save

-- Restoring the Session to the Target Browser --

[In the text file you made/chose earlier] Highlight and Ctrl+C

[Browser Window] Alt+T

Session Saver > New

[In the dialog that pops up] Travel

[OK]

[Browser Window] Alt+D

[In the navigation bar] about:config

[In the filter bar] sessionsaver.static.Travel.session0 (press Enter)

[In the dialog that pops up] Ctrl+V

[Close All Tabs]

[Browser Window] Alt+T

Session Saver > - Travel (Select it, rather than making it like before)

-- We're Done Here --

<bounce> This should work for you, I believe. It should also be less clumsy. Note, you'll only have to create 'Travel' once on the target browser but you'll need to create Travel every time on the originating browser because creating that session also stores the current session.

I don't really know of a better way to do it than that. Maybe someone else will but in the interim, this'll work. I hope.
Ravenlock

Post by Ravenlock »

Thanks for the info - I do plan to have the transfer going both ways, though - once I've restored the session, should I then delete it? Can that even be done? Or will it just overwrite transfer every time I create it?
Ravenlock

Post by Ravenlock »

You know, I need to post in here again saying thank you *much* more strongly. Your method is brilliantly efficient, considering what all is involved in making this work. I've been using it for a few days now with no troubles at all. So thank you *very* much for filling me in.

Hopefully future versions of SessionSaver can automate this process more, but for now, your workaround is just great.
PMW@Orange

Post by PMW@Orange »

Is this version compatible with Firefox 0.9?

Plus - don't know if anyone mentioned this (likely so) - it would be great if there was a "clear all sessions" feature...
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

PiTaGoRaS

Post by PiTaGoRaS »

Is possible to save and restore the last session only on request with this extension (just like Avant Browser does)? I don't want the last session being restored every time FireFox is loaded, but only when I use a "Save & Close" button for example.
Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Uncheck "Restore at startup" in the options panel.
Rowne Mastaile
Location: Housed in a swirling neosma of scintillating thought and turgid ideas.

Post by Rowne Mastaile »

- Ravenlock

Yeah, having a "Travel" session makes it easy to pop sessions back and forth between browsers. It can go both ways, of course. You simply reverse which PC you're exporting-from/importing-to. Simply create Travel on whichever PC and then export it to the existing Travel on the destination PC. You can then ping-pong it back and forth.

It'd be handy though if Session Saver did do this and I would imagine it wouldn't be so hard to impliment. There'd basically need to be an "Export session" option and instead of creating a session, it would give you a session0 string which you could copy in a popup. Sort of like Monkeesage's bar. Have it popup in something like that so it can be copied. Then an "Import Session" option which allows you to paste a session0 string and dumps it straight into the default session and activates a 'session restore'.
wildman

SS on Mozilla 1.7

Post by wildman »

Anyone got a status on SS? I had it working in Mozilla 1.7b since upgrading to 1.7 it only restores last page visited, not all tabs. Does it work with Mozilla 1.7? How do I remove it & reinstall? -Just found this thread, only relates to FF though, will try in am gnite...
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 962#556962

Other links...
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.ph ... hl=session
http://aasted.org/adblock/viewforum.php?f=4
http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/?extension=ss

SessionSaver v0.2d1 Nightly *build23.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040616
Sen

Post by Sen »

"Yeah, having a "Travel" session makes it easy to pop sessions back and forth between browsers."
Nice idea, hadn`t considered that before.

At the moment i`m using the bookmarks FTP extension to share one bookmark repository between all the clients on my LAN.
Perhaps a similar method would work nicely with Session Saver.
IE : Chosen sessions can be exported on demand or automatically, with some sort of Session Manager button with the facilities to choose from available sessions and delete/create as necessary.

Sen